Show off your awesome KSP Pictures

Capt'n Skunky

Kerbol, as seen from my first interstellar probe. Unfortunately, this version did not escape Kerbol. Instead, it has a apoapsis of 100 million million meters away. Or 1,000,000,000,000. Unfortunately, the time to that distance is another 29 years, so yeah... I managed the distance by burning to the Mun, doing a burn at the periapsis towards Kerbin, then sling-shoting again around Kerbin to reach a final max speed of somewhere near 13500m/s.

screenshot4.png

Hopefully my next design will be able to escape Kerbol and go much farther...

screenshot5.png

It's so far away I had to mark it. I wonder how well solar panels and the sort work out here...

Uhc5B.png
Edited by NetBlitzer

Not a problem!

As for my first actual picture post in this thread in ages, my first successful...

CkrKe.png

This was using Erkle's docking mod, since I just wanted a really simple docking method for my next (or rather, 3rd time revision) project.

Edit: also as a test of the parachute system (we know the Mk 1-2 pods can handle the re-entry speed returning from the Mun), I decided to put both of these docked ships into a free-return trajectory after the Mun's SoI:

RWIXF.png
Edited by Ekku Zakku

Kerbol, as seen from my first interstellar probe. Unfortunately, this version did not escape Kerbol. Instead, it has a apoapsis of 100 million million meters away. Or 1,000,000,000,000. Unfortunately, the time to that distance is another 29 years, so yeah... I managed the distance by burning to the Mun, doing a burn at the periapsis towards Kerbin, then sling-shoting again around Kerbin to reach a final max speed of somewhere near 13500m/s.

I managed a solar escape, but it would have taken 68 years (roughly 6.5 hours at max warp) to do so.

Oberth effect is very useful. Getting into position and then applying that effect took close to an hour.

ySuDC.png

My chosen target was the sun. I burned from around 2800km to 2500km (peri of 2000km) and the mapping trajectory was bugging out. As I ejected some external fuel tanks, the kraken snatched them away and put them on a real elliptical trajectory, flinging them away from me at several km/s as I kept moving in a straight line.

Edited by cardgame

I finally finished and flew a rover version of my telescope. I was planning to go to the Mun, but an SOI bug sent me to Minmus instead.

Great job there! Well, you could set up a network of telescopes on top of Minmus highest peaks and cliffs, pointing them down to the frozen lakes, and observe future landings there from afar, for instance. Is that an idea?

Tonight I decided to build a little Probododyne probe and start to mess around with gravity assists, since those will be very handy in .17... So I sent my Palaran-1 probe on a slingshot path around the Mün, and learned two things:

1) I discovered the position of the 1st Münar Arch! By pure chance, the slingshot trajectory let the probe zoom by at >800m/s, at a mere kilometers of it! :cool:

2) 2280m periapsis is a bit too low in the area... :D

d3zls.png

Great job there! Well, you could set up a network of telescopes on top of Minmus highest peaks and cliffs, pointing them down to the frozen lakes, and observe future landings there from afar, for instance. Is that an idea?

I might make a telescope with several different zooms, would be pretty useful. I think several slim, stacked parts with cameras far in front of them should work.

Tonight I decided to build a little Probododyne probe and start to mess around with gravity assists, since those will be very handy in .17

I'm also experimenting with the satellite parts...

screenshot989.png

Am I doing something wrong?

I've been doing some work with my Astron-1 observatory platform, this time more arch shots at incredible distances (also take into account that I was orbiting at an altitude of 40km)

XJzxD.png

I managed to take a couple pics of the first arch, and here is my distance from the arch

cJ0kB.png

arch 2:

UnA3n.png

and here is my viewfinder relative to the arch

5sy4W.png

I managed a solar escape, but it would have taken 68 years (roughly 6.5 hours at max warp) to do so.

Oberth effect is very useful. Getting into position and then applying that effect took close to an hour.

-snip-

My chosen target was the sun. I burned from around 2800km to 2500km (peri of 2000km) and the mapping trajectory was bugging out. As I ejected some external fuel tanks, the kraken snatched them away and put them on a real elliptical trajectory, flinging them away from me at several km/s as I kept moving in a straight line.

I've also managed solar escape, but I was trying to do it in a design that would not be effected at all by the kraken. Hence why that craft is so small. Since then, using ion engines, I have been able to escape in a miniaturized craft that also didn't get torn to pieces.

Also, interestingly enough, that time of 68 years 10 days will never shorten as you escape Kerbol. It will always stay the same distance away. I hope they change this in the next patch. Would be nice to truly escape Kerbol for once. :P

Been working on an new project, the Planetary Exploration Platform, or PEP for short(I know, I suck at clever acronyms). In it's latest incarnation, it is able to land, scout the area for interesting features with a telescope, and deploy a rover to investigate.

J45iy.jpg

0C94f.jpg

UUa0E.png