Am I crazy...?

Iam aspaceman

It is quite strange how in some senses previous versions were actually more stable. Take my 0.23 version (which I still use sometimes), it is modded with some of the most RAM eating mods: KW Rocketry, B9 Aerospace, and Interstellar. I frequently build monstrosities of up to 1000 parts. Now, my computer is a laptop, quite a good one, but still a laptop, so yes, it lags a lot. However I have never (not even once) experienced a crash during actively flying. Sure, it crashed plenty of times in the VAB, while switching ships, etc, but never in flight, so I never really lost any vessel. And the only Kraken attacks I've had are those where a Kerbal on a seat on a rover hits his head on the ground and gets flung into space at the speed of light... Fun times.

As has been proven everywhere the memory leak on scene shift/relaunch is still there even though it has been around for years already. And this has been the major reason why stability keeps getting worse.

The only leaks like you said they have fixed are the newly introduced ones, which is something that was much more simple since they knew what introduced it.

If you look at new features/parts vs optimizations and bugfixing you really cannot deny that it has gotten worse performance and reliability wise.

Things got more complex over time, that is for sure. They never actually finished adding major features (heat for example *is* a major feature, it is not an eyecandy only, that is for sure), so they never managed to get to the point where they have nothing left to do but bugfix and optimize. For all intents and purposes the game is still in beta. But from my experience with the game it was always rather stable. I do get a crash from time to time, but last time I checked it was like once in a month of gaming. I would have it running like 5-6 hours a day (playing 2-3 hours out of it, but leaving it on at all times while I'm away, something you do when you have kids, many, many, many unscheduled breaks). During that time it crashed *once* and it got me really surprised. Yes, there are part count limits and other problems, but it is a rather stable game (I have it with 20-25 mods, but none of them are part packs).

From devnotes it looks like we are finally getting into a phase where fixing and optimising is getting the focus, but bare in mind that shifting to new Unity engine *is* again a major change to the game.

In short, I do agree the performance has deteriorated over time, but I do believe the major reason behind that is that there just wasn't that much stuff running under the hood back in 0.17 compared to now, not lack of love from Harvester and the crew.

Your mileage may vary. It appears that the experiences that people have with game instability differ widely, with some individuals experiencing far more problems than others. (Occam's razor-- most likely because of different system capabilities and differing mod loads, plus no two individuals are doing exactly the same thing with the game...)

My experience... Rarely have crashes, and I run mods. I have an old x4 955 black. (so you can infer my specs)

I have had crashes with this game, but no more than mainstream games.

My Minecraft game crashes, as does my Lego Starwars on Wii, as does my xbox occasionally...

I don't know what you're expecting or experiencing. I do not experience the same thing as you.

...to expect my (new) windows based pc to run this game without constantly crashing to desktop due to the memory leaks?..

Yes.

And some other stuff that's more than 10 characters but adds nothing except ... scene changes still have a memory leak. Be happy with this other game you've moved to.

I find this all rather perplexing. My PC *blows*. It is a glorified note-taking word-processor, and I am playing a graphics intensive game on it. I am playing 1.02, and I have had exactly 3 CTD's; two Universe-Ending ones on entering another planet's SOI, and one hard-crash during a launch. This has happened in many 100's of hours of game play (exact figure unknown, but ~5/day for 6 months is my best guess. ...so easy to sacrifice sleep for this goddess...). But for each crash, it loaded right back up again.

I do suffer through 4-1 time expansion (a 12-minute launch to orbit takes me longer than an hour) on even 30 (thirty) part-count rockets, however despite the slowness, I find the game thoroughly enjoyable. My only secret is I have installed Zero mods. In fact, on this (still my first) play-through, I didn't even research The Claw, simply because it is referenced so often with Kraken attacks.

I think the evidence will likely show that, though not in all cases, it is as simple as More Mods = More Crashes.

P.S., I have successfully flown 1000 lift-off tons, 300+ part missions, so I am not simply avoiding "big things".

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

I think Varsi misunderstood the op's statement. KSP (windows) is still a 32 bit system based program and apparently it is a problem for squad to update this game so us windows based players aren't flooding the support pages with crash reports, etc. I very much hope that 1.1 comes out soon and these RAM issues are fixed.

You mean like running a 32 bit OS? Is that even a thing anymore with hardware that was bought this decade?

Did indeed mean 32bit system with 32bit OS. Some people still have those and think they have 4GB of memory since the specs say that. That is pretty much the only plausible cause for vanilla KSP to be crashing all the time that I can think of.

If that is not the cause then those people should really work with others to figure out the problem.

//Edit

Was mostly pointing at the post of Wolfos31.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.