Beyond the sun

kknight13

Recently i got two ships escaping the suns gravitational pull (scheduled to be free in sometime over 68 years) however i can\'t zoom out beyond the sun, does anyone know what happens after you escape the sun\'s pull? is there another body you start orbiting?

would be really cool if you could get to other star systems but would probably take a couple of centuries at least and 10K speed is too slow for that.

As of now, there is no other body, and you can\'t escape Kerbol either, as its sphere of influence is infinite (the gravity becomes very close to zero after some time, though). The universe of the game itself is infinite, so either you can go on forever, or the game will crash at some point, or at least glitch.

The only useful thing you can do now, is to try and get back to Kerbin =P

You can reach escape velocity for Kerbol fairly easily (should be about 4-5km/s over Kerbin\'s orbital speed at that altitude) but you never leave the SoI. It just becomes a slow journey at some point with a speed asymptotically approaching ship\'s hyperbolic excess velocity following its hyperbolic orbit.

I recently destroyed some compound debris in orbit with a laser cannon. I guess one component got destroyed, and others received such impulses that they went far and wide. As a result, after a Kerbin day or two they overflowed their 2 million or so altitude and predictably bugged out to minus 2 million or so (it\'s actually a bit over that). I was able to switch to them, but at that moment everything stopped working, I could do escape menu, but after I clicked on any buttons the menu will not function (either closed with no effect or just blinked the button, don\'t remember). I have the persistent from then, I think, could post upon request. I am using about 10 mods though, so beware before you request this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.