Eve Online: Questions/Concerns

AlextheBodacious

I was looking at this game, EVE Online. It's a pay-to-play deal, so they charge monthly. Believe me, I would've gone to their forums, but you need an EVE account for that (with KSP you get the option for accounts on each page being different) and therefore need to activate the free trial in order to ask if activating the free trial is worth it. I really didn't want to get stuck in that loop, so I came here. Now: Should I play EVE Online? I've assimilated some pros/cons, feel free to add anything to help me:

PROS:........................CONS:

Multiplayer.................Pricey

Trading things...........Seems restrictive

Future-esque............Hard to understand

Looks fun..................Seems not very widely used, as opposed to KSP

Rapid environment seems like new content all the time

Monthly fee

Now some questions: (Bonus points if you play it and can confirm this claim.) Is it worth the price? Is it limited to parts? What are the mechanics? How does it function? Is it CPU heavy? What are the load times? Is there a max server capacity? Is it angering to see something be destroyed that you made? Can you make things? Do they get destroyed often? Is it a decayed community? Now some KSP-central questions: Is it realistic? Orb-mech good? Gravity 5 by 5? Are sizes real-world? What about setting? Real world exist? What's the story line? resources like KSP? Go EECOM? Are there little things like Dang-it! or Mechjeb involved? Is fuel a commodity? What are EVE ISP's? Does this matter for all positions, or only the Explorer Pack? Is it legally restricted to talk about? Can one back up craft files? Is there a screenshot button? Is EVE an upgrade-only, career-only type, where you need smaller things to work up to bigger things? What's the Industrialist economy mechanics? What are some otherwise not easily available pros/cons on career positions between the explorer, industrialist, pirate and law? Are there others? Can you switch later? Are there any other major pros/cons? Is the trial worth it? I've heard that you can actually use in-game resources to pay for play time? Is this true? Is it worth the effort? How fast do you advance? Can you support yourself off this income? Are there restrictions/in-game taxes? Are space stations hard to build? Will I have an advantage playing Orbiter/KSP? Does everything get destroyed? How's the community? Is there a chat method? Does EVE have an IRC? Are there bugs? Is there lag? How's the ship-building compared to KSP?

What career pack should I get?

What would you like to teach a newbie that you had wished you could have known starting off playing it?

Edit:

So I get it like this: (bold means not really any good answer.)

Is it worth the price? It's only $15 bucks. I can manage.

Is it limited to parts? Kinda maybe, you use modules.

What are the mechanics? Kill people and sell something... this one is still pretty vague..

How does it function? Blow up stuff.

Is it CPU heavy? No.

What are the load times? Not KSP, that's for sure!

Is there a max server capacity? No.

Is it angering to see something be destroyed that you made? F*** yes.

Can you make things? Yes.

Do they get destroyed often? See two questions up.

Is it a decayed community? No.

Is it realistic? Orb-mech good? Gravity 5 by 5? Are sizes real-world? Unfortunately no.

What about setting? Real world exist? What's the story line? Trade route collapsed, life is space.

resources like KSP? Go EECOM? Not KSP, But yes, KSP... There's resources but you don't use them except to build and sell.

Are there little things like Dang-it! or Mechjeb involved? Yes ish.

Is fuel a commodity? No.

What are EVE ISP's? Non existent.

Does this matter for all positions, or only the Explorer Pack? Fuel isn't a thing, ok?

Is it legally restricted to talk about? No one has gotten offended yet...

Can one back up craft files? Yup

Is there a screenshot button? Same

Is EVE an upgrade-only, career-only type, where you need smaller things to work up to bigger things? Same.

What's the Industrialist economy mechanics? Still unanswered.

What are some otherwise not easily available pros/cons on career positions between the explorer, industrialist, pirate and law?

Are there others? No.

Can you switch later? Yes.

Are there any other major pros/cons? Not really...

Is the trial worth it? two weeks of free play? Yes please!

I've heard that you can actually use in-game resources to pay for play time? Can you support yourself off this income? This is true.

Is it worth the effort? Yes.

How fast do you advance? N/A

Are there restrictions/in-game taxes? Yes.

Are space stations hard to build? Maybe, what I'm asking is how hard a team is to get.

Will I have an advantage playing Orbiter/KSP? Definitely. Absolutely. Why? Because I have the highest tolerance for things destroyed this side of the hyperverse.

Does everything get destroyed? Yes.

How's the community? Not awful maybe.

