Best/Amazing Kerbin Locations for BASE jumping (think wingsuits) (needed for a Contract Pack I'm developing)

inigma

I am developing a Contract Pack, and thought I'd bring up a general discussion on the best locations on Kerbin to go BASE jumping with a wingsuit, or EVA parachutes, or any kind of gliding.

Here's a sample of what I mean:

See my contract pack below in my sig for a link to the development thread if interested in the pack. I hope to roll out Skydiving and Wingsuits in GAP 2.0 in January.  I also need non-easter egg locations for places on Kerbal that would make for good tourist flyovers (I've already marked the Islands east of KSC, and the K2 Mountain Canyons west of KSC).

Edited by inigma

1 hour ago, inigma said:

Already noted! I'm looking for a list of locations to randomly pull from after K2.

I understand that, but there aren't a hell of a lot of them.  That's the steepest area.

7 minutes ago, inigma said:

know of any offworld locations for such? Eve? Laythe?

I know that Eve has a really tall mountain.  I can't remember where, though.  Also, you'll get steeper mountains if you set your terrain quality to high.

This is on the coast around the southern tip of the KSC continent. Not the best view but those are some decent cliffs dropping down into the sea. https://flic.kr/p/qZ2Swo

This cliff is in the same range as "Keverest", Kerbin's highest mountain https://flic.kr/p/r9oJV8

I believe the range in the background here is the one north of the desert's east end. Not a close view but looks OK. https://flic.kr/p/romK31

The range west of KSC in general is full of steep faces, it's not just K2 proper.

The hill by the island airfield might cut it for a short jump that's easy to get to.

I bet the big crater rim has some good sites. Never looked closely though.

Though it would be a short jump, the edges of the ice caps are a thought.

For the "B" of BASE the VAB is the obvious one, then there's the island airfield tower, and the VAB at the other space centre.

The radar dish at the other space centre might fill the "A" in BASE. It has a little trick for the unwary jumper too :D

The continent east of KSC has a huge inland sea.  The west coast of this inland sea (WNW of KSC) has a geologic faultline (aka terrain polygon edge-matching problem)  running N-S that creates spectacular cliffs that go from way high above the water to way deep below it.

West of the KSC Continent, there is a Meadow surrounded by mountains. coordinates are-  21° 20' 8" N,  116° 7' 32" W 

Great slopes, and very beautiful scenery.tsSSW8I.jpg

The Meadow at the base of the mountain.

z7NyVaA.jpg

Flying over one of the tallest mountains in my Apache style attack helicopter.

On 12/30/2015 at 8:46 AM, glen.mack said:

This area would be great, I think.

Confirmed, there's some really good lines down the sides of that one:

This is also a good spot, with some nice steep bits, and also some bits to tax the gliding ability:

9Yaje11.png

Might have a look for some other spots later on.

SM

This is the best spot I could find on Laythe so far, I suspect with a more efficient profile/glider you'd be able to make it to the sea.  You do need to start with a decent amount of horizontal speed (or vertical from height) to make it worthwhile though.  Maybe there's a better spot.

SM

I don't know if your still looking, but I'm still enjoying finding places!  Here's another really good one.  There's lines down both sides of the mountain with crags, near vertical faces, and long swooping plains.  I'm rather enjoying this aspect of the game and my wing-suit design seems to work really well.  I think if I can stage the engine and fuel tank I'd get an even better glide profile so I might try that.  It's great fun learning tricks like barrel roll, and back flip off the vertical faces into steep dives, even flying up hill for a while when you collect enough speed is possible.

Let me know if you want me to stop. Might have a look at Eve later today if you are still looking?

SM

31 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I don't know if your still looking, but I'm still enjoying finding places!  Here's another really good one.  There's lines down both sides of the mountain with crags, near vertical faces, and long swooping plains.  I'm rather enjoying this aspect of the game and my wing-suit design seems to work really well.  I think if I can stage the engine and fuel tank I'd get an even better glide profile so I might try that.  It's great fun learning tricks like barrel roll, and back flip off the vertical faces into steep dives, even flying up hill for a while when you collect enough speed is possible.

Let me know if you want me to stop. Might have a look at Eve later today if you are still looking?

SM

keep going!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.