[Released] Strategia

nightingale

2 hours ago, smjjames said:

How's the next update going? I'm interested in doing the probe and kerballed missions and stuff without the timelimits.

I'm about 25% done icons, and the only coding left is related to notifications around currency.  I've gotten distracted with doing a Tourism Plus release (since I need to get it out to officially enable the Strategia integration).  I'll do another small beta release with the time limit changes so you're not waiting on all that.

---

New release, download here!

Strategia 0.3.0

• Mission strategies no longer have deadlines, and are cancellable.  However, the failure penalties are now applied if the mission is cancelled without completing it.
  • Fixed Science strategies to make them upgradeable (thanks norcalplanner).
  • Minor spelling fixes.
Edited by nightingale

Hey @nightingale, I've stumbled upon an exploit/bug (well, it's both a bug and an exploit because it could be exploited to reroll contracts without declining) in relation to the slot machine strategy by accident. At least I THINK this is coming from strategia. I was flipping between KSC screen and tracking station while using the CAPCOM mod to look at the contracts while going to tracking station to see locations of survey type contracts when I noticed that the numbers for a contract that I was looking at that moment kept changing as I switched scenes. Also, at one point, I noticed that the company for the 'explore mun' contract changed, though it doesn't show that in the screenshots. I think I saw that change anyway.

KSP log and output log during all that: http://sta.sh/0m929hjhd8v

Edited by smjjames

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Hey @nightingale, I've stumbled upon an exploit/bug (well, it's both a bug and an exploit because it could be exploited to reroll contracts without declining) in relation to the slot machine strategy by accident. At least I THINK this is coming from strategia. I was flipping between KSC screen and tracking station while using the CAPCOM mod to look at the contracts while going to tracking station to see locations of survey type contracts when I noticed that the numbers for a contract that I was looking at that moment kept changing as I switched scenes. Also, at one point, I noticed that the company for the 'explore mun' contract changed, though it doesn't show that in the screenshots. I think I saw that change anyway.

KSP log and output log during all that: http://sta.sh/0m929hjhd8v

That's the Contract Configurator bug that's causing some of the Field Research contracts to keep re-rolling.  It's fixed in 1.9.5, which will be released in the next couple of days.

Oh, it certainly looked like it was the slot machine strategy. Wierd that it's affecting the contracts in that way, and it's a bad thing that it's affecting the contracts like that.

I'm going to increase the cache size for the contract slot machine random values - I think that may also help.

Theres also been something odd going on that I've been noticing where it looks like I'm actually losing a small amount of rep for some reason because I get notifications that such and such strategy is no longer available due to rep after completing a contract. Editwhiletyping: Wuh, the rep actually IS going down... what's going on here???

For example, right now, rep is 727.1346, then after I completed two waypoints close to each other and the contract itself which should have added 4 + 4+ 8(which has a -4 modifier due to contract slot machine II, which is also the only active strategy atm) which should have made it 743, but it's actually at 270.

What in the wierd??......

Maybe this is actually a contract configurator problem, I don't know. Only reason I'm posting in here is because Strategia is noticing the changes when they cross a threshold.

edit: And it happened again with another contract completion. I was getting them with the historical contracts as well, so, it doesn't seem to matter what contract it is.

Edited by smjjames

43 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Theres also been something odd going on that I've been noticing where it looks like I'm actually losing a small amount of rep for some reason because I get notifications that such and such strategy is no longer available due to rep after completing a contract. Editwhiletyping: Wuh, the rep actually IS going down... what's going on here???

For example, right now, rep is 727.1346, then after I completed two waypoints close to each other and the contract itself which should have added 4 + 4+ 8(which has a -4 modifier due to contract slot machine II, which is also the only active strategy atm) which should have made it 743, but it's actually at 270.

What in the wierd??......

Maybe this is actually a contract configurator problem, I don't know. Only reason I'm posting in here is because Strategia is noticing the changes when they cross a threshold.

edit: And it happened again with another contract completion. I was getting them with the historical contracts as well, so, it doesn't seem to matter what contract it is.

That's the way KSP works with Reputation.  I don't have the exact math handy, but you get diminishing returns based on how much reputation you have.  If you have 0 rep and try to add 10, it'll add 10.  If you have 500 rep and try to add 10, it'll only add 10.  If you're at 900 rep and try to add 10, it'll add like...  0.5.  Basically, the function is such that you can only ever asymptotically approach 1000 or -1000.

I'm also assuming that the 270 was a typo, because losing 500 rep would be serious. :)

Also, minor bug with the messaging for modified rewards via contracts, namely the 'to boldly go' strategy. It'll pop up the notification for science transmitted, but any other science transmitted while the notification is still there don't get added to it (like I've seen for those distance and speed records you get early on). I'm pretty sure the bonus is still getting added.

editwhiletyping: Hm, it doesn't seem to trigger for normal flats.

edit: No bonus for this one? I'm doing the Minmus crewed program strategy.

Strategia2%20career_screenshot_2016-02-0

Edited by smjjames

Also, minor bug with the messaging for modified rewards via contracts, namely the 'to boldly go' strategy. It'll pop up the notification for science transmitted, but any other science transmitted while the notification is still there don't get added to it (like I've seen for those distance and speed records you get early on). I'm pretty sure the bonus is still getting added.

Raised [#18].

editwhiletyping: Hm, it doesn't seem to trigger for normal flats.

Minmus Flats?  I'll have to take a look, shouldn't be anything special.

edit: No bonus for this one? I'm doing the Minmus crewed program strategy.

Toss me a KSP.log with that one.  The system I use to know what body the reward is for is a total hack (I have to catch which body node is being hit, then store that for the reward (because when the reward is given, KSP won't say what it's for).  Anyway, it's fragile, so wouldn't surprise me if you've found an ugly case (although I thought I had the body transition/suborbital thing figured out.