Is there a chat method? Does EVE have an IRC? Yuperoni

Are there bugs? Maybe, but I want to know what they are.

Is there lag? Not too much.

How's the ship-building compared to KSP? Not really anything, more WoWS-y

Edited by AlextheBodacious

i used to play eve until last year. eve online is NOTHING like KSP. you cant design your own ships.

you can buy or build ships from exisiting blueprints. there is no orbital physics od fuel involved. its more action oriented like Wing Commander or flight sims. you fly missions and shoot stuff.

there are several carreers to choose from. like trader, mercenary or simple mission runner.

the learning courve is very steep, but the beginner experience got better and better over the years as far as i have heard.

I've stopped playing years ago, when I picked up a fulltime job; that was before before the whole thing with "packs" was introduced... so I frankly don't even know what that's about. But I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Is it worth the price?
That's entirely subjective, isn't it? EVE Online, more than most games, is a game you either love or hate. It is either exactly what you are looking for, or it is something you don't want at all. There's little in the way of "just logging in to aimlessly do a few daily quests" here. EVE is a game that wants you to get involved, deeply. It's about player politics, about allegiances, about leaders and followers, about trust and betrayal, about money and wealth. If you're someone who prefers to play MMOs on your own and occasionally use the party finder to run a dungeon, EVE is not for you. If you're someone who creates guilds in MMOs and always wished your guild could be more than just a roster of names, EVE may be your holy grail. Just be prepared to give it all of your time.

Is it limited to parts?
I don't understand the question.

What are the mechanics?
The mechanics of what? EVE has been running for over 13 years by now, and has usually seen two expansions per year. The amount of game systems and alternative career paths is mindboggling. You'll play three months and won't have dabbled in all of them. This question is a topic for a novel, not for a forum response :P But the ultra, ultra basic gist is that you fly around in a spaceship and try to make money without getting blown up, ransomed, scammed or betrayed by your friends in the process. Good luck!

How does it function?
Again, be more specific.

Is it CPU heavy?
Absolutely yes. But moreso for the poor, poor servers and less so for your PC.

What are the load times?
Four-five seconds-ish, unless you're loading into a fleet battle. You poor thing.

Is there a max server capacity?
Yes and no. There is no "server" per se, but rather one giant cluster of machines, called Tranquility. Each node in the cluster runs only a couple star systems at once, and if one gets heavily loaded, the node can shunt the other systems off to other nodes to fully focus its resources where they are needed. And if the system becomes even more heavily loaded, the node will throttle the simulation speed, causing everything ingame to happen more slowly. As such, individual star systems have a no theoretical cap, just practical one (not like the playerbase cares). The whole cluster meanwhile sometimes gets login restrictions, but not often.

Is it angering to see something be destroyed that you made?
Absolutely. There are few games which make you feel as invested with your ingame assets as EVE does. There have been times where, after I successfully escaped an enemy hunting party, I had to get up from the PC and walk around the house for a while because I was so loaded with adrenaline.

Can you make things?
Yes, you can theoretically play the game without ever firing a shot. The industrialist and trader options are huge and numerous.

Do they get destroyed often?
All the time. Get used to it.

Is it a decayed community?
Decayed? ...I don't think that word means what you think it means. Did you mean "dedicated"? Because no, I don't think the community is made up of rotting corpses :P

Now some KSP-central questions: Is it realistic?
No, it's more like Star Trek meets Dark Souls multiplayer.

Orb-mech good?
There are none.

Gravity 5 by 5?
I don't know what that means.

Are sizes real-world?
Yes.

What about setting?
Distant future sci-fi. Definitely not contemporary/realworld.

Real world exist?
Earth is a distant myth. The setting is in a different galaxy altogether.

What's the story line?
Humans learned to build jump gates for FTL travel, flourished. Eventually stabilized a natural wormhole that led somewhere unimaginably far away. Flourished some more. Eventually the wormhole collapsed, sending everyone on the far side back to the stone age. Thousands of years later, civilization is back among the stars but their roots are all but forgotten.

Rresources like KSP?
Many many more than KSP.

Go EECOM?
What?

Are there little things like Dang-it! or Mechjeb involved?
EVE is a MMO. It is not moddable.

Is fuel a commodity?
Not for spaceships, but for starbases, yes.

What are EVE ISP's?
Like, specific impulses for engines? Such a thing is not simulated.

Does this matter for all positions, or only the Explorer Pack?
I don't know anything about packs, but since it's not simulated, it matters for nobody.

Is it legally restricted to talk about?
Huh?

