When will KSP allow rebindable Mouse controls?

AutoHotkey (It's free!)

Let's you rebind any key to any other key for any game via simple text file scripting.

It's not hard at all and doesn't require any coding experience, For instance if you wanted Mouse 1 to control staging it would look like this in the notepad file:

LButton::Space

Or if you wanted the middle mouse button to toggle soft controls:

MButton::CapsLock

I love this app personally, I would'ave never gotten through Deserts of Kharak or the Homeworld remake if I couldn't rebind camera control to WSAD instead of the arrow keys. (Neither game has any in game options for rebinding keys believe it or not!)

You can edit the settings.cfg file to change the key bindings.  I've changed the EVA run key from shift to command because I can't scroll while holding shift on my Mac Mini.

4 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

AutoHotkey (It's free!)

Let's you rebind any key to any other key for any game via simple text file scripting.

It's not hard at all and doesn't require any coding experience, For instance if you wanted Mouse 1 to control staging it would look like this in the notepad file:

LButton::Space

Or if you wanted the middle mouse button to toggle soft controls:

MButton::CapsLock

I love this app personally, I would'ave never gotten through Deserts of Kharak or the Homeworld remake if I couldn't rebind camera control to WSAD instead of the arrow keys. (Neither game has any in game options for rebinding keys believe it or not!)

Except there are distinct mouse buttons which activates distinct commands. and I can't find that in the settings.cfg.  For example the panning command. 

Kerbal space program having no rebindable mouse buttons is pathetic really for a PC game.  I thought it would had been fixed months ago before it releases from early excess. 

Edited by tempsgk

13 hours ago, tempsgk said:

Except there are distinct mouse buttons which activates distinct commands. and I can't find that in the settings.cfg.  For example the panning command. 

Kerbal space program having no rebindable mouse buttons is pathetic really for a PC game.  I thought it would had been fixed months ago before it releases from early excess. 

I think you quoted the wrong response, I never mentioned the settings.cfg.

I mean I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to rebind to/from the mouse since you didn't bother to actually mention that, but chances are you could accomplish it or get close enough with AutoHotkey.

That said, plenty of PC games don't offer control customization at all and a lot of them don't let you rebind the mouse specifically. It's not especially unusual or "pathetic" so if you're going to let such a small and common issue ruin your enjoyment of the game, I suggest you take up knitting instead.

55 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I think you quoted the wrong response, I never mentioned the settings.cfg.

I mean I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to rebind to/from the mouse since you didn't bother to actually mention that, but chances are you could accomplish it or get close enough with AutoHotkey.

That said, plenty of PC games don't offer control customization at all and a lot of them don't let you rebind the mouse specifically. It's not especially unusual or "pathetic" so if you're going to let such a small and common issue ruin your enjoyment of the game, I suggest you take up knitting instead.

Trying to rebind the middle mouse button, because that button is somehow used for dragging. This is very useful when building.  

KSP does not allow shortcuts or bindings for mouse, which I personally find pathetic, its my personal opinion take it