Cats or Dogs

Frybert

Cats or Dogs  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Cats or Dogs

• Cats
    • Dogs

Dog owners (sometimes) pick up after them, while cat owners seem perfectly happy for the bloody things to crap all over my lawn.

When I was a kid we quite often caught mice in the house (old farmhouse), after the cat died we vary rarely found any.  He must have been catching them outside, bringing them in to the house to play with (cats really are sadists) and then letting them go.  Although the fact that my mother once found half a mouse in her wellie suggests he did kill some of them.

On the other hand the dogs (border terrier and then a succession of border collies) were generally lovely, except on the occasions that they'd rolled in something that would make your eyes water at 20 paces and wanted to come rub it off your trousers.

Alas these days I don't really have a lifestyle that would suit having a dog, the wife quite fancies getting one but we're just not at home enough (plus she like Labradors and I'm not a big fan) and I really don't want to be one of those people who leaves the poor dog shut up in the house all day, our collies used to spend at least 12 hours a day running around outside.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, Gaarst said:

Hitler had a dog. #Godwin

Blofeld had a cat

Had a cat, or more accurately the cat had me. 
Came to me beaten up by other cats, I gave it food and it stayed, next day she lay down on my stomach while watching TV.
She stayed for 5 years, moved to new apartment there she could not come and go as she wished so she ran away :(

4 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Alas these days I don't really have a lifestyle that would suit having a dog, the wife quite fancies getting one but we're just not at home enough (plus she like Labradors and I'm not a big fan) and I really don't want to be one of those people who leaves the poor dog shut up in the house all day, our collies used to spend at least 12 hours a day running around outside.

You've basically described what makes the decision for me. If I'm only considering the personality of the two types, then I much prefer cats. The aloof, independent, and randomly playful qualities of felines intrigues me more than the generally predictable, pack mentality of canines.

However, I do enjoy both and my choice of pet would greatly depend on my living situation. If I lived in a traditional subdivision or apartment complex, I prefer cats and they should be indoors due to the general chaos they create in a neighborhood. If I had a larger yard in a subdivision (I'm thinking .5 acres or more then I'd probably have both but keep the cat inside and fence the yard for the dog to stay outside most of the time. However, if I lived on 20-30 acres, all animals would be outside most of the time since they would have plenty of space to roam and not harass my neighbors.

The issue with all of this is that I currently live in a 700 sq ft apartment and that space is not big enough for a cat (hear cat, think litter box). So I have no pets :-(

Why not both? (Yay!)

But really, I think both have their perks. Dogs are loyal and friendly, while Cats are just plain adorable and fluffy. Problem is they have their flaws, too; I've met more than a handful of dogs who have an "attack first, ask questions later" policy, and some cats made a habit to ruin every object they see by scratching it.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta lotta love for both (and they get on with each other too).

XCatdl0.jpg

but if I had to choose, dogs are my fav. They've just more awesome;
Br72Jzp.jpg
Sadly these two are no longer alive. Uphill they could out-accelerate a 550cc quad-bike. This was taken while riding alongside them at around 50kmph.

But this guy takes awesome to a new level. One time I flipped the quad and rolled down a small hill, I was lying face down at the bottom, slightly dazed, and he came over and started pawing at me.  I was fine, but I was curious to see what he'd do so I just lay there.  He used his head to roll me over (I helped a little) and then put his head under my shoulder and pushed until I was sitting up.  Then he came round and lay with his head in my lap, staring right into my eyes.  Lets see a cat do that!

VNFxesfl.jpg
(I'm holding a stick just off camera which he wants me to throw, such focus).

Edited by katateochi

We have one of each, but nearly any dog is better than nearly any cat, IMO. People who are cat fans interpret non-social disinterest as intelligence. Dogs are social animals, and are considerably more intelligent than cats, and you can actually do something with your dog, like go for a walk in the back yard:

27F1418F-E981-4323-A2ED-C7686E807B6C.jpg

10 minutes ago, tater said:

you can actually do something with your dog, like go for a walk in the back yard:

Nice backyard!

I hitch-hike with mine. Back when he was puppy, I instantly got a ride kinda' always. Now he's a big smelly beast, but it's still a lot better with him than alone. I'm always surprised because of that. Guess people think if I were a villain, I'd carry a cat. ^_^

Edited by Evanitis

To be fair, while I can get where that picture is taken on a trail literally from my back yard (there is 1 house sort of between me and the summit), it takes about 5 hours to get where the image was taken (runners do it far faster than I can), most of it rather steep (it's about 6.5 km over, and 1200m up from my house).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.