HeatShield

Moach

ok, i know there's no reentry heat in the current version - but i find the lack of a heatshield quite unsettling nonetheless...

and what about trying to convince the kerbonauts that it's ok... it's like 'trust me - theres no reentry heat, you don't need a shield, it'll be just fine...' ;D

so, for peace of mind, mostly - i made us a heatshield ::)

heatshield.png

for now, it works as a decoupler - but you can just attach another decoupler to it and it fits inside mostly hidden...

once you separate, you can fly down through a nasty reentry and jettison it as you pop the 'chutes so it saves weight, and gets you a smoother landing

well, get it whileit's hot! (pun intended) :D

I'm having an issue in that the heatshield as decoupler doesn't form it's own stage, it becomes part of what is under it, so everything below it is ejected when the stage is activated.

A work around is to use 2 heatsheilds and set them to their own stage.

I'm having an issue in that the heatshield as decoupler doesn't form it's own stage, it becomes part of what is under it, so everything below it is ejected when the stage is activated.

A work around is to use 2 heatsheilds and set them to their own stage.

the heatshield will not form it's own stage - whatever you have directly attached to it will be jettisoned, so you must attach a second (regular) decoupler to it... ::) - this could by any type, i guess - your choice

You should give the heatshield an engine with no thrust power and lots of smoke, so during what would be reentry, the user could activate that stage and give the appearance of reentry smoke. (Or even flames)

• 2 weeks later...

You should give the heatshield an engine with no thrust power and lots of smoke, so during what would be reentry, the user could activate that stage and give the appearance of reentry smoke. (Or even flames)

Me want...me want very much.

don't worry.. flaming smoking heatshield is here...

will post video of it here in a few minutes but will wait to post the modified file and give moach first access to it since its his mod/creation and in case he wants to change anything..

and here is the video, warning the audio will probably be loud and yes it is slightly out of sync due to me forcing the frame rate to 30 using fraps so the audio's still running at 60fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7l8-pJxiUg

ok after almost 2 friggin hours of tweaking this crap, here is the final outcome of it..

images are 1920x1080 so they are going in spoiler tags..

VCWmF.jpg

qHQ4E.png

things that CAN NOT be changed..

*flame length is a constant, there is no way to shorten it without making a custom FX

*there is absolutely no way to make the heatshield look like its on fire from an under view unless the ships paint coding is changed which honestly theres no reason to.. it still looks bad ass from the side/top view..

* THE KERMANS WILL NOT SURVIVE A LANDING!!! they will instantly explode when they touch the ground, its a known bug with the ships and how they interact with the surface textures of the planet. until thats fixed you'll have to deal with it..

files are being sent to moach, if i don't hear back from him within a day or so i'll post them myself.

One thing you can do with the heat shield is to play a sort of astronautical billiards with it... after you jettison your last stage, shoot off the heat shield in the direction of the decoupler and the last stage, see how much damage you can do to it. I've made a couple of spent boosters explode this way, lol. 8)

I've found it useful in certain abort scenarios where the service module (yes, I do use a Yawmaster and deorbit engine as a service module) won't separate from the capsule with any real speed; hitting it with the heat shield causes enough of an explosion to get some separation so they won't collide when I let the capsule turn around for parachute deployment.

(I also use it on pretty much every design because I figure that some version will add re-entry heating, and if I'm used to designing with the heat shield's weight taken into account, I won't have to make a significant adjustment!)

I've found it useful in certain abort scenarios where the service module (yes, I do use a Yawmaster and deorbit engine as a service module) won't separate from the capsule with any real speed; hitting it with the heat shield causes enough of an explosion to get some separation so they won't collide when I let the capsule turn around for parachute deployment.

(I also use it on pretty much every design because I figure that some version will add re-entry heating, and if I'm used to designing with the heat shield's weight taken into account, I won't have to make a significant adjustment!)

yep atmospheric heat will be added at some point.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 8/26/2016 at 1:33 AM, Smokin'Boots said:

Please, if possible, reupload the image- I'm getting 404s. (Yes, I know this is old)

Not only is it an old thread, but the person you're trying to talk to hasn't logged on to the forum in over three years.  I'd say the likelihood of getting any response any time soon is... remote.

Locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If you're trying to track down usable textures for modding purposes, perhaps you could ask over in the Add-on Discussions forum.