[STOCK+BDArmory] Kerbal Dynamics Dogfighter Challenge

There's a mess of AI missile challenges about, so I think it's time for something a little different. This'll also help your part counts!

This is a build-it-and-let-rip challenge.

The Setup

Your aircraft starts on the runway. Mine starts off the runway facing North on the grass.

The Rules

Stock parts only.

BDArmory fixed 20mm guns (same as what's on the challenge plane) only, maximum of TWO guns.

No missiles, rotating turrets, lasers or rocket pods.

Countermeasures not needed. ECM not allowed.

Two planes enter, one plane leaves.

GO!

(Challenger's note: I'll take volunteers to run video, my laptop is not up to it being a farty little Core2 Duo. As such, this thread stands to be updated with my .craft file)

screenshot134.png

(NOTE: This is the 1.0.2 variant, it will be updated for 1.0.4 with the missiles and countermeasures removed).

Edited by ihtoit

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdq08iud6grf3nl/El%20Quicko%20X-A3.craft?dl=0

Try this one, hasn't had any tweaking done for this challenge or anything but is doing pretty well in gunfights in the Top Gun AI challenge. 2 vulcans, has flares and chaff installed but not used. Shouldn't be too hard on your PC, stock version is 25 parts, not much more for this BDArmory version.

brQSvVP.jpg

I think there is already a challenge for this. 

And on a personal note I see some "interesting" designs coming out of this.... while yours looks like an actual aircraft, I see some very non-aircraft looking fighters coming out, that are specifically designed to turn as tight as possible.

4 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I think there is already a challenge for this. 

And on a personal note I see some "interesting" designs coming out of this.... while yours looks like an actual aircraft, I see some very non-aircraft looking fighters coming out, that are specifically designed to turn as tight as possible.

it's a model after the Russian production SU-47 Berkut. Unique in that it is a supercruiser with forward swept wings. That just happens to be able to completely outclass the F35. Not bad for a twenty year old design, eh?

(yes, mine will supercruise out of the box, and the slight redesign (brought the canards ever so slightly forward and the tailplane ever so slightly back) means the takeoff roll is now 38m/s!)

22 minutes ago, ihtoit said:

it's a model after the Russian production SU-47 Berkut. Unique in that it is a supercruiser with forward swept wings. That just happens to be able to completely outclass the F35. Not bad for a twenty year old design, eh?

(yes, mine will supercruise out of the box, and the slight redesign (brought the canards ever so slightly forward and the tailplane ever so slightly back) means the takeoff roll is now 38m/s!)

I notice you're using rapiers, is there a reason for that? Surely the Panthers have just as much thrust, weigh a lot less, are more efficient, and have all that lovely gimbally goodness?

On 1/6/2016 at 10:22 PM, BlueCanary said:

I notice you're using rapiers, is there a reason for that? Surely the Panthers have just as much thrust, weigh a lot less, are more efficient, and have all that lovely gimbally goodness?

yes: I can mount control surfaces on the pods instead of having to offset them from the fuel tank and make everything look messy (not to mention screwing up the aerodynamics)

[EDIT]: I've been running some drone tests (10 degree climb, full throttle with minimal payload) and found that the Rapier outperforms the stock Turbojet in airbreathing mode by a WIDE margin.

Engine performance envelopes
Criterion RAPIER Whiplash Wheesley
Ceiling 29km 22.4km Didn't make it past 3.8km
Top speed @20km, level flight ~1750m/s ~1540m/s 651m/s in a 30 degree power dive from 3.8km

(excuse the shoddy formatting, first time playing with tables on this forum).

Drone build: Shock cone intake, RC001S RGU, MK.I Liquid Fuel Fuselage, engine. Wings are Type A panels with Elevon 3 control surfaces, rudder is Type D panel with Elevon 4 CS. Gear is LightYear Fixed. Rotation at 170m/s.

Edited by ihtoit

On 1/6/2016 at 4:59 PM, ihtoit said:

Sorry to sound horrible here.  But that design wouldnt work as well as you think in FAR. 

If you run that against a F-35 mockup it actually under performs.   We have proven this in the FAR fighter thread.    i too had a forward swept wing design, it was pretty good but limited when it had a realistic engine and fuel load vs the KSP standards.  

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.