Sizes for stages

If you look at this picture, you can clearly see that the 3.75 Kerbodyne 14400 tank is modeled after the S-IVB tank on the Saturn V rocket. Showing as how a majority of parts are modeled after real world equivalents, could the bottom, larger stages be incorporated into KSP? I know that mods cover this, but should we have to download other, extraneous files to get a couple parts? If they devs are willing to add modded parts to the stock game (As with remote-tech in 1.1, to name a recent example) can't we get the bigger half of the space program?

If I may add a little bit, the parts in the FASA mod didn't quite meet the ratio of what images of the saturn v's proportion from the lower two to the 3rd stage. The 2.5M to 3.75 to lower two stages should follow their size expansion ratio in my mind. A suggestion being 6.25M, to keep the "Up by 1.25 meters at a time" property. As you know, diameter grows 1/3 as fast as circumference, and I shouldn't have to go any further on that.

The parts wouldn't exactly follow their real-world/in-game counterparts, one part per engine, keeping the same setup as all the other sizes. A large engine block, a large fuel tank, (F1), a cylindrical separator, a small engine block, a smaller fuel tank (not to short) and a conical, big-to-small separator.

vPZqv2N.jpg           r17vXnC.jpg          NJfXXIH.jpg The parts outlined for specificness 

Parts in the game aren't really the equivalent of the real counter-parts. They are scaled down to 64% I think. And the celestial bodies are much smaller than that. So some sort of balance need to be found by Squad.

My only request for tanks would be a longer tank in every sets of part. Like a 720 for 1,25...

NecroBones has got you both covered: SpaceY adds 5m diameter parts (SpaceY Expanded even adds 7.5m parts), and Fuel Tanks Plus adds taller models of all stock tanks (plus the ability to change their textures in game to your liking).

Though I agree it would be a nice thing to have in stock; even if stock KSP doesn't need 5m tanks (considering dV requirements) and if new parts are on the What Not To Suggest Common Suggestions list.

22 minutes ago, AlextheBodacious said:

The engines, but it's clear how the Kerbodyne 14400 is the SIVB is, in the picture

No, when 0.23.5 came out with these new parts it was in partnership with NASA to highlight one of their possible future missions, Asteroid Recovery, using the new heavy lift rocket under the monicker SLS, or Space Launch System.

Notice how there is no pronounced fuel line channel along the side of the Saturn V but there is along the SLS and along the 3.75m large tank.  The 3.75m parts were directly inspired by the SLS.  In fact, you can clearly see the heritage of the SLS tank from this image of the STS tank:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/STS-114_external_tank_foam_missing.jpg

On 1/24/2016 at 7:39 AM, AlextheBodacious said:

If they devs are willing to add modded parts to the stock game (As with remote-tech in 1.1, to name a recent example)

Remote Tech and its parts are not being added to the game.

Edited by regex
Clarifications

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.