Possible to split joints & thermal into separate threads?

Just a thought, since the added thermal physics has increased the overhead on the cpu.

It is known the physics tree for joints cannot be split into separate threads in Unity 5, but thermal physics does not effect joint strength in ksp, except when a part blows up. Therefore in theory it should be able to run thermal physics on a separate thread, increasing the use of multiple cores, post version 1.1.

Discussion please.

Edited by Azimech

Joints, collisions and similar physics items are handled by the PhysX engine and Unity5 claims to be able to run every individual physics gameobject in its own "task", whatever that is, so I assume it can bunch tasks and distribute them across cores.

The thermal code isn't a Unity physics object so doesn't benefit from PhysX at all, but with physics more evenly distributed there should be more cpu time free on whatever core Unity is currently using for the orbital and thermal code (i.e Squads stuff)

It'd be interesting to know if Unity is capable of deferring the developers code to other cores, like it can do with the sound, input and similar, or if it all has to run in a main thread, I don't think this question has ever come up before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.