Brackets not working in italian mac keyboard

Hi there, I always wondered why [] keys weren't working to switch vessels, today I went to the input settings and tried to remap next/prev vessels.

This is the italian keyboard layout:

italian_notebook.png

basically when I try to remap the right bracket it correctly sets as "Plus", when I try to remap the left bracket instead, pressing the key è (right of P) doesn't show any value, like I haven't pressed anything.

Is there something I can do? Except changing to US layout and back to Italian when I finished playing KSP?

I have the same issue with a French keyboard (OSX 10.6.8). So for me it is impossible to remap the top row keys 2, 6, 7, 9 and 0 (for action groups), or the keys for [ or ' or ', because they are all French-specific accents and accented letters on a French keyboard.

Unfortunately the simple solution - changing the OS's keyboard to US - doesn't actually do anything to KSP on my system and I have no idea why. Every other application gets a QWERTY layout, but not KSP!

So I'm limited to action groups 1, 3, 4, 5 and 8, have remapped (US keyboard) § to action group 10, and have remapped - and = to replace [ and ]...

Um so yes, I too would like a better solution.

Edited by Plusck

OK - some more info because this issue was perplexing me. I've learned to live with it but it seemed odd that there have not been more complaints about it.

So - I switched to US keyboard, fired up KSP and tried to remap keys before doing anything else.

Result: WASD work correctly as per US keyboard. All top row number keys work as numbers, etc.

Tried an EVA - same result. US keyboard recognised.

Quit, switched to French keyboard, started up KSP. Then switched to US keyboard.

Result: KSP recognises only French-keyboard input for keys. WASD becomes ZQSD, top row number keys give &é"'(§è!çà - of which é§èçà are simply not recognised.

However, I went on an EVA and planted a flag. Typing in the flag input box, the keyboard that was recognised was US - as it should be - even though I had to move about by using the "wrongly" mapped keys.

So there you go. I tried a couple more times to be sure but this time around, US keyboard was recognised as long as it is selected before launching the game.

Once the game is running you can switch back to your "real" keyboard layout so that you can type properly.

Still, I'm pretty sure I tried all this when 1.0.5 came out, because I really didn't want to have to remap all the keys again. Perhaps I didn't switch keyboard before launching the game. Who knows. I'll keep an eye on the issue...

One final bit of info: I googled for Unity MacOS keyboard mappings, and found quite a few results that weren't particularly clear as to where the problem lies. Some seemed to suggest that changing the keyboard worked the first time, but that Unity seems to default to the OS's localisation... I was prepared to try that too but in the end, this time around, it wasn't necessary.

And I should specify: this is OSX 10.6.8, installed in English, with British English then English then French chosen as preferred languages in System Preferences > Language & Text > Language, but with a French keyboard and France (French) chosen in System Preferences > Language & Text > Formats.

Edited by Plusck

On 1/11/2016 at 8:41 AM, sal_vager said:

I guess KSP just doesn't know what è is, but P isn't used by anything so you could bind previous vessel to that.

Well, as the game engine, shouldn't it be just a keystroke with a code?

On 1/10/2016 at 2:28 PM, Plusck said:

OK - some more info because this issue was perplexing me. I've learned to live with it but it seemed odd that there have not been more complaints about it.

So - I switched to US keyboard, fired up KSP and tried to remap keys before doing anything else.

Result: WASD work correctly as per US keyboard. All top row number keys work as numbers, etc.

Tried an EVA - same result. US keyboard recognised.

Quit, switched to French keyboard, started up KSP. Then switched to US keyboard.

Result: KSP recognises only French-keyboard input for keys. WASD becomes ZQSD, top row number keys give &é"'(§è!çà - of which é§èçà are simply not recognised.

However, I went on an EVA and planted a flag. Typing in the flag input box, the keyboard that was recognised was US - as it should be - even though I had to move about by using the "wrongly" mapped keys.

So there you go. I tried a couple more times to be sure but this time around, US keyboard was recognised as long as it is selected before launching the game.

Once the game is running you can switch back to your "real" keyboard layout so that you can type properly.

Still, I'm pretty sure I tried all this when 1.0.5 came out, because I really didn't want to have to remap all the keys again. Perhaps I didn't switch keyboard before launching the game. Who knows. I'll keep an eye on the issue...

One final bit of info: I googled for Unity MacOS keyboard mappings, and found quite a few results that weren't particularly clear as to where the problem lies. Some seemed to suggest that changing the keyboard worked the first time, but that Unity seems to default to the OS's localisation... I was prepared to try that too but in the end, this time around, it wasn't necessary.

And I should specify: this is OSX 10.6.8, installed in English, with British English then English then French chosen as preferred languages in System Preferences > Language & Text > Language, but with a French keyboard and France (French) chosen in System Preferences > Language & Text > Formats.

I'm luck that only the special character changes from the US keyboard :)

1 hour ago, alex88 said:

Well, as the game engine, shouldn't it be just a keystroke with a code?

You'd have thought so, but no.

What seems to happen is that for any text entry (ship names, quicksave file names, flag planting etc.) the game simply hooks into the OS's keyboard manager like any other application would. That means you can switch keyboard settings in the OS while the game is open and it'll just accept whatever you input. There is no problem with accents or whatever.

However, for all of the control functions (flight, kerbals, VAB etc.) the game appears to determine the keyboard layout on startup from whatever the OS is telling it, but then that info is fixed until you quit the game.

Now I'm sure that the reason for this is because you can't use the OS's standard input functions if you're going to be pressing several keys at the same time. 

And it would be useful to read the actual keyboard layout if the game then did a lookup for the key bindings that correspond to that keyboard (so that WASD, for example, is automatically translated to ZQSD on a French keyboard), but it doesn't. Instead it merely commits the info to memory somewhere and leaves the key bindings intact.

But what is really very, very silly (and I don't know whether this is Unity or Squad) is that the game or engine simply does not recognise non-ASCII characters for the control inputs.

Edited by Plusck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.