RIAC - Resources in a Can

Caithloki

The refinery and battery are in game and the doors work so far, the battery has electricity storage as well. Now I just need to give the refinery a small amount of fuel storage and the ability to refine stuff. The doors as radiators, eh I don't know how to do that.

DAwTafu.jpg

Edit: and it is refining fuel :D, this will need a lot of balancing to make it fair. I still need to figure out weights and proper measurements for fuel amounts allowed in the tanks and refinery, I also need to make an ore tank as well, just realized that when I put it on the launch pad.

LDZtAag.jpg

Edited by Caithloki

Wooooo I don't want to bankrupt the space agency by charging as much as the latest macbook :P, but I hear yeah.

I still need to design a probe core for this, I will probably follow the way the probes upgrade in stock. As in you need the highest level to be able to get all the targeting options. 

The mod now has a drill, ore tank, fuel tank, refinery and a battery, along with the central core.

Next on the docket is to add a probe core, a source of power (either solar or reactor/ or both) and finish the landing legs. 

If you want to try it out here is the space dock link. 

http://spacedock.info/mod/1160/RIAC - Resource in a Can

Some concept art for planned parts.

Solo drill and antenna/probe part.

swriKBk.jpg

Solar panels and enginers (stack and side slung)

h6UAaGH.jpg?1

Radiators and new designs for already created parts (or upgraded versions)

H1Eg3kM.jpg?1

Sorry for the poor quality on the pics, I don't have a scanner and kinda got into drawing mod on my sketch book instead of in a digital program.

Here is the probe core first draft ontop of the core, I think I will start adding specular to the models, they are feeling to flat to me. Plan to work on the antenna next and maybe the radiators but I honestly cannot think of a way to make them work, should I setup nodes on the doors to attach them? I think that might be more of a headache then needed so I might put them as a texture on the door but I do not know if the heat effect would show up. 

I6ojleD.jpg

Antenna close and open first draft, after getting all the parts figured out for the mod pack (excluding the higher tier upgrade versions) I will be improving the textures. I am starting to dislike the grey, I am feeling more towards a general white/black texture like nasa uses. *Well I guess forgot about this model, I cannot transfer the animations over to Unity since it was edge manipulation, will have to cook something else up.

rJyJvDy.jpg

Hxmcxov.jpg

Edited by Caithloki

The first draft of solar panels, just have to figure out the exact process of it folding in then I'm on to texturing it. Edit: Textured and the container, doors, and half core are also finished. All three were pretty simple to make since I just had top scale them down to a smaller size, might be 1/3rd cord to be honest. Next thing to make is the Radiator quarter module.

x9P0g0m.jpg

Now with animations!

Edited by Caithloki

Currently having issues with the solar panel quarter, its doors work correctly, but after the doors are open there is no option to click for opening the solar panels, for some reason action groups work, toggle will allow me to retract and extend but with the extend and retract on their own action groups it only allows extend and retract does not work. Can anyone help?

NTsgbUh.jpg

lg4lCsu.jpg

On 12-1-2017 at 6:15 PM, Caithloki said:

Trying to decided for either a inflatable tank or a normal tanks :/ 

Cdtykue.jpg

SZBHjQC.jpg

They are both the same model, just one is expanded and the other not, if it requires a MM file to do inflatable tank I might just stick with the normal tank. I mostly just want to have enough fuel storage to fill a couple oscarB tanks, since this will mainly be an early form of mining. So you could say land this on IKE or other small moon, have it start mining and producing. Then send a probe with science tools to ike and use the RIAC system to refuel it to sci hop around the planet instead of sending many probes there (albeit with proper planning it would make this idea moot).

Please create inflatable tanks, it something KSP desperately needs, especially if the can be shielded when retracted in a can. It something I have been looking a very long time...

Version 0.05

Added

-Solar panels are in the pack now, currently the only Half Quarter Block.

-Half Core added

-The drill should be operating visually properly now. 

Fixed/Broken

-F]Drill animation doesn't snap into place anymore

-F]Drill bit length increased so it can reach the ground

-B]Drill missing model for the extension arm (Will fix tomorrow)

Next Update

-Half Quarter Block of a radiator

-Half Quarter Block of a nuke reactor (Maybe, is so will probably need at 4 slots to be able to power it)

xzuL4PW.jpg

Edited by Caithloki

6 hours ago, Kombat engineer said:

Nice! Why not add science in a can(because having to build expensive rovers plus a rocket to launch them is so 1980's)

That will probably be one of the next things to create, maybe the bigger non reusable (unless engineer is able to refresh) will take a full quarter block. Then the other reusable ones would get a full sized container. I will flesh out these tonight on paper.

I am also dabbling with an idea, albeit in my head, to create a rover body kinda like the rover pics I added last night. it would include storage for fuel or electricity or even other things. Also maybe have animations to allow it to fold up to store it, although I need alot more experience to do animations in KSP, the solar panels were a 3 hour en-devour to just get the part working and I had to remove the doors to do so, but I like the way they look without the doors.

Edit: Might just create a container with a back board that the science parts can be placed on instead of its own module. Will be less cluttered in the menu then putting them all into one part.

Edited by Caithloki

On 1/19/2017 at 1:41 PM, Caithloki said:

That will probably be one of the next things to create, maybe the bigger non reusable (unless engineer is able to refresh) will take a full quarter block. Then the other reusable ones would get a full sized container. I will flesh out these tonight on paper.

I am also dabbling with an idea, albeit in my head, to create a rover body kinda like the rover pics I added last night. it would include storage for fuel or electricity or even other things. Also maybe have animations to allow it to fold up to store it, although I need alot more experience to do animations in KSP, the solar panels were a 3 hour en-devour to just get the part working and I had to remove the doors to do so, but I like the way they look without the doors.

Edit: Might just create a container with a back board that the science parts can be placed on instead of its own module. Will be less cluttered in the menu then putting them all into one part.

Its your mod go for it!.

Depending on whats going on I should have a few more parts released in a week, I am going to try to have the engines and landing legs done by friday at the latest, depending on my schedule. They are the main parts remaining to make it a self contained ISRU, without them It requires other parks for the lander. 

I might need to redesign the legs design depending on how low the stack engine is.

Edited by Caithloki

Hmm, I tried to get the landing legs to work, but something isn't working with it, so they might be pushed back till I can figure them out.

I am working on the engine tonight, pics will be up once I figure out how the engine will look texture wise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.