V774104, the new most distant object in our solar system

_Augustus_

I wouldn't be surprised if we found out a body half the mass of Pluto out there, neither would I be excited. There are already a lot of these further-than-Neptune-and-whatever-is-there objects, and IMO the only reason why this is the first one we detect so far away is that our instruments are not sensitive enough, not that it is the only one.

Edited by Gaarst
Corrected my post

I wouldn't be surprised if we found out a body half the mass of Pluto out there, neither would I be excited. There are already a lot of these TNOs, and IMO the only reason why this is the first one we detect so far away is that our instruments are not sensitive enough, not that it is the only one.

er... TNOs? This isnt a Trans Neptunian Object.

Technically, it isnt even a Kepler Belt object.

They made a new category for Sedna and this- "Inner Oort Cloud objects." This is so far out, it didnt form here and it never passed by anything we know is massive enough to cause a capture... which makes it's existance a mystery.

Just imagine if it was a planet, say, getting a gravity assist from the Sun outward, say, after ejection from another stellar system? Or maybe Nemesis is real and V774104 was captured from it during its last close-in pass?

Stop it. Nemesis isn't real, give our scientists some credit.

Interesting story but we knew this would happen with Sedna. Let's see about its orbit first.

er... TNOs? This isnt a Trans Neptunian Object.

Technically, it isnt even a Kepler Belt object.

They made a new category for Sedna and this- "Inner Oort Cloud objects." This is so far out, it didnt form here and it never passed by anything we know is massive enough to cause a capture... which makes it's existance a mystery.

Two links were added to the Nemesis thread this morning, guess they were missed anyway.

Careful read indicates that the eccentricity of its orbit may not be known for a year.

Two links were added to the Nemesis thread this morning, guess they were missed anyway.

Careful read indicates that the eccentricity of its orbit may not be known for a year.

What is this thing's perpasis? If it's similar to Sedna, with a much larger Apoapsis, it would lend significant crediance to the idea of "Tyche".

There are many possibile explanations for Sedna-like objects. Mostly: a planet that is still out there or maybe has been expelled (not a too rare event, just think about rogue exoplanets); a gravitational perturbation by a passing star (and we know that our solar system has had very close encounters in the recent past and will continue having them in the future); a capture of exoplanetary planetesimals (obviously this theory will get more and more unlikely as we discover more of these objects, if we will).

I... Guess this makes some good way to deduce, were Sedna - like object ejected in by a passing star, or another orbiting body ? If their ecxentricity matches but Arg. of Periapse differs, maybe a faraway planet. But if Arg of PE is equal... Hmm, which star was that ?

• 2 weeks later...
On November 26, 2015 at 11:36:42 PM, insert_name said:

[quote name='Interplanet Janet']Although really, the object with the furthest aphelion is about 8 light years from the sun, or about twice as far away as Alpha Centauri A-B.
that doesn't sound right, can I see a source?

Yeah, the Sun's SOI isn't that big.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.