I have a few questions

ussoldier2002

I am brand new to this game and I am trying to figure out a couple of things. Most important to me is changing the land masses on Kerbin. I like everything about the planet as is but I was wondering if I can just put a gray scale map somewhere and it will show up on the planet if that makes any sense. I downloaded kopernicus  but I don't think it is what I am looking for. I don't want to create an entire planet from scratch, just modify Kerbin. 

What mod do I need to move KSC where I want it?

Can I create landing strips where I want them?

I once saw a youtube video (only saw it once so I don't remember what it was) where a mod or something was used to portray cities on the ground. I like that and was wondering if there was a way for me to put my own cities on Kerbin in my own locations.

I also saw something called night lights or something that portray city lights at night. It was beautiful and I was hoping there is a way to put city lights where I wanted them as well.

The reason for these questions is I have built my own universe on Simcity 4 and would love to use my gray scale map for KSP. I want to take pics of my cities and overlay them on the land and place night lights over those cities.

I also have CKAN which I have figured out how to use. Now I am not sure how to search for what I want. For example I was hoping someone had created the Mercury rockets (I swear I have seen them on youtube) but when I search for Mercury I find nothing. So if you have any advice I am willing to listen. Just be easy on KSP jargon because I will have no idea what you are talking about.

I hope to create a youtube series when I get everything up and running. I also incorporated OOTP Baseball into the same universe so if I ever get caught up I think it will be very interesting.

I can't answer all of your questions, but think I can nail several of them.

40 minutes ago, ussoldier2002 said:

Do a search for "KSC Switcher." I'm not sure if it's updated for 1.0.5 specifically but I'm pretty sure it still works. It comes with a config with some "Earth" places, but you can edit it to put things anywhere. Look through the thread, we do a lot of chatting about how to place the KSC in different places.

42 minutes ago, ussoldier2002 said:

I once saw a youtube video (only saw it once so I don't remember what it was) where a mod or something was used to portray cities on the ground. I like that and was wondering if there was a way for me to put my own cities on Kerbin in my own locations.

You're looking for "EVE" or "Environmental Visual Enhancements". It comes with an image file (I believe it's a TGA these days) that defines where all the cities are on Kerbin. You can change that and it'll change in-game. Spoiler alert: I designed that map :D

44 minutes ago, ussoldier2002 said:

I want to take pics of my cities and overlay them on the land and place night lights over those cities.

I'm not sure if that's possible with EVE. The cities are placed where the light map is, but the actual city texture is a different image that is just tiled.

1 hour ago, ussoldier2002 said:

I also have CKAN which I have figured out how to use. Now I am not sure how to search for what I want. For example I was hoping someone had created the Mercury rockets (I swear I have seen them on youtube) but when I search for Mercury I find nothing.

FASA has rockets for pretty much the entirety of the US space program, including the manned spacecraft.  Mercury, Gemini, Apollo are all included.  Mod thread here:

It's on CKAN, so no worries about installing it.

Also, Kerbin-Side adds other launch sites around Kerbin, but they're preselected - you can't place them just anywhere.  Mod thread here:

Edited by MaxxQ

6 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Thought Mercury's launcher was called Redstone. 

Redstone and Atlas. Redstone was used for the early suborbital flights, the heavier Atlas rocket was used to send Mercury into orbit.

22 hours ago, ussoldier2002 said:

Can I create landing strips where I want them?

There is a mod called Kerbinside that has beaucoup new bases, airstrips, you name it, that have been built by other players.  And these other bases are built with another mod which I forget the name of (plus some non-game 3D editors and such).  Might want to give that a look.

13 minutes ago, ussoldier2002 said:

Wow!! Thank you guys so much for all of your help. I would like to thank you all individually but I don't want to spam the thread lol. I will give all of your suggestions a try.

Well, there's the "Like this" button in the lower right corner of every post.  Which you just got from me for your kind thoughts here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.