Eve Space Program Challenge

After four hours of work, most of which was small tweaks, I managed to make [URL="http://i.imgur.com/E4mt4H9.png"]a pretty good suborbital eve rocket-[/URL] so if there's a half star I've earned that. This challenge is more frustrating than I expected it to be, even just the first tier of it. I'll pick up where I left off later, but I'm done for now.

Hi scullyl - good looking craft there and sounds like a promising start.

A coupla tips if I may:

Keep it as slim as possible. Drag is your enemy on Eve.
I see you are trying for some wing-lift-assist. That means flying for some distance in Eve's souposphere, which is very hot and draggy. Perhaps why you have needed all the (draggy) radiators. It can be better to lift straight up to where the air is clearer before turning - up around 30km or so.
Avoid struts as much as possible - they are very draggy these days, especially on Eve.
Try not to use heatshields, they are very heavy and draggy. Try to make a point with tanks and finish off with air intakes.

[quote name='HoloYolo']What is the Delta-v for the height we are launching from?
Also, how do I put in the HyperEdit coordinates.[/QUOTE]
To orbit? Is so then it depends on how draggy your craft is. 7000 isn't a bad minimum. If you have a fat craft with lots of junk on it then quite a bit more.

If you use HE's Ship Lander then you can paste the coordinates right in.

[quote name='Foxster']To orbit? Is so then it depends on how draggy your craft is. 7000 isn't a bad minimum. If you have a fat craft with lots of junk on it then quite a bit more.

If you use HE's Ship Lander then you can paste the coordinates right in.[/QUOTE]I tried that. Where do I put them in there?

Whoops, just noticed this, Jetski, no not everything has to be manned for the space station, it just means that when you submit it fully there has to be Kerbals (from eve) on it.

Plus those missions automatically count you for level 1, so adding you to the list

[quote name='HoloYolo']What is the Delta-v for the height we are launching from?
Also, how do I put in the HyperEdit coordinates.[/QUOTE]

We are launching from about 1km altitude, so near sea level.

I had to change it from exponential to standard form. 0.000000046143, 128.299978705477
Open up ship lander, set altitude to ~1000m, copy and paste those numbers into each of the coordinate boxes. Once the planet loads, reset your altitude to ~10m.

[quote name='Right']We are launching from about 1km altitude, so near sea level.

I had to change it from exponential to standard form. 0.000000046143, 128.299978705477
Open up ship lander, set altitude to ~1000m, copy and paste those numbers into each of the coordinate boxes. Once the planet loads, reset your altitude to ~10m.[/QUOTE]Thank you

[quote name='Foxster'] If you use HE's Ship Lander then you can paste the coordinates right in.[/QUOTE]
One thing I've learned from experience is that using HE to go to eve orbit, moving the orbit until you're above where you want to land, and aligning your rocket BEFORE using the ship lander makes getting your rocket to land much easier (basically aligning it so it lands straight up helps a lot.)
Edit: There are other ways of doing it, i just find aligning in orbit easier than in atmosphere. Edited by scullyl

[quote name='Bubbadevlin']Great job HoloYolo, but one of the requirements is to return... so yea... I am sure you can make it back, if you would be so kinda to just relaunch your rocket, sorry :)[/QUOTE]Do you want the DL? It can return, just that the orbit bothered me so much lol.

May or may not have a level 2 entry coming up. Depends if I can convince myself to redo the mission taking screenshots this time. In the meantime here's a screenshot.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oilg8Pe.png[/IMG]

Anyone have experience aerobraking/aerocapturing from interplanetary trajectories at Eve? It used to be extremely problematic; I'm not sure if it still is in 1.0.5 or not. Edited by Jodo42

The station continues, spent half the night getting 900 fuel in a gray tank up. Biggest payload I've gotten up there so far. Next for the Hab modules!
[imgur]KgxCB[/imgur]

Edit: Hab module up, Bill is hanging out on station because science.
[imgur]up2J0[/imgur]

OK, I think that's as far as the station is going for now: functionally complete with habitation for 4, and 1900 LF plus Ox in 2 tanks, tug with 160 mono. Post me on the board for a mini station, I'm sending up a lander next and going to SPACE!

By the way, I'm starting to get a feel for what I need as a lifter to get off Eve. Started with a 2 ton to LEO, and working my way up. Hab modules with leftover fuel was nearly 15 tons to orbit! I can post craft files if anyone is interested. Edited by Jetski

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.