Eve Space Program Challenge

[img]http://i.imgur.com/soaDSia.jpg[/img]
I managed to get to orbit and return, I forgot to take a screenshot of the rocket at the beginning but it started with three twin boars. Other than the boosters, this shows everything. It was a fun challenge! Tomorrow I'm going to go for the second star.
[imgur]npZvS[/imgur] Edited by scullyl

[quote name='Right']Nice one Nefrums, I'm using a rapier for Kerbin ascent too.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it is the obvious choice.
I'm using a two stage kerbin plane, without OX for the rapier and a terrier as the second stage. It is actually the only part of my mission that is tested beforehand. I'm assuming that the second stage of the Kerbin plane will be able to land on Mun and Minmus as well. I brought lots of xenon and the ship has way more dV than needed as aerobraking used to be hard in 1.0.4, it might be better now thou.

The Vector engine is very good on Eve, about the same isp and twr as the mammoth.

One tip when hyper editing the ship to the landing site, Time warp to 2:35 (y1 d1) before leaving the launchpad, then the ship will land the right way up.

Yikes. SO I got my largest payload yet into orbit, a mini mining craft, with the intention of mining Gilly and really getting my space program jump started. GOt a nice intercept on Gilly, then some kind of warp kraken struck and sent me into an orbit far beyond Jool. I think I can salvage a Jool intercept in a decade or so, but Im thinking repeated use of Hyper Edit to get to the Eve launch site is fracturing the very fabric of space-time.
[imgur]EjP3Y[/imgur]

This sounds like a really fun challenge. Here's my entry for level 1. I screwed up the initial pitch a bit and ended up getting a sub-optimal gravity turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dsKR7_Xkb0&

Getting the craft onto the surface was a pain:confused: Would be amazing to have a copurnicus setup that made Kerbin into Eve.

Edited by maccollo

322997am, well you could, but if you make your own challenge, please reference me :) (also part of the challenge is because it's eve, you would need a lot farther goals for lathe)

Great job maccollo!, and if you could somehow make kerbin into eve, i would be very greatfull, as i have NO modding skills

He's how I put a craft onto Eve, in case it helps anyone:

1. Put some reaction wheels and RTGs on disposable landing gear so you can orientate the craft easily for landing
2. Deploy from the VAB to the KSC launchpad.
3. Use the Hyper Edit function Ship Lander with the Eve landing coordinates and an altitude of 100,000.
4. In Eve orbit use MechJeb's Smart A.S.S. SURF+UP function and wait until the ship is upright relative to the surface (ALT > will help speed this up)
5. Use Ship Lander, just changing the Altitude to 20 and drift down.

Or you could do it like this:

1. Timewarp until launchpad and Eve and landing site are aligned. (happens once a day. eg: 2:35 d1 y1)
2. Use Ship Lander

This was a fun challenge!
Album updated:

Edited by Nefrums
fix formating after forum update

My entry for Jebedian level:

• 277.5 t of start mass from Eve;
  • Second (central) stage of Eve launcher has 3 dropping engines from total 5 for decreasing launcher mass;
  • Only "Vectors" used for Eve ascent;
  • Combined LV-N and ion powered craft (for simplifying departure maneuver);
  • Landing to Kerbin and Mun in command chair;
  • Ion lander for Mun and Minmus (second stage for Kerbin too).

Good challenge, I enjoyed all time what spent for this challenge!

My entry for Jebedian level:

• 277.5 t of start mass from Eve;
  • Second (central) stage of Eve launcher has 3 dropping engines from total 5 for decreasing launcher mass;
  • Only "Vectors" used for Eve ascent;
  • Combined LV-N and ion powered craft (for simplifying departure maneuver);
  • Landing to Kerbin and Mun in command chair;
  • Ion lander for Mun and Minmus (second stage for Kerbin too).

Good challenge, I enjoyed all time what spent for this challenge!

Can I do something like send a KAV (Kerbin Ascent Vechicle), a Interplanetary Nuclear Launch, and a Mun+Minmus Lander to the Kerbin System in different launches, even though they don't leave from Eve at the same time? Also, shouldn't you not be allowed to use Oxygen-breathing engines, because " After years of abuse, the Kerbals have finally made Kerbin completely uninhabitable from their caustic rocket explosions "

1 hour ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Lol, naw, i will allow oxygen engines, because i imagine more of a nuclear fallout thing. 

That's me! 

(Firing Nervs and using them as heat shields)

MY COMPUTER FINALLY SURVIVED A SHIP WITH >150 PARTS!!!

***Laptop***

Edited by xiej

9 minutes ago, scullyl said:

I was planning on trying for thee second star but I'm confused about how to get to gilly, I couldn't find any tutorials so I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick rundown on how to get from eve to gilly?

Well, you can get to Gilly from Eve like any other moon, however Gilly's SOI (sphere of influence) is incredibly small, meaning that often people have to almost match orbits with Gilly to get an encounter.

Dont forget to match the inclination too!

7 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Well, you can get to Gilly from Eve like any other moon, however Gilly's SOI (sphere of influence) is incredibly small, meaning that often people have to almost match orbits with Gilly to get an encounter.

Dont forget to match the inclination too!

Okay ! I guess it'll just take some practice to figure out how to match up with the inclination and eccentricity! Thanks for the help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.