Can one back up craft files?
Yes.

Is there a screenshot button?
Yes.

Is EVE an upgrade-only, career-only type, where you need smaller things to work up to bigger things?
Sort of, but if you suceed to somehow make absurd amounts of money on day one, you can take quite a few shortcuts.

What's the Industrialist economy mechanics?
There have been guidebooks written about this.

What are some otherwise not easily available pros/cons on career positions between the explorer, industrialist, pirate and law?
I don't know anything about packs, but it really only affects your starting setup. Given enough playtime, anyone can be everything... at the same time.

Are there others?
There are many other tasks you can perform in EVE, yes.

Can you switch later?
Yes. In fact, you don't even need to do any switching. There are no classes. Your function depends entirely on the ship you fly and the modules it is kitted out with, both of which can be bought freely on the market, or even built yourself. You'll need the skills to operate certain ships and modules, but you can train those at any time in any order you wish (within the constraints of prerequisites).

Are there any other major pros/cons?
Pro: the game is full of goons. Con: the game is full of goons.

Is the trial worth it?
Considering the trial is free, then in the strict sense of the term, it is definitely worth it.

I've heard that you can actually use in-game resources to pay for play time? Is this true?
It is completely true. People with lots of RL money and little playtime buy gametime items from the game company and put them up for sale for ingame currency. People with lots of playtime but little RL money can purchase and redeem these. It's 100% legal, and in fact, a good number of games have started copying this model.

Is it worth the effort?
Depends entirely on how much money you are able to earn per hour of effort. And that number depends on how good your are at the game. Which includes skills other than pressing buttons in the right order - such as your ability to obtain and hold important positions within player organizations and/or relieving other players of their stuff without being relieved of yours.

How fast do you advance?
Individual skill training goals can be achieved anywhere from the same day to a couple of months, depending on how elaborate your goal is. But because of the absurd number of possible paths and sidegrades, even someone who played since day 1 and never spent a single day unsubscribed will not have trained everything available today. You'll need to choose what you want and need.

Can you support yourself off this income?
Are you talking about converting ingame cash into RL money? That is not possible.

Are there restrictions/in-game taxes?
Ingame player-run organizations may tax your income in order to pay organizational fees (upkeep of bases/stations, alliance fees, free stuff for newcomers, etc). If you don't like it, find a different group to join which doesn't have taxes.

Are space stations hard to build?
Yes. Those are things that 100-man teams work on for months.

Will I have an advantage playing Orbiter/KSP?
Not at all. It's a completely different game.

Does everything get destroyed?
Not everything, but 90% of it. Frequently.

How's the community?
Incredibly friendly to newcomers. Everyone will help you get started, so that as soon as you have stuff, they can steal all your stuff. Watch your back like a freaking hawk, young whippersnapper. Trust no one who has not earned it. And be prepared to accept the fact that some people will invest more effort into earning your trust in order to steal your stuff than you would consider sane.

Is there a chat method?
Both text and voice chat is integrated into the game client.

Does EVE have an IRC?
Yes, there is an official EVE Online channel. On espernet, unless this has changed over the years.

Are there bugs?
It's a game in active development. Yes, there are bugs.

Is there lag?
It's a MMO. Yes, there is lag sometimes.

How's the ship-building compared to KSP?
More limited, but still very engaging and surprisingly varied.

Hope that helps :P

Edited by Streetwind

The main Con is it's way too addictive :D

I played it for a fair while probably 10 years or so back (I'm guessing its evolved a bit since then), and found I was logging in every morning before work to change training skills around, and rushing home in the evening to get on the game because, as with any MMOG, the game's still running when you're not in it.  Towards the end of my time I was running the manufacturing arm of a small corporation, and spending more time working stuff out on spread sheets that I was playing the game.  I eventually quit after going cold turkey when I went to stay with my parents for a couple of weeks over Christmas :D 

At least with KSP if I save the game and don't touch it for a few weeks everything will be where I left it (Kraken excepted)

I've played for some time and EVE is a game extremely similar to the "ultimate sim/rpg game" I fantasized about years before EVE was a thing.

Anyway, it is nothing like KSP, there is not a single aspect of it that connects these two games. Yes, even the space setting is vastly different. In EVE, physics and orbital mechanics are not simulated. You point your ship, push the GO button and you are speeding along. Jump gates connect different star systems.

What I like about EVE is that is offers so many possibilities. The huge amount of items in game is mind boggling. Everything is connected in some way (you need this and that to build something else which you use to get something.

