What's your environmental policy

322997am

So what do you do environmentally? Do you have a policy that says no trash or smashing NERVs and rtgs. For me it's probably no trash and do not activate NERVs in atmosphere. Do you have any disposal methods of trash/NERVs/rtgs? I have a nuclear waste pile on minmus and a trash pile near the r&d building.

My environmental policy only applies to debris : I try to make sure spent stages fall back. Either by staging while PE is still in the atmosphere or by adding a generous amount of separatron

It's mostly to protect future launch, but we say it is to be environmentally friendly. You can get by with anything by saying it's good for the environment, even raining down melting debris back to the ground at ludicrous speed. Environment is fun!

I follow the Clean Space Policy - everything that goes up have to have a plan for deorbit, particularly upper stages. Ejection stages generally get crashed into where the payload is suppose to go S-IVB style.

No deorbiting RTGs or NTRs onto Kerbin, Laythe or Duna, no crashing fired NTRs into Mun or Minmum either. I'm fine with firing NTRs in atmosphere though since these are solid core design and their exhaust is not radioactive.

Edited by Temstar

5 minutes ago, Temstar said:

I follow the Clean Space Policy - everything that goes up have to have a plan for deorbit, particularly upper stages. Ejection stages generally get crashed into where the payload is suppose to go S-IVB style.

No deorbiting RTGs or NTRs onto Kerbin, Laythe or Duna, no crashing fired NTRs into Mun or Minmum either.

Where do NERVs and rtgs go in your save then?

Eve is the most easiest out of the available ones.

But it's still kinda hard

20 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

I play polluted, It's a game.

So where does your trash go? In the ocean? 

I am inspired by this thread to make a plane+rover that can collect trash and transport it to the island airport.

Edited by 322997am

11 minutes ago, 322997am said:

Where do NERVs and rtgs go in your save then?

I never launch anything with NTR or RTG unless:

• it's intended to be recoverable, eg RTG as power source for spaceplanes
  • it's not going to any of those "no deorbiting RTG/NTR" places: eg a nuclear powered low Kerbolar orbit probe or probe escaping Kerbol system
  • it's on a vehicle that's intended to be infinitely reusable, eg nuclear powered interplanetary motherships

I use to have a modular nuclear propulsion stage for moving large things like space stations around Kerbin SOI, complete with its own dedicated recovery craft when I decided that the propulsion stage has "reached End of LIfe"

screenshot361.jpg

screenshot427.jpg

screenshot504.jpg

Edited by Temstar

1 minute ago, Temstar said:

I never launch anything with NTR or RTG unless:

• it's intended to be recoverable, eg RTG as power source for spaceplanes
  • it's not going to any of those "no deorbiting RTG/NTR" places: eg a nuclear powered low Kerbolar orbit probe or probe escaping Kerbol system
  • it's on a vehicle that's intended to be infinitely reusable, eg nuclear powered interplanetary motherships

I use to have a modular nuclear propulsion stage for moving large things like space stations around Kerbin SOI, complete with its own dedicated recovery stage when I decided that the propulsion stage has "reached End of LIfe"

screenshot361.jpg

screenshot427.jpg

screenshot504.jpg

O got it.

28 minutes ago, Temstar said:

I use to have a modular nuclear propulsion stage for moving large things like space stations around Kerbin SOI, complete with its own dedicated recovery craft when I decided that the propulsion stage has "reached End of LIfe"

That... is an idea I never considered.  Thank you, that would be brilliant.  

On one save, I follow a whole host of rules, including conservation of environment. For me, that means I don't fire nuclear rockets in any atmosphere, if I launch something, I make sure it's recovered or destroyed on impact with a non-atmospheric body, and I only use RTGs when a solar panel or fuel cell won't work. That last one is mainly for the Kerbal's safety, not the environment though.

Space is full of hazards.  Dodging that spent booster stage is just one of them.  I've got pieces of spaceplanes littered around KSC to the point where attempting to land is hazardous due to the minefield of parts - not because you'll hit them, but because of the lag from entering physics range- and I think I blew up the tracking station with a few spent stages the last time I launched a rocket.  Which was a while ago, because I may have taken out the VAB with that asteroid I tried to deorbit.

Also managed to wreck my space station with a spent orange tank with a Mainsail attached.  That'd been floating around for quite some time, so I'm quite glad it sailed through my solar panels.  Gave me something to do at least.

I suppose that's why I leave debris around.  It sets up rescue missions, repair missions, and inevitable "Maybe we should consider moving some of this junk out of our home orbit" missions.  Sure, I play on Sandbox mode, but that makes things more fun for me when KSP throws me a curveball like having my solar panels smashed by a random spent stage, or finding out that one of my discarded interplanetary stages is going to hit a planet.

Sure, sometimes I deorbit stuff in order to reduce lag.  Easiest method I've found is to chuck it into the atmosphere and watch the fireworks.

Most of my upper stages to LKO are de-orbited to reduce orbital debris clutter. Here's the kicker though...I don't aim for a specific location. Not like it matters, most upper stages IRL just break up before hitting the ground, so I just assume the same. If it's on a KTO, I burn radial out so it will burn up as well. To KEO, though, de-orbiting is harder, so I just put it into a graveyard orbit anywhere from 2900km to 3000km. Interplanetary, I just don't bother. To sum up, it must be burnt up, in a graveyard, or out of Kerbins SOI.

As for NERVs, No de-orbit because of the nuclear material, what a disaster that would be. Ususally, though, they are designed to be used several times. If the ship is decommissioned, it is usually sent into interplanetary space.

As for RTGs, no worries. No de-orbit again, but most of the time they are used as a power source for outer planet probes, i.e, a Jool or Eeloo probe.

In my current career save, I plan to keep all the crap I have in orbit until I unlock the Klaw, then I'm going to bring it back to either recover for funds (which is probably not at all lucrative) or put in a giant pile behind the VAB as a monument. 

I only use the finest biofuel and bio oxidiser in my rockets. And when exploring planets, electric technology, or something which releases minimum waste is preferred. 

Recently we've started a carbon offset plantation on the mun.

hAA6h7Wh.jpg

sempFssh.jpg

The Mun is ideal, because land on Kerbin is expensive. Soild logic.

Seriously though, I  try to make sure stages always burn up in Kerbin's atmo, but tend to leave a few bits lying around at landing sites. Also, I practice safe nuclear technology. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.