Interesting research about stars and Kerbol.

GenJeFT

As for Kerbin residing outside Kerbol\'s 'habitable zone', there may be an explanation in a strong greenhouse-effect contribution from the atmosphere, see this discussion:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=5623.msg92110#msg92110

Without the atmosphere (so this applies to the Mun and Minmus) I find surface temperatures at 0.09 A.U. from Kerbol would be in the chilly range of 100-150 K (depending on albedo).

Kerbin still lies within the tidal locking radius though, so its fast spin could be explained by either its recent Creation, or its perfect spherical shape. (I think Kerbals might find consider this as evidence for Intelligent Design...and they would be right!).

Relatively new theory about Venus, says, that Venus spin goes faster, not stopping. Thats because of tornado like atmosphere movement around its surface gives it a torque, and that atmosphere spin is caused by solar wind. Its actually quite interesting and exciting.

I blame Magrathea.

There\'s no such place! It is just a myth, a legend!

As for Kerbin residing outside Kerbol\'s 'habitable zone', there may be an explanation in a strong greenhouse-effect contribution from the atmosphere, see this discussion:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=5623.msg92110#msg92110

Without the atmosphere (so this applies to the Mun and Minmus) I find surface temperatures at 0.09 A.U. from Kerbol would be in the chilly range of 100-150 K (depending on albedo).

Kerbin still lies within the tidal locking radius though, so its fast spin could be explained by either its recent Creation, or its perfect spherical shape. (I think Kerbals might find consider this as evidence for Intelligent Design...and they would be right!).

That supports my theory that kerbals are plant-based. What better form of life to thrive and evolve to sapience in such a world?

Relatively new theory about Venus, says, that Venus spin goes faster, not stopping. Thats because of tornado like atmosphere movement around its surface gives it a torque, and that atmosphere spin is caused by solar wind. Its actually quite interesting and exciting.

Don\'t forget the part where Venus spins retrograde from Earth. I kinda hope that detail gets thrown in with one of the planets in KSP.

Nope.

Jupiter has 66 moons, only 8 are locked to it.

Saturn has 61 with secure orbits (over 200 observed but orbits are not stable). Of those 15 of them are locked, and another 5 are suspected to be.

Uranus has 27 moons (in addition to a funny headline linked below, only 5 of them are locked, with 14 suspected moons locked.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/10/we-now-know-why.php

Also, only two of Neptunes 13 moons are locked. Another 5 suspected.

This stuff is really quite interesting. Some of you point out that it is only a video game (which it is) but every time you read this thread you learn something, something you may not have known if KSP did not exist. ;D

SCIENCE!

Nope.

Jupiter has 66 moons, only 8 are locked to it.

Saturn has 61 with secure orbits (over 200 observed but orbits are not stable). Of those 15 of them are locked, and another 5 are suspected to be.

Uranus has 27 moons (in addition to a funny headline linked below, only 5 of them are locked, with 14 suspected moons locked.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/10/we-now-know-why.php

Also, only two of Neptunes 13 moons are locked. Another 5 suspected.

This stuff is really quite interesting. Some of you point out that it is only a video game (which it is) but every time you read this thread you learn something, something you may not have known if KSP did not exist. ;D

'Uranus.'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.