Around the World

I have built an aircraft that can make it 3/4 around the world with no rocket fuel/engines or achieving orbit. Jet or prop only? Has anyone done this? Is this a challenge? My goal is to make it back to mission control. Must be able to land it.

>:(

NO ROCKETS..... No orbit..... a airplane of some sort not a shuttle...... max altitude 20000m......... land back at kerbal

a airplane of some sort not a shuttle...... max altitude 20000m......... land back at kerbal

land back at kerbal

kerbal

It\'s KERBIN!

Yep, that was done before a lot of times. Even with a restriction of do not get higher than 10 km.

Somebody even do that using infinite glide glitch (that is extra long way to do it). But, still, you are doing good. I can suppose that there is one thing that was not done before.

- Around the world trip with only turbo engines on FULL thrust !!! :)

My theoreticall assumptions that this is possible, and travel time might be something around 4 hours. Good luck !

challenge accepted?

Meet the Albatross. Completely stock and ugly as sin, and I\'m surprised it made it off the ground (it was a pretty close call.)

OcOIG.jpg

u6KYh.jpg

nzNhR.jpg

1350 internal fuel and 3600 external fuel in drop tanks, which looks like enough fuel for 3 hours 26 minutes of continuous full-throttle burn by the single engine. I still can\'t believe I managed to get it airborne... but I probably should have tested handling without the drop tanks. This could be fun.

Currently 12 minutes underway and approaching 5000 feet, with a measly 65 km traveled to date. I\'ll see how it goes.

sorry i was saying kerbin.... and this does get awfully time consuming to find out if youre going to make it. thanks for some of the replies though. Albatross was my other ship too but that thing is way bigger!!... right now im up to 35 fuel tanks and four turbo jets at full thrust

sorry i was saying kerbin.... and this does get awfully time consuming to find out if youre going to make it. thanks for some of the replies though. Albatross was my other ship too but that thing is way bigger!!... right now im up to 35 fuel tanks and four turbo jets at full thrust

How about looking at the spacecraft exchange and get my AW-S Bigboy? it should get around the world.

thats awesome i will give it a try.... here is my latest attempt....... it has 37 fuel tanks and barely gets off the ground too. Im Over 3/4 of the way now

you do know that those intakes are deco? you could save more weight by taking those off, thus better fuel consumtion, thus larger range.

that challenge and other ones implies= you can use rocket power.... I say no rocket power or mods this is unique... quit hating because you either cant do it or dont have enough patience this is a real challenge if you would ever try and not cheat with auto orbit or rockets. jet jet jet jet jet only stock parts only no gliding from upper atmosphere. fly all the way around the world.

that challenge and other ones implies= you can use rocket power.... I say no rocket power or mods this is unique... quit hating because you either cant do it or dont have enough patience this is a real challenge if you would ever try and not cheat with auto orbit or rockets. jet jet jet jet jet only stock parts only no gliding from upper atmosphere. fly all the way around the world.

The established around the world challenge has an organized OP with rules and a leaderboard. It accommodates jets & LFRs, SRBs, and mods, all in separate challenge categories. LFRs aren\'t competitive in the atmosphere, so anyone who wants to compete seriously has to use jet engines. You\'ve copied an ongoing challenge, thus taking away potential challengers from it. If you don\'t intend on making a unique challenge with a clearly defined OP, why not just reply to that thread?

Since you\'ve already made a new challenge, consider changing the rules to make it unique, e.g., 'How far can you get using only 6 jet fuel tanks?'.

Talking about other challenge.

Maybe it have a point to add that list of rules-

1) Turbojets only.

2) Only MechJeb mod allowed. (For automation of long flights).

2) Full thrust all the way. (Thats all about this - around the world as fast as possible in AERO - way)

2) Not higher than 20 km (Just to avoid going suborbital, if you go up to 25, but without going ballistic, nobody will complain).

yes good that is a cool idea..... I\'m sorry for establishing this as a 'challenge' i guess it was question. Has any one done it? As an aircraft not a rocket or shuttle? is it possible? I\'ve tried really hard and made it pretty far but not all the way yet. My apologies to the forum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.