resources overlay doesn't work

Hello Kerbal-nauts 

I am a +1000 hour veteran of ksp, and now i cant get the resources overlay to work. 

the probe i use is on an polar orbit at 100km over minmus it has comes ,an m700 survey Scanner and power, the lot! 

the scanner scans, goes to the "100%", "Done" but then nothing......  

in additiontin the narrow band scanners GUI dosnet work.

only thing working is the Surface scanning module....  

i spent some time on youtube to se what wold scott manley do, and now conclude its something wrong with the game. 

i have removed the game and reinstall it and tryed with no modes with the same result, added Ckan and some modes same result. 

any advice ?? 

The overlay only appears, and the NBS only works, if you've done a survey with the M700 first.  If you've got it in a polar orbit (and it needs to be nearly 90^), then that leaves 3 possibilities.

1.  You didn't hit the "perform survey" button.  This is only really a possibility if you've got a mod like SCANsat that adds other buttons to the M700's menu, such as "start resource scan".  If you hit that, then you scan for resources that show up on the SCANsat map but never get the overlay and the NBS will never work.  So be sure you hit the "perform survey" button.

2.  You don't have enough battery to transmit the survey.  Transmitting the survey data requires about 2000 EC worth of battery, and all that has to be available at the get-go.  So if your probe doesn't have that much battery, the survey won't work.

3.  You don't have an antenna on the probe :)

It's also worth noting that the resources overlay UI is a bit cranky-- can be difficult to discover some of the features.  By default it ought to toggle on when you complete a scan, but in case something has gone out of whack,

1. go to map view
  2. double click on the planet, so you're focused on it rather than on the ship
  3. click on the bottom-most of the three buttons, the one with a "cutaway sphere" icon on it
  4. you should see a dialog with some resource options (just "Ore" in stock, can be others too if you have mods)
  5. try toggling "Ore" on and off by clicking on it.  This is one really awful piece of the UI, the button design for the resource isn't very intuitive, it's hard to tell (for me, at least) just by looking at it whether it's "on" or "off".

Just mentioning it in case you've actually done the scan successfully and the issue is just toggling the UI.

Hello Snark and Geschosskopf 

Thanks for your replies, but it's still no working.

i've been over at a friends house and try it on his system and it worked fine.....   

i've modet a bit to see if it works but no its just the overlay that and the  narrow band scanners that's not working......

http://s8.postimg.org/4dxt5c27p/Res.png

http://s9.postimg.org/p4htmnxu7/res2.png

hope you can help 

16 hours ago, Creo said:

Hello Snark and Geschosskopf 

Thanks for your replies, but it's still no working.

i've been over at a friends house and try it on his system and it worked fine.....   

i've modet a bit to see if it works but no its just the overlay that and the  narrow band scanners that's not working......

http://s8.postimg.org/4dxt5c27p/Res.png

http://s9.postimg.org/p4htmnxu7/res2.png

hope you can help 

The NBS isn't going to work, and the overlay isn't going to appear, until you use the M700 to perform a survey.  Both of those things only work after you've done a survey.  And in the 1st pic, the info box says you have not yet done a survey.

So, either you haven't pushed the button on the M700 to make it do the survey, or you did but something is keeping the survey from registering as having been done.  Assuming you pushed the "perform survey" button on the M700's right-click menu, then odds are the problem is due to some failure in communications between the M700 probe and Kerbin.  The data has to reach Kerbin before the survey counts as complete.

There are several ways communications can fail even in stock.  The M700 probe must have an antenna, and it must have sufficient battery for that antenna to transmit all the data.  With the 88-88 antenna, this requires about 2000 EC in the battery.  It takes more battery with the other antennae because they transmit slower, so run for a longer time.

In your 1st pic, I see many yellow lines connecting your ships and leading off the screen to the right.  Are those RemoteTech communications links?  If so, then you've added another way for communications to fail.  RT makes fundamental changes to how stock antennae work and adds a bunch of new antennae of its own.  Any combination of one or both of these factors can prevent the survey data from reaching Kerbin even if you've got a communications link from the M700 to Kerbin.  You still need to have enough bandwidth from the antenna and enough battery to power it.

So, there are some things you can try to help isolate the problem....

1.  Start a new test sandbox game totally stock, no RT.  Build a test probe with the M700, the 88-88 antenna, and 3000 units of battery.  HyperEdit it into a polar orbit at Kerbin and hit the "perform survey" button.  This should work.  If it does, then you know there's nothing wrong with your computer or your basic game installation, and you confirm that you know how to do the survey.  This means the problem lies either in the design of  your real ship (if it's got different antennae and battery than this test rig) or with RemoteTech

2.  Start another test sandbox game, install RT in it, and HyperEdit the test probe from #1 above into polar orbit at Kerbin.  Warp until it comes into communications range with KSC and "perform survey".  If this works, then you know that RT itself isn't blocking the survey so the problem must lie with the design of your real ship in your real game.  That will almost certainly be due to insufficient antenna bandwidth and/or insufficient battery for that antennae.  OTOH, if this doesn't work, then the problem lies with RT itself and you should ask for help in the RT thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.