KSP localization

Hi. I'm not actually ask devs to make a translation of the game to some language, but merely ask how hard would it be to make game 'localizable' by others? So, while most ppl are happy with original English texts, nonetheless it would be good to give means to make translations.

What i'm actually mean is KSP have no speeches so its localization is pretty simple. All you need is to translate all the texts and probably redraw some textures which are found separately lying in game data folder - almost everyone willing to do that can handle. But the KSP itself is not compatible with those not english texts, and even not totally incopatible but only partially. For example, parts description translations works, but if you try to translate StoryDefs.cfg - you end up with empty strings in Mission Control Center. This looks very weird :confused: Game description files are UTF8 so problem is not there and something in the KSP cuts off localization attempts.

Thanks and excuse me my not perfect 'write in English' skill. Not my first language.

P.S. Have bought KSP on Steam and game works pretty good right now. Having trouble only with attempts to land my ship in few separate pieces so far.

Thanks for looking at my question sal_vager, its helpful but I tried even most complete French translation and things I mentioned are not translated there and I think not because lack of effort (you normally not give your creation v 4.0 from the start).

Found an answer to my question in that thread: "The problem is, that some Texts in KSP use a non-Unicode font, the letters aren't in the font, so they aren't displayed."

So my question mostly is: how hard would it be to make the game use Unicode font everywhere?

Fonts are handled by the Unity3D engine, and you can find the documentation on this here.

Currently Squad does not use dynamic fonts, and as localisations are planned this is not likely to change until Unity add unicode support to dynamic font rendering.

Thanks again for quick answer, sal_vager!

It seems that I have grasped all that Dynamic Font idea. But I can't fathom what Unity should do with it, because here, in documentation, we have: "Unicode support. Unity has full unicode support etc."

But it worth to mention that I'm not a game developer and not familiar with Unity.

Edited by kstark
add one sentence

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.