Improved damage engine Idea

Pretty much the only thing that has been a constant problem for me was the truly "boring" damage. I wont suggest something like soft-body physics here because the would kill the performance but I recently had an idea while playing:

How about damage models, which are not soft-body but are multiple parts in one. Theywouldn`t constantly be rendered as such but would change model and spawn that piece of the part at its location.

Another Idea I had was impact on the controls once anengine or a winglet gets damaged ( Visually visible ) Stuff like the capsule being damaged resulting in you not being able to use it in outer space or non oxygen enviroments.

Or engines not being as accurate once damaged.

What also bothered me was that if you crash into something ( Like the ground ) most of the craft just disappears... Quite sad :(

Spending hours on the design and once it crashes it just vanishes out of existance with a poof...

I want parts to catch on fire when an engine is toasting them so you have to be careful not to put fueltanks too close to them.

Whatdo you think about that idea?

Its not a suggestion for developement but definetely a nice thought...

Maybe someday...:wink:

I don't think it's a good idea to implement more models of the same part to make it look damaged. Instead parts could get scorch marks, scratches and other things like that as additional textures. Simple "bullet hole" effect like in FPS games.

For example, if a tank was pierced and had a hole in it you would not want to fill it up, because it might catch fire. Or an engine that was exposed to high temperatures for too long (not sure how such an engine would look like after such treatment though) would be more prone to exploding or overheating.

EDIT: What I have in mind when talking about overheated pieces of metal:

overheated.jpg

This rainbow effect thing.

Edited by Veeltch

Yea, I had something like that in mind actually :D

Basically different parts reacting differently to different damage influences like piercing anything would pretty much be an instant death sentence because you would lose Oxygen/Fuel ect.

Or scratches to a heatshield decreasing its Ablative or whatever it was :3

And also overheating parts ore engines toasting a part resulting in it getting thatlovely effect and some even catching fire.

Like a capsule on fire would pretty much instantly kill any kerbal in it because its filled with oxygen.

Of course, in Space the craft wont catch fire that easily becuase theres nothing to fuel it so engines wont be able to completely wreck your craft due to the Fire spreading.

Parts would change behaviour depending on the type of damage (scratches/piercing/ being singed or even on fire)

And for the crashed crafts maybe something like a bigger decal that looks like dirt or singed grass put on the ground so it doesn`t look like the grass on kerbin is immortal.

I also thought about ground particles like dirt being generated in an explosion on the surface ( much like the Collision FX mod )

I really like the way you think! Pls, SQUAD?? lol

Pretty much the only thing that has been a constant problem for me was the truly "boring" damage. I wont suggest something like soft-body physics here because the would kill the performance but I recently had an idea while playing:

How about damage models, which are not soft-body but are multiple parts in one. Theywouldn`t constantly be rendered as such but would change model and spawn that piece of the part at its location.

Another Idea I had was impact on the controls once anengine or a winglet gets damaged ( Visually visible ) Stuff like the capsule being damaged resulting in you not being able to use it in outer space or non oxygen enviroments.

Or engines not being as accurate once damaged.

What also bothered me was that if you crash into something ( Like the ground ) most of the craft just disappears... Quite sad :(

Spending hours on the design and once it crashes it just vanishes out of existance with a poof...

I want parts to catch on fire when an engine is toasting them so you have to be careful not to put fueltanks too close to them.

Whatdo you think about that idea?

Its not a suggestion for developement but definetely a nice thought...

Maybe someday...:wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.