Manned Venus Flyby - RSS

winged

Manned flyby of Venus was considered by NASA in the mid-1960s as part of the Apollo Applications Program.

The proposed mission would use a Saturn V to send three men to fly past Venus in a flight which would last approximately one year. The S-IVB stage would be a 'wet workshop' similar to Skylab, first using the S-IVB engine to launch the mission on course to Venus, and then venting of any remaining fuel to serve as home for the crew for the duration of the mission. The Apollo SM engine would be used for course corrections on the way to Venus and back to Earth, and for a braking burn before the Command Module re-entered Earth's atmosphere.

Apollo Applications Program was killed dead on August 16, 1968 when the House of Representatives voted to cut its funding from US$455 million to US$122 million. President Johnson accepted this as part of a larger budget deal that kept NASA’s near-term goals safe. The only AAP mission to survive was Skylab.

Manned Venus Flyby study (1967):

https://www.devin.com/cruft/19790072165_1979072165.pdf

http://www.wired.com/2012/05/2012-venus-transit-special-1-piloted-single-launch-venus-flyby-1967

Music: Mandala in the clouds - Bear McReary (Battlestar Galactica OST)

http://imgur.com/a/e87nC

[imgur]e87nC[/imgur]

In the near future I'm planning to make Voyager 2 recration and Constellation Mars mission. The second one will be my first serious crewed interplanetary mission and some sort of training before crewed exploration of outer solar system in RSS. Subscribe if you like it :)

Edited by winged

Thanks guys! However I don't think my video will ever reach the same level of popularity as Macollo's journeys. ;)

Well it's good enough for me, even better in some aspects. Macollo has the intriguing complexity and the satisfaction of multiple constructions working together, but you give us epic music and cinematographic experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4.01.2016 at 9:19 PM, Thraken said:

Awesome.  Can I ask what mods you used?  I'm guessing FASA.  Does that come with an IVA of the S-IVB Orbital Workshop?

FASA for Apollo capsule and Saturn V engines, DECQ Saturn V, Procedural Parts.

That was really, really good. But I gotta ask... The wet workshop thing. How the heck does a crew live inside a fuel tank and breath noxious fumes for a year? There's no way your going to get every molecule of fuel out. And how do you convert a fuel tank into a habitable area? Is that all built on the ground and just submerged with fuel?

1 hour ago, Motokid600 said:

That was really, really good. But I gotta ask... The wet workshop thing. How the heck does a crew live inside a fuel tank and breath noxious fumes for a year? There's no way your going to get every molecule of fuel out. And how do you convert a fuel tank into a habitable area? Is that all built on the ground and just submerged with fuel?

The Wet workshop is designed to be able to be purged of fuel before being pressuirized for habitation.

54 minutes ago, billbobjebkirk said:

The Wet workshop is designed to be able to be purged of fuel before being pressuirized for habitation.

Of course it does. But how does one live in an area once soaked in kerosene? How do you design habitation equipment to soak in fuel?

Edited by Motokid600

On 27.01.2016 at 8:29 PM, Motokid600 said:

Of course it does. But how does one live in an area once soaked in kerosene? How do you design habitation equipment to soak in fuel?

Kerosene? They used liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen in the third stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent. I've watched this a few times.

Doesn't performing the wetlab conversion after the ejection burn seem extremely risky? What would be the contingency plan if they had trouble with the conversion? I really like the idea of wetlab conversions, but this feels too risky to be considered. 

On 2/18/2016 at 5:47 PM, stratochief66 said:

Doesn't performing the wetlab conversion after the ejection burn seem extremely risky? What would be the contingency plan if they had trouble with the conversion? I really like the idea of wetlab conversions, but this feels too risky to be considered. 

The actual mission profile had the CSM transpose and dock prior to the ejection burn. So the crew would have had to endure an "eyeballs out" burn. In the event of a problem after the ejection burn, the plan was to separate the CSM and perform an abort burn with the SPS engine. If memory serves, the abort window was roughly one hour after completion of the ejection burn.

• 1 year later...
On 21.11.2017 at 9:14 PM, phoneix_007 said:

1. What's the mass of all consumables on board

2.Is the CSM fully fueled

3. Did you add any habitats or it's just tanks?

1. 10 t including tanks

2. Yes because I've had to slow down by 2000 m/s before reentry

3. No, S-IVB was supposed to work as a habitat after injection and purging of remaining fuel.

On 23.11.2017 at 8:36 AM, winged said:

1. 10 t including tanks

2. Yes because I've had to slow down by 2000 m/s before reentry

3. No, S-IVB was supposed to work as a habitat after injection and purging of remaining fuel.

I've just looked at your Imgur album about that mission and I saw an interior of the SIV-B stage. Is there a mod that adds wet workshop to KSP?

On 3.12.2017 at 10:55 AM, phoneix_007 said:

I've just looked at your Imgur album about that mission and I saw an interior of the SIV-B stage. Is there a mod that adds wet workshop to KSP?

I've used Skylab mod for this particular picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.