1.0.5 Kerbal-Powered Flight

Woot made it! Going to bed now...

Bill pedals around Kerbin

Edit: It's been a lot of fun. I first went westwards, because I wanted to visit the desert temple. Since I planned to make a low pass, I wanted to get it done as soon as possible so I wouldn't lose too much time if the maneuver failed and I had to start over again. After that, Bill got back up to the equator and from there it was pretty straightforward. The optimal hight turned out to be around 25000m. The air was thin enough to get 285m/s but the wing still produced enough lift to keep the angle of attack at a decent rate. I went all around back to KSC, but instead of landing, I made another low pass turning 180 degrees and landed on the abandoned airfield.

Top speed: 305.9 m/s

Top altitude: 27182m

Distance: 6693km

This last figure puzzles me a bit, read the mission report for possible explanations.

Edited by Chemp
awake again

On 1/28/2016 at 6:59 PM, Chemp said:

Woot made it! Going to bed now...

Bill pedals around Kerbin

Edit: It's been a lot of fun. I first went westwards, because I wanted to visit the desert temple. Since I planned to make a low pass, I wanted to get it done as soon as possible so I wouldn't lose too much time if the maneuver failed and I had to start over again. After that, Bill got back up to the equator and from there it was pretty straightforward. The optimal hight turned out to be around 25000m. The air was thin enough to get 285m/s but the wing still produced enough lift to keep the angle of attack at a decent rate. I went all around back to KSC, but instead of landing, I made another low pass turning 180 degrees and landed on the abandoned airfield.

Top speed: 305.9 m/s

Top altitude: 27182m

Distance: 6693km

This last figure puzzles me a bit, read the mission report for possible explanations.

WTG!!!!  That is truly an achievement that will be long-remembered..  Sorry to be lagged in giving it recognition but I was out of town last week.

The F3 pic says you got 310m/s and 27,200m so I'll give you that.  As for the distance being about twice Kerbin's circumference, I have no idea.  I was only thinking of horizontal distance covered in the rules so let's see what we can figure out here.....

• Kerbin equatorial circumference:  3770km
  • Backtracking from KSC to Airbase Island:  30km
  • Total:  3800km for just that

This leaves the detour to the Pyramids.let's see.  I hate spherical geometry and this seems close enough to the beaten track to approximate with straight lines.  So, the Pyramids are at 6.5^ S (so 68km south of the equator) and are 67.1^ (or 703km) west of KSC..  It looks like you went straight there from KSC using the previously placed flag as a target, so Pythagorus says that was 706km, or 3km further than going that far west on the equator.  I'm unsure how you got back to the equator but it looks like angled up to it about the same as you angled down to the Pyramids, so all told an extra 6km for the detour.  That would make a grand total of 3806km for the trip.

Does that sound OK to you or is more precision required?  Or did you just go directly back north to the equator, which would add 68km?

In any case, this is quite remarkable and I salute the fortitude of your carpal tunnels :)

20 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Does that sound OK to you or is more precision required?  Or did you just go directly back north to the equator, which would add 68km?

In any case, this is quite remarkable and I salute the fortitude of your carpal tunnels :)

That sounds about right. I didn't go directly north but at an angle to save time. And in any case, it wasn't really about how far, high or fast I could go (although I admit I tried hard to get something decent). Truth is that the ladder glitch feature is one of those things that make KSP what it is, where the limit is your imagination.

About my carpal tunnels: At least for the W-key, I had a little helper: I still had to switch between Bill and the craft every few minutes to adjust the AoA, but my little gnome did a great job, so my doctor won't be seeing me anytime soon. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.