Debug menu won't open

I got a new computer that runs on Windows 8.1 and when I am playing KSP (Steam version), the debug menu does not open. My F12 key works, my ALT key works, but when I hit them both, nothing happens. I'm at a loss because I've read all other threads I can find related to this and nothing seems to work.

Edited by aburnkatoo

Is is a laptop by any chance ? Some laptops have a "fn" key that you need to press to access the usual F keys functionalities. You'd then have to press Alt + Fn + F12 to show the debug menu.

Have you tried the other F keys to see if the issue is only with the debug menu ? (F1 takes screenshots, F2 hides GUI, F3 shows "mission tracker"...)

Hi aburnkatoo, if you open your settings.cfg in notepad and search for "modifier" you'll see something like this.

MODIFIER_KEY
{
    primary = LeftAlt
    secondary = None
    group = 0
    modeMask = -1
    modeMaskSec = -1
}

If it's not LeftAlt you may want to set it to that, then save the file and start KSP.

If it still doesn't work then it's likely that your F12 key is in use as a media key, so KSP can't use it, you'll need to check the manual that came with your PC or laptop on how to toggle this, but usually there's a button or key for it, such as the Fn key on laptops.

The mod key is set to left alt and when I hit f12 with no other keys, it turns on and off aerodynamic forces overlay, I'm not using a laptop so there isn't an FN key, so I don't think it's in the media mode. On my keyboard it says f12 is also scroll lock, I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. All the other function keys work as well. I have a laptop that also has ksp and the debug menu works fine on it, so maybe something is wrong with the install?

It likely does have something to do with it, as there is no known issue in KSP to cause this.

What key do you need to use to make the scroll lock work?  It can't be F12, so it has to be a combination.

You could try setting the modifier key to something else, such as the RightAlt or RightShift key.

Please set it to RightShift, and hold the Right Shift key when you press F12.

Alternatively please try another keyboard that does not combine other keys with F12.

Also, try googling for issues with your keyboard model, this may be a known problem for your keyboard with a simple workaround.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.