Beyond end, interstellar travel and other things

I read that the squad team plans to add new planetary systems beyond Kerbal system, but does anyone know if such systems will be near or far?

I would support that would be far, far away, such as the solar system to Alpha Centauri "but then we never would arrive to others systems," you will say.
I have the solution and it could be quite desirable.

In the interstellar travel have to use technology that in reality do not exist today (nuclear propulsion, antimatter, proton decay catalyzed by monopoles, black holes, negative energy ¿?, etc), and would have add a light speed limit in the game, also add parts to protect the starship of the impact of relativistic particles.
Obviously these parts would be large, very large, the hangar not have enough space, and then a new facility should be add "build interstellar starships in space, in orbit".

I will expand and adding things gradually in this topic, as I would like to know your opinions to see if this is on track. :wink:

are there any more details on what Squad is thinking about doing?

I think another system - the equivalent fo several light years away - would make visiting it tevhnically possible but kinda pointless (the time scale doesn't fit with teh other gameplay)...the technologies - as you pointed out - could in theory get integrated into the game but it wouldn't fit with the theme I think. But with current systems it should be possbile to create another system in orbit around Kerbol, possibly a brown or red dwarf (much lower mass making it plausible that it orbits Kerbol) with a small number of Planets orbiting it - if that Star would be 2-7 Eeloo distances away it could be reached with traditional means (chemical propulsion combined with gravity assists) within a reasonable amount of time (under 10 years I guess).

No, I don't think squad will add special stuff like that. If they do add another star system it won't be light years away because squad will not add antimatter and co.

It's not ksps nature...

You will be able to get their with even chemical monsters, as NAFTL travel will unbalance the game. 

I don't know about interstellar travel because KSP's tech has always been grounded and a bit retro, but a larger system to explore and a basic premise for why the Kerbals feel the need to pour money into space travel would be nice.  Maybe a contract like there is a large asteroid coming to destroy Kerbalkind and you need to redirect it in the next year, or there are rumors of aliens on Laythe that you need to investigate.  Something more long term that just collect science data from _______.

You can always time warp, so there could be an end game, very expensive both in science and funds, technology allowing a huge solar sail ship to be built in LKO - for which you need a lot of missions to assembly, send resources, divert asteroids to mine for resources, etc.

And once you finally send it, it's at least decades before it makes it to that star, and you still need to find the way to brake there and maneuver within whatever planets it has.

But I think that's beyond the scope of the game and better left to mods

It may be some very old plan. Squad released future ideas several years ago. They stopped because too many readers took them as promises in spite of all disclaimers that they are just speculation what would be nice to do.

I do not believe that it will be made. There should be massive overhaul in planetary modeling before it would be sane to add large number of celestial bodies. It would also change the basic idea of the game. KSP is a spaceflight simulator under Newtonian gravity. Interstellar traveling would need such dv that gravity in solar system would be negligible. Or there should be some stupid and very artificial restrictions.

If they made procedurally generated planets with high details there would be more to explore in Kerbol's system than anybody could do in human lifetime. In my opinion other systems would work best so that you can generate a new system when you begin a new save. There is no need for traveling between systems, because it would violate the most interesting thing in KSP, realistic traveling between bodies in solar system.