Help with Landing Gear

Okay.... I'm having a weird glitch with my landing gear. The gear deploys and retracts fine when not in contact with anything. But when it hits a surface when extended, it gets stuck. The gear does not respond to the G key, and "raise/lower" no longer is an option in the action menu... Time warp seems to reset it, but the moment the legs hit a surface, it gets stuck again.

Here's a picture of my unity setup: http://i.imgur.com/nW08pLr.png

This is my code for the landing gear module in the cfg:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLandingLeg
		animationName = Gear
		wheelColliderName = wheel
		orientFoottoGround = false
		landingFootName = Rear_Gear_-_Falcon_Rear_Foot-1
		alignFootUp = false
		impactTolerance = 150
	}

Any help would be appreciated

Well to start off, Your wheel object isn't parented to the foot itself. Which would cause the gear to be rigid, but that doesn't seem to be your only issue.

otherwise I have a few questions/suggestions:

1. Are all of your animations/objects referenced correctly?
  2. Are you animating objects that are being used by ModuleLandingLeg? (Instead animate a blank gameobject, as an animated object is essentially 'frozen' in the eyes of the game.
  3. The wheel object should be parented to the animated empty gameobject, along with the landing foot itself.
  4. I believe the landing foot needs a collider.

On December 30, 2015 at 10:06 PM, sciencepanda said:

Okay.... I'm having a weird glitch with my landing gear. The gear deploys and retracts fine when not in contact with anything. But when it hits a surface when extended, it gets stuck. The gear does not respond to the G key, and "raise/lower" no longer is an option in the action menu... Time warp seems to reset it, but the moment the legs hit a surface, it gets stuck again.

Here's a picture of my unity setup: http://i.imgur.com/nW08pLr.png

This is my code for the landing gear module in the cfg:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLandingLeg
		animationName = Gear
		wheelColliderName = wheel
		orientFoottoGround = false
		landingFootName = Rear_Gear_-_Falcon_Rear_Foot-1
		alignFootUp = false
		impactTolerance = 150
	}

Any help would be appreciated

I personally am waiting for 1.1 and new partTools. The landing gear are getting reworked for 1.1. Unless you want to do it twice just saying

On 1/4/2016 at 0:08 PM, Redneck said:

I personally am waiting for 1.1 and new partTools. The landing gear are getting reworked for 1.1. Unless you want to do it twice just saying

You may have to do it twice, yes, but it's leagues easier the second time around. The principles and techniques used in the landing gear aren't likely to change.

6 hours ago, Ven said:

You may have to do it twice, yes, but it's leagues easier the second time around. The principles and techniques used in the landing gear aren't likely to change.

The hierarchy and colliders likely will though

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Yeah, I've stopped making landing legs (and haven't tried wheels at all) altogether until we get the Unity 5 update and the new part tools. I'm really curious to see how much these things change, and am avoiding duplicating work.

ive been trying to get a answer out of kasper in the dev tuesday. he said he would check with mu on the new partTools but so far nothing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.