Sure, I'll grab a KSP log before I go to bed.

Also, do you know whether Contract Slot Machine III and To Boldly Go III conflict with Scientist Focus III somehow? While it's true that I might not have the rep (though I don't have the science now anyway, now that I spent it), I looked at the configs for those strategies and didn't see anything that would conflict with scientist focus III, besides, I was able to get scientist focus II.

http://sta.sh/01xrvt36uyz4

Edited by smjjames

13 hours ago, smjjames said:

Sure, I'll grab a KSP log before I go to bed.

http://sta.sh/01xrvt36uyz4

Awesome, got that one fixed for the next release.  Turns out that the ones I looked at (like landing and fly by) were slightly different than suborbital and orbital.  It should work everywhere now (I hope).

13 hours ago, smjjames said:

Also, do you know whether Contract Slot Machine III and To Boldly Go III conflict with Scientist Focus III somehow? While it's true that I might not have the rep (though I don't have the science now anyway, now that I spent it), I looked at the configs for those strategies and didn't see anything that would conflict with scientist focus III, besides, I was able to get scientist focus II.

I've tried to make the conflicts obvious (via line items in the text).  So Scientist Focus does conflict with Pilot and Engineer Focus (ie. you can only pick one).  That should be the only conflicts there.

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

Awesome, got that one fixed for the next release.  Turns out that the ones I looked at (like landing and fly by) were slightly different than suborbital and orbital.  It should work everywhere now (I hope).

I've tried to make the conflicts obvious (via line items in the text).  So Scientist Focus does conflict with Pilot and Engineer Focus (ie. you can only pick one).  That should be the only conflicts there.

I'm aware of those two conflicts, but it's just saying 'conflicting contracts, so can't activate' (basically) without any obvious reasons why or what it's conflicting with and I even looked at the configs and there shouldn't be any conflicts.

Here is my current setup minus scientist focus II(I actually had less science, but I temporarily boosted up the science to show that the conflict is there even when I have science):

4 hours ago, smjjames said:

I'm aware of those two conflicts, but it's just saying 'conflicting contracts, so can't activate' (basically) without any obvious reasons why or what it's conflicting with and I even looked at the configs and there shouldn't be any conflicts.

Here is my current setup minus scientist focus II(I actually had less science, but I temporarily boosted up the science to show that the conflict is there even when I have science):

Stock shenanigans.  I've changed it for the next release so that it doesn't occur anymore.

Not sure on the icon for stagnated resesarch (though honestly, I'm not sure what would work in there), but everything else looks good,

My first thought would have been the church or some symbol for conservatism, but that'd be getting really political and we don't want to go there.

3 hours ago, smjjames said:

Not sure on the icon for stagnated resesarch (though honestly, I'm not sure what would work in there), but everything else looks good,

My first thought would have been the church or some symbol for conservatism, but that'd be getting really political and we don't want to go there.

Agreed, that's not a direction I want to go.  Originally my idea was going to be a titration pipette, but it's harder to recognize as an icon (and may be too obscure of a reference).  Anyway, it's supposed to be an eye dropper giving a slow trickle of "liquid science".  Would it work better if the liquid was a color more typically associated with science (green/blue)?

4 hours ago, nightingale said:

Agreed, that's not a direction I want to go.  Originally my idea was going to be a titration pipette, but it's harder to recognize as an icon (and may be too obscure of a reference).  Anyway, it's supposed to be an eye dropper giving a slow trickle of "liquid science".  Would it work better if the liquid was a color more typically associated with science (green/blue)?

suggestion: make it a stack of books that haven't been read.

Theres something very wierd going on, either something's wierd with the slot machine strategy or the capcom and contractwindow + mods are being confused. Whenever I change craft or change scenes, the numbers in both contractwindow+ and capcom keep changing. The numbers in mission control also appear to change as well....

edit: Yes, the amounts in mission control are changing as well.

I've tried it with scientist focus II only and the numbers don't change there, tried it with contract slot machine III only and it changes there.

I like the strategy, but it really shouldn't change the contract on every scene change. You know, I wonder if this bug is also breaking waypoint manager as well.

Output log: http://sta.sh/0n786y7uqyv

Edited by smjjames

7 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Theres something very wierd going on, either something's wierd with the slot machine strategy or the capcom and contractwindow + mods are being confused. Whenever I change craft or change scenes, the numbers in both contractwindow+ and capcom keep changing. The numbers in mission control also appear to change as well....

edit: Yes, the amounts in mission control are changing as well.

I've tried it with scientist focus II only and the numbers don't change there, tried it with contract slot machine III only and it changes there.

I like the strategy, but it really shouldn't change the contract on every scene change. You know, I wonder if this bug is also breaking waypoint manager as well.

Output log: http://sta.sh/0n786y7uqyv

Extremely unlikely that this is related to the Waypoint Manager issues.

I'm fairly certain I know what the problem is here, it has to do with how I'm storing the offsets calculated for contracts.  It'll be fixed for the next release.

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Just a minor silly thing. The objectives for Mun program (and probably others) still say "land a Kerbal on the Mun before the deadline" but there is no deadline.

Good catch.  Fixed for next release.

Y'know. I'm not so sure that Local Science 1 is working. Under the stock strategies you get feedback showing (+/-) whatever after the science gain. Strategia is either a) missing this information (whcih is confusing) or the strategy is flat out not working.

Also, is it intentional that alot of the strategies don't have setup costs? It seems a bit.. strange. Take LS1 for instance. Extra science around KSC. Boom, activate that just before I go to run a KSC Field Research mission. No downside, and I can cancel it when I'm done, free extra science.

Edited by severedsolo