The trade is (almost) exclusively driven by players. There is virtually no game system imposed price on anything, it's all about actual supply and demand.

One downside is that the mechanics favor older players. Making stuff costs certain amount of other stuff. For example, the efficiency of refining ore is calculated in accordance with player skill (increased with time played), relation with the station owner, etc. Older players specializing in refining ore will always have an advantage and be able to produce more from the same amount of raw ore, consequently lowering the price of it, quite possibly below your profit margin.

And final thing that is just beyond awesome are the rules.

Pretty much everything is allowed except hacking. Cheating, fraud, backstabbing, treason.... heck, even destabilizing entire game economy is allowed. On one (or more) occasion, the developers actually restructured the servers to better handle the upcoming major event that wrecked havoc on one of the most important trade hubs. Thousands of players had their ships destroyed, prices of raw materials skyrocketed, and the devs actually supported such an event.

Another thing is the game of chances and lotteries. Those things are allowed, even if you collect the money for the lottery tickets and run away without giving any prizes. It all allowed! Of course, it's also allowed for anybody that feels wronged to hunt you down and destroy your entire fleet if the feel like it.

7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Is it limited to parts?
I don't understand the question.

How does it function?
Again, be more specific.

Decayed? ...I don't think that word means what you think it means. Did you mean "dedicated"? Because no, I don't think the community is made up of rotting corpses :P

Gravity 5 by 5?
I don't know what that means.

Are there little things like Dang-it! or Mechjeb involved?
EVE is a MMO. It is not moddable.

Is it legally restricted to talk about?
Huh?

Go EECOM?
What?

Can you support yourself off this income?
Are you talking about converting ingame cash into RL money? That is not possible.

I didn't know you couldn't build vessels at the time of questioning.

I was wondering what mechanics it used, e.g., "Drag this thing here and that thing here also and you get a combination of materials," or, "Steal this guy's stuff and sell it at retail," etc.

Decayed as in something from the depths of 4chan, you know... *whisper* (mean people forced out the nice people)

5 by 5 means all in the green, GO over NO GO, there is gravity, and it exists for things like landing spaceships. Can you land on places?

Not mods, but do your ships blow up under no real circumstances? Is there autopilot?

Will a mod come and lock this post?

It was a reference to NASA mission controllers... (AKA a stupid joke)

The last question tied into the playing for free part, like if you could get a large sum of resources, would you be able to play the game with these?

Also, one more question: Is it portable? Can I play it at the library? Do I need to download the client?

Edited by AlextheBodacious

There is no drag and drop interface for ship production as you would find in KSP. Everything is more of a textual interface with lists of stuff you have, need and can make.

You can also steal stuff and sell at retail.

Ships blow up when somebody destroys them.

There is autopilot. You select a destination and the ship gets there.

Yes, you can mine resources, attack other players and steal their stuff, do missions for NPCs, explore new regions, do salvage etc and earn ingame currency with which you can buy more play time.

You need the client.

I played Eve Online for about three and a half years. It's been a while (I stopped playing around the time they were talking about revamping the planetary management system) but I doubt the game has changed that much since then. 

Is it worth the price?

Yes, there is a sufficient amount of game to justify $15 / month. 

Is it limited to parts? 

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you mean, is the game segmented into expansions and what have you that you have to pay extra to get at, then no. Your (active) EON account gets you the whole smash. 

What are the mechanics? 

You do not "fly" your ship like you would in Wing Commander or KSP. The interface is reminiscent of an RTS-- you have a 3rd person view of your ship, and you control it by clicking your mouse on various parts of the screen. It is similar to Homeworld. There is also a lot of on screen information and various windows that can be customized to a point. . .it can end up looking like a screen full of spreadsheets with a small icon in the middle representing your ship. 

How does it function? 

I could write a book here. Broadly, you control a character that learns "skills". You purchase the skill book from an NPC vendor and "install" it. Then you set the skill to "train". Training is automatic, and occurs without game play. It will run when you're offline. You can only train one skill at a time, and most of them have prereqs. You can queue up other skills to start training when the active skill finishes, but only out to 24 hours. At higher levels, some skills can take a week or more to train. If your active skill finishes and you have nothing in your queue, you will not train any skills at all until you can log in and set one. 

And if that sounds like it's starting to take over your life, it is. The whole game is that way.

Is it CPU heavy? What are the load times? 

