vBulletin vs. IPS, from your average user's perspective.

Endersmens

Do you like the changes brought with IPS?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Please read the thread before voting, it might change your perspective!

• Yes, I love it!
    • Yeah, it's pretty good.
    • It's ok.
    • No, I liked vBulletin more.
    • No, I definitely preferred vBulletin over this....thing.

41 minutes ago, mythbusters844 said:

To everyone defending the WYSIWYG editor: what's being requested is an OPTION to use BBcode in the editor

Yes, I'm aware. I'm not trying to "defend the editor." Just trying to point out that things are still possible. A lot of the doom and gloom of the new forum is coming in the form of "I can't do X." When, in fact, a lot of those things are still possible. That's wholly different than "please give the option," which I also agree with.

Edited by Claw

56 minutes ago, Endersmens said:

Please explain to me how it is not What you see is what you get? 

It's not really a matter of what comes out not being what you typed, but rather what you intend to type not being what you want it to be. For example, just pressing enter makes a double space:

I didn't intend that at all. What's more is that I have no ability to figure it out myself. With BBCode, you can actually see the source code and "debug" it. Then again, arguing in favor or against any editor is meaningless if you're ideally going to be able to choose between two anyway.

Edited by mythbusters844

45 minutes ago, mythbusters844 said:

For example, just pressing enter makes a double space:

Well, you never use the enter key to move your text to the next line when you run out of room, it does that for you. The enter key is used most often to start a new paragraph, which for me, is always two spaces. The only time I use the enter key for one space is for lists, but there is a handy list function built in, and enter only does one space when you use it. :) 

41 minutes ago, Endersmens said:

Well, you never use the enter key to move your text to the next line when you run out of room, it does that for you.

Erm, I'll enter my own linebreaks, just like I do and always have everywhere else. Thanks but no thanks helpy-helper editor thing.
Line-wrap / word-wrap in any editor drives me nuts.

But once again, solved with a simple "WYSI(SIYLAHTOP)WYG off" switch.

Edited by steve_v
Use established sarcastic acronym ;)

13 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Erm, I'll enter my own linebreaks, just like I do and always have everywhere else. Thanks but no thanks helpy-helper editor thing.
Line-wrap / word-wrap in any editor drives me nuts.

But once again, solved with a simple "WYSI(SIYLAHTOP)WYG off" switch.

Line breaks that are one line down drive me nuts. :sticktongue: but really it's a bit harder to read like that. A space between the line break makes it easier to read to me. 

On 12/6/2015, 5:40:21, Endersmens said:

That was a pre-migration post @Columbia. You can't make that argument based on the migration issues. If that post was reposted with all the BBcode in the correct format it would work fine. (Besides tables I

22 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

R    K  T
E
K
T

I am confus.

Every time I qupte a post in this thread, the older ones i quoted show up.

Edited by Columbia

1 hour ago, Endersmens said:

You probably accidentally added it to multi-quote. There's' a way to get rid of them, a little x by them I think.

Actually, I've experienced that too. It's rather annoying, especially when you type out a response, say, and don't end up posting it. Then you come back, try to respond to a different post, and it borks. I don't have multi-quote on.

Edited by Hobbes Novakoff

Changing fonts and adding colors or bold, italics can be quite frustrating here, too.
You see, this is bold on purpose, now I'll try to turn it off  done?
no
I turned it off, them pressed space, it activated again, let's try again,
  now it worked. You have to press space first and THEN press the B button  see? see?
I'm learning!!!!!!
what about fonts Comic sans arial. Yup no problem
GGGreen  if you type something before selecting the color, even trying to delete and typing again won't work. You have to type another one and then delete that. I guess that's a feature (automatic right when you click the button to select the color), and it might be useful if you are trying to type a very colored text and wanna fix something, or say it another way, so you change click where you wanna do the change, and type it BAM it automagically selects the color for you!
Now to change the color. Same thing with bold. space 
Black! HOORAY

Edited by EuSouONumero345

8 hours ago, Endersmens said:

And all three work at the same time, as usual. Keyboard commands are a lot easier to use than the buttons on the editor. :) 

A lesser known fact is that keyboard commands worked in BBCode mode in vBulliten. CTRL+I would, for example, place down I tags and automatically place the cursor between them. I developed the habit of CTRL+I/B/U and then END+SPACE when I wanted to terminate the formatting. Was really convenient.

Also the double-enter thing can be mitigated with SHIFT+ENTER, much like how you give some chat systems to give you a new line rather than sending your message.
So manually controlling your word wrap is still possible.

On another note, I made a right proper thread requesting the option to toggle WYSIWYG editing here. Also let me know if this post parses correctly. Wrote the whole thing with code as I usually do and want to see if it works right.

EDIT: Well damn, the trusty noparse tags dont actually work on this system.

Edited by Captain Sierra

For me, IPS4's alright. My only gripes are the bland default theme and the new 'Like' system instead of the old 'Reputation' system. Regarding search - much like vBulletin, IPS4 searches every post for the words searched, which can cause irrelevant results; however, like vBulletin, this issue can be rectified by setting the search system to search in post titles only.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.