The decommissioning of my orbiter.

DrMarlboro

So in search of a smaller, and more controllable shuttle that can lift a larger payload, it has come time to retire my Ethos orbiter. It was a bit emotional for me as this was my first working shuttle so i thought i'd make a video showing its final voyage. Hope you like it.

edit: i just realized my cursor is in the video for the first two clips... gosh darn it all.... 

Edited by DrMarlboro

1 hour ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Nice design.  I'd be tempted to land the land the last one and leave it parked up somewhere rather than recovering it.

Thanks. And that's a novel idea, and so that's exactly what I did.

60R2Gnm.png

1 hour ago, Val said:

I like the music. Fits the theme very well.

Thanks. After putting the video together it was the only thing that really captured the feelings I have finally retiring this thing. Glad you liked it! I don't normally get too attached to my craft, but I struggled for hours over this thing getting it to not flip over.. Then a few more hours trying to figure out why it wanted to yaw all over the place. A lot went into this guy, and so when i built something better it was hard to just let this thing die in the VAB.

57 minutes ago, DunaRocketeer said:

Nice video! It underscores just how good this game can be - becoming emotionally attached to our vehicles/kerbals/missions isn't something that's seen often in gaming.

Thanks! It was actually kind of surprising how attached I was to it and didn't even realize. I mean, I did use it for 19 successful missions, and 2 failed, so I definitely spent some time with it. But after the second failure I needed a shuttle that could lift a larger payload and it wasn't until I got the new one on the pad that I almost lost it, and decided it had to fly one more mission. I'm actually pretty happy that the game could tug my heart strings like that. 

1 hour ago, RizzoTheRat said:

That's just crying out to have another ship sat the other side of the flagpole, got any other designs you're attached to?

Not yet, but maybe if it's successor Argos is as good it might earn the spot. 

But this has me thinking. Maybe it's time to retire Pathos and Logos (the command module and station I docked with) since their companion is now gone. The station obviously can't be landed, but I may be able to get Pathos back down with some careful planning. 

6 minutes ago, Archgeek said:

Alas, the rhetorical triangle outmoded.  (Also, no Kairos?)

Shhhhh. Chronos and Kairos might just be the successors of the current station ;) if I actually decide to do that. If Not, those are both names I have on my list for use at some point that makes sense. 

Edited by DrMarlboro

This makes me wish there was a stock way to turn off physics on a specific object.. So that we may have our fleets lined up..be they orbiters..rockets..aircraft..cars or trains

People get attached to our craft alot more than youd think.. Its a beautiful thing youve done for her

6 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Might want to put your display area further from the pad so the vehicles are out of physics range when you launch. Unless my information is bad and they fixed this, in which case the placement looks great!

It really shouldn't be that big of an issue with my PC, but if it ever becomes one, I could always weld it, though that may take away from it being the last one, since I would have to recover it, and launch the welded one.... technically. 

2 hours ago, Overland said:

This makes me wish there was a stock way to turn off physics on a specific object.. So that we may have our fleets lined up..be they orbiters..rockets..aircraft..cars or trains

People get attached to our craft alot more than youd think.. Its a beautiful thing youve done for her

Thats a great idea, but I have a feeling the reason its not there is because it would be taken ad vantage of. We can still hope though!

7 hours ago, DrMarlboro said:

It really shouldn't be that big of an issue with my PC, but if it ever becomes one, I could always weld it, though that may take away from it being the last one, since I would have to recover it, and launch the welded one.... technically.

I get the same feeling when I bring a train back to the yard and for whatever reason she needs repairs.. Made all the more difficult by each train having a unique class number

I countered it by realising as long as shes within KSC grounds.. And only ever launch one of a craft of that type

Then its no different from pulling the craft from public eye behind the scenes for repairs or refit

Your orbiters done her lifes work.. If ever she needs to be welded or repaired then recovering that one then launching another.complete with tug operations to haul the old girl back to her parking spot should be seen as a sign of respect

Comes with the added bonus that once you see this as a continuation of preservation.. Perhaps on special occasions she can be put back into service for a flight eg

The launch of 1.1 KSP

Ive certainly taken the time to put a much older design train back into service before.. Be it for fun or to rescue a fallen sistertrain.. Theres a beautiful sense of familiarity and respect that comes with it

Plus

Some things just work.. Even when the flags been passed on to much superior designs :)

I don't usually like to be the guy who comes around and goes "What mods did you use?," but when I do I prefer dos Kerbis um, I really liked those nose caps on the external tank. What are those from, if you please?

P.S. I confess I watched the video at 2x speed. But that music... it's even better at double speed! xD

Edited by parameciumkid
If you are reading this, know that I hate the new post editor.

3 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

I don't usually like to be the guy who comes around and goes "What mods did you use?," but when I do I prefer dos Kerbis um, I really liked those nose caps on the external tank. What are those from, if you please?

P.S. I confess I watched the video at 2x speed. But that music... it's even better at double speed! xD

Its spaceYs heavy lifters 5m caps tweakscaled down to 3.75.

On 1/13/2016 at 7:24 AM, RizzoTheRat said:

Nice design.  I'd be tempted to land the land the last one and leave it parked up somewhere rather than recovering it.

This is why Squad should include a Museum area; perhaps a designated patch where things like this can be parked, excluded from the Physic engine and be treated as if it were just another one of the buildings, keeping the display model pinned for eternity.

Or maybe someone knows how to write an add-on that would do similar?

On 1/16/2016 at 7:41 AM, Xorth Tanovar said:

This is why Squad should include a Museum area; perhaps a designated patch where things like this can be parked, excluded from the Physic engine and be treated as if it were just another one of the buildings, keeping the display model pinned for eternity.

Or maybe someone knows how to write an add-on that would do similar?

I think this, and several other variations of it have been suggested over the years, but squad never commented and no modders have picked it. It's a shame though, it really is a good idea. 

Edit: however, while searching around, it does seem as if i can fiddle with the unpacking range and make it not mess with ships on the launch pad and runway, which may be useful, but only if i can change that value for that ship and not the entire world.

Edited by DrMarlboro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.