It can be, but only under certain conditions. Most of the work is being done by CCP's server, and for solo play EON is not very hardware intensive. But there is very little limit on how many ships can participate in a battle, and large engagements can quickly become a slide show. The sweeping cinematics of huge space battles are pretty to look at, but that's not how it happens. Most players who expect to engage in that kind of battle have their graphics all the way down and their cameras zoomed all the way out. 

Is there a max server capacity? 

No. There is only one server and it operates under a node system. CCP has gone to great lengths to prevent players being locked out of a battle, and while the game may grind to a halt occasionally (we're talking 1000 ships in the same place shooting at each other), neither the server nor the individual star systems have a max capacity.

The only exception here is the log in server. Account authentication is handled by a separate system, and occasionally it can reach peak capacity. You'll really only see this if the main server goes down and everyone is trying to log back in at the same time. 

Is it angering to see something be destroyed that you made? 

You have no idea. 

There is a maxim in Eve that you should never fly anything you can't afford to lose. Sooner or later everyone gets caught out in the open with something expensive, but that's not the real problem. The real problem is when the lost item in question (be it a massive ship, or control of a star system or even a diplomatic arrangement) is something that was a the result of a collaborative effort. The finger pointing and angst can be unbelievable.

Can you make things? Do they get destroyed often?

If you're making things to use, as opposed to making things to sell, you'll need to come to terms with the fact that ships might as well be treated as ammunition. They are expendable to a large degree.
Of course, if you're a member of a corporation (think "guild" in a traditional fantasy MMO) and you lose a ship, you might get called to the carpet for harming the corps kill-to-death ratio. And since there are groups of pirates and other ne'er do wells that actively seek out groups with low k/d ratios, this can be an actual problem.

No. EON is a highly successful niche game with a small but active community. It doesn't have millions of players, but given that everyone is on the same server together (except the Chinese) the community is plenty big enough. And there really is nothing else like Eve on the market.  

Is it realistic? Orb-mech good? Gravity 5 by 5?

Eve Online is very much not a physics simulation. Orbits don't exist, and there is no gravity. The game plays very much like Homeworld, and the planets are effectively just decoration.

Are sizes real-world? 

Yes, but your perspective is not. Again, think Homeworld.

What about setting? Real world exist? What's the story line?

Eve has a fascinating setting that is almost entirely backdrop within the game itself. The people living in the Eve universe descend from settlers who colonized the area through a wormhole. . .a long time ago. I forget the actual amount of time, and it's possible those in the universe don't really know themselves. But the wormhole blew up, and civilization was very nearly wiped out. Earth is, at best, a myth forgotten by all but the most dedicated scholars. No one has ever been able, either before the destruction of the wormhole or afterwards, to pin down the location of the area relative to Earth. It is likely it is not in the same galaxy, possible it's not in the same universe, and there is one story mission that plays the "Event Horizon" card and hints that the Eve Online universe is actually Hell. 

Overall, the setting is very dystopian and quite dark. 

Resources like KSP? Go EECOM? Are there little things like Dang-it! or Mechjeb involved? 

No, all of that is abstracted away, with the possible exception of Mech Jeb. You don't fly the ship directly. 

Eve Online and KSP have virtually nothing in common, except that they both occur in space. You do mine asteroids for resources though, and my goodness is it boring. 

Is fuel a commodity? What are EVE ISP's? 

For most ships, no, fuel is abstracted away. Standard sublight movement is free. Ships have a warp drive that allows FTL flight within a star system. This drive pulls power from a capacitor in one large chunk, and that capacitor recharges from the ship's reactor at a rate determined by the hardware and your skills. Movement between star systems is performed by flying through a jump gate (think Babylon 5). None of those activities use fuel.
Starbases use fuel (oh God, ice mining :confused:) for their shields and systems. Capital ships and super capitals have jump drives that allow them to move between star systems without a jump gate, and these drives use fuel. Starbases and capital ships are not something you build and operate on your own. 

Does this matter for all positions, or only the Explorer Pack? Is it legally restricted to talk about?

Sorry love, but I have no idea what you're talking about here. 

Can one back up craft files? Is there a screenshot button? 

You can store ship configurations in game. If you have the right modules available, you can hit a button in the hanger and the game will kit out your ship for you. 

Is EVE an upgrade-only, career-only type, where you need smaller things to work up to bigger things? 

Yes.

What's the Industrialist economy mechanics? 

Not for the faint of heart. You can sell stuff for quick cash without too much trouble, but for some people, this is the entire game. Market manipulations, trade wars. We're talking stock broker levels of involvement.

What are some otherwise not easily available pros/cons on career positions between the explorer, industrialist, pirate and law? Are there others? Can you switch later? 

The career packs were introduced right before I stopped playing, and unless something has radically changed they don't really matter at all. They give you a bit of a kick to a certain set of skills, but skills in EON are completely a la carte. There is no upper limit to how many skill points your character can have, and there is no reason you'd ever need to give up old skills if you decide you want to switch directions. 

I've heard that you can actually use in-game resources to pay for play time? Is this true? 

Yes. Players can go to CCP's website (I think you can do this in game now too) and pay real life money for a "pilot license extension" (PLEX). This item can be redeemed for a fixed amount of subscription time, but it can also be sold on the in game market for in game currency. In this way, some players can buy in game cash for real cash, and others can "play for free" (:rolleyes:) using in game currency without wrecking the in game economy. 

Is it worth the effort? 

No. While some people can be successful doing this, most I've seen end up locked in a cycle where they spend most of their game time scrounging for the cash needed to pay for their game time. If you do the math, you're vastly better off getting a part time job and coughing up that $15 a month. 

If you don't have $15 to pay for Eve Online, you don't have time to play it. 

Are space stations hard to build?

Space stations are a pain in the rear end. Building them is one thing. Feeding and protecting them is a whole different level of annoying. But they're the only way to do certain things and operate in certain areas. 

Space stations are a group activity, and they are very much a means to an end, and not an end themselves.

Will I have an advantage playing Orbiter/KSP? 

Eve Online is nothing like either of those games, and nothing directly transfers. However, I would say a KSP/Orbiter player might have a small advantage in that they are more comfortable with learning from failure, and are less likely to balk when faced with a complex and poorly documented system.

Does everything get destroyed? How's the community? Is there a chat method? Does EVE have an IRC? Are there bugs? Is there lag? 

Your stuff will eventually either get blown up or end up rotting in a hanger somewhere unused. That's the nature of the game. But "eventually" can be a very long time. 

The community is surprisingly good, given that the game focuses on knocking over other people's sandcastles. 

It's been a while since I've played. There are bugs and there is lag, but nothing unmanageable. 

How's the ship-building compared to KSP?

It's not remotely comparable. A builder generates a specific hull type from a blueprint, and then kits out that hull with modules. Ships take damage in terms of hit points, and are either "alive" or  "blown up". 

What career pack should I get?

No idea. As I said, unless something changed dramatically, it doesn't really matter.

What would you like to teach a newbie that you had wished you could have known starting off playing it?

For the love of God, don't do it. 

The only resource in Eve that matters is time. Eve will take every hour of every day you are able to give it, and given the hyper competitive environment you will always feel the pressure to give it more of your time. I've seen it wreck relationships. I've seen wars start because someone didn't immediately leap to the defense of a station even though they were at work when the attack started. 

The basic problem is that most things in Eve Online take an incredible amount of man hours to accomplish. Normally the solution to this would be to gather more people and parcel out the work load, but Eve doesn't work like this. It is an environment where treachery is actively encouraged, and the best way to keep your operation safe is to involve the minimal number of people possible. And that encourages working people to death. 

Steer clear of this one. Eve Online is not the game you want it to be. 

13 hours ago, Shpaget said:

And final thing that is just beyond awesome are the rules.

Pretty much everything is allowed except hacking. Cheating, fraud, backstabbing, treason.... heck, even destabilizing entire game economy is allowed.

Back when I was playing there was a corp that was supposedly doing some stuff that needed investment (in game) and the guy running it promised to double peoples investment over a period of a couple of weeks.  He even offered to take in smallish investments, and prove the return before people invested more.  Within a few weeks a huge number of people had had their initial investment doubled, ploughed more ISK in, and crowed about it on the forums so even more people invested.  Of course the whole thing turned out o be a Ponzi scam and the guy disappeared with millions of ISK, transferred it to a different character and deleted that one. :D

On 2/22/2016 at 0:20 AM, Ten Key said:

For the love of God, don't do it. 

This is everything you need to know about EVE Online. It's like a drug, it seems fun at first but soon gets incredibly frustrating and makes you feel like [REDACTED], and when that happens you're already past the point of no return - it just keeps pulling you back in no matter how hard you try to quit. I've been playing since Feb 2014 and I've lost count of how many times I burned out trying to make enough ISK so I could do the things I wanted to do and stopped playing for a few months. Once you get stuck in that never-ending cycle it's nearly impossible to get out. I didn't - I subscribed again a few weeks ago :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.