New Features

PIS1211

Hey guys,

I am definitely not new to Kerbal Space Program, but I am new to this update. I have always played the alpha version of the game, and I was quite impressed. As you can imagine, I am quite overwhelmed with all the new features in 1.0.whatever it is. So, anyway, what are your thoughts on all these new things? Good or Bad? What are you confused by? What do you understand and wish to share with us? And, what are your ideas?

PIS1211

(Pharaohs in Space)

The aerodynamics overhaul made flying rockets slightly harder initially, but much more fun in the long run. Having a rebalance to jet engines was nice, and the new IVAs are great. 1.0 added a bunch of new systems and tweaked old ones, and pretty much unanimously for the better. I can see how you're feeling overwhelmed; I was playing KSP up to the day 1.0 launched, and it took a while before I was entirly used to the changes. 

Oh. I almost forgot: Water doesn't kill you now, and it's awesome. 

9 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Well, I liked all the new parts. :) But I love the mining system the most out of the new features and plane parts as close second.

Mining is really cool. I haven't used it much though; I've been too distracted by 1.0.5's changes to plane parts. I'm only finally getting back into rockets. 

I have finals right now so i havent had time to explore the ksp universe but i get what you mean. Whenever i launch a spacecraft or rocket especially if its at a high speed it starts to flip around and completely ruins the flight. Any suggestions on how to beat this? I tried adding more than one rotation torque thingy  (forgot its name) but it requires too much electricity

33 minutes ago, PIS1211 said:

Whenever i launch a spacecraft or rocket especially if its at a high speed it starts to flip around and completely ruins the flight. Any suggestions on how to beat this?

Short answer: fins and draggy stuff at the back, and heavy stuff at the front, much like how an arrow or dart is made. 

Slightly longer answer: refer to this post. It's slightly dated, but the information is still relevant. Hope this helps, and if you have further questions about playing the game, I would suggest starting a new thread in the Gameplay questions subforum.

Also, welcome to the forums! 

39 minutes ago, PIS1211 said:

Whenever i launch a spacecraft or rocket especially if its at a high speed [emphasis mine] it starts to flip around and completely ruins the flight. 

This was one of the quirks of the new aerodynamics system. It's more realistic than accelerate to 10,000 meters then turn right, but it takes some getting used to. When rockets are flying at high speed, almost any adjustment will send them spinning out. Reaction Wheels can counter some of the movement, but fins are best. Flying slightly slower can help as well, especially if your rocket isn't perfectly aerodynamic. 

6 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Slightly longer answer: refer to this post.

The post that FullMetalMachinist referenced explains it very well. 

1 hour ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Also, welcome to the forums! 

Thanks FullMetalMachinist!

I gave up on studying and tried adding fins and it actually really helped, thanks guys. What do yall think of the new mining system, has anyone used it yet?

55 minutes ago, Ehco Corrallo said:

This was one of the quirks of the new aerodynamics system. It's more realistic than accelerate to 10,000 meters then turn right, but it takes some getting used to.

This is a good point that I forgot to mention. @PIS1211, if you're still doing the old "straight up to 10km, then turn right to 45 degrees", this is very very bad and you should stop. A realistic gravity turn is required now. If you're not sure how best to do that, this tutorial is a pretty good place to start. After that, if you have specific questions or problems, there are lots of threads on this same issue in the Gameplay Questions forum, or you can start your own. 

It is very important to put the draggiest bits on the bottom. The image below was made just before the whole thing flipped and was torn apart by aerodynamic forces. Kind of disappointing when what you were after was orbital insertion and not a mad scramble to salvage the bits that weren't immediately destroyed. ;)

screenshot837_zpsg1rnlkqk.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.