New image one the Dev Blog

armandleggames

I guess we really can't be SURE it's an inflatable heat shield, but I'm going with the majority here xD

I'm pleased about this! TBH I think it'd be cool if instead the heatshields were made procedural a la the fairings (pick out a base and then click to set the diameter, and perhaps drag it up to wrap the edges around the sides of the ship a bit). But this works too. It's sure to be very good for my Eve lander and stuff.

Thanks for the heads-up, @armandleggames.  I keep forgetting about Devnote Tuesday, mostly because my work computer usually blocks the KSP forum.

I hope that it has a built-in decoupler (l*cough* like the escape tower should have had).  This looks like it will sterilize 1 end of the ship for both docking and propulsion as long as it's in place.

12 hours ago, Temstar said:

Woah that's massive. Tha's like a sixfold increase in diameter after inflating.

It would be very useful for interplanetary motherships for aerocapture.

Roverdude said it has a 2.5m connector and inflates to 10m, so a 4 fold increase in diameter.

I don't usually use heat shields due to lack of experience and confidence with aerocapture so I just bring along the fuel for capture, but this part may well tempt me to try an aerocapture...

12 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

I guess we really can't be SURE it's an inflatable heat shield, but I'm going with the majority here xD

I'm pleased about this! TBH I think it'd be cool if instead the heatshields were made procedural a la the fairings (pick out a base and then click to set the diameter, and perhaps drag it up to wrap the edges around the sides of the ship a bit). But this works too. It's sure to be very good for my Eve lander and stuff.

Yeah, procedural heatshields would be cool. It could make it possible to give spaceplanes heatshields, like the Space Shuttle.

1 hour ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

So kinda an airbrake of sorts? Would you put it on top of your capsule to slow you down?

It's a heat shield, you place it on the bottom. Its name simply states that the supersonic region is where you do the most aerobraking (and hence experience the most heat).

20 hours ago, WildLynx said:

It's not a heat shield per se, but Low Density Supersonic Decelerator or Hypersonic Inflatable Aerodynamic Decelerator.

It should be the Hypersonic Inflatable Decelerator Extension (HIDE). Because acronyms are cool. And stuff "hides" behind it. "Extension" doesn't sound very good, though, but I didn't think "enclosure" was very accurate.

The design challenge here will be not flipping out from all the drag, no?

Edited by pincushionman

Well if they do inflatable things now...

Maybe they should look into the Bigelow inflatable habitat. And if there's a mod out there that replicates that, make it part of stock. Of course, they'd have to trust the mod creator and hope he'd have no problem with his mod parts being incorperated in stock, but one can hope, right?

...yes yes yes... trust me, I know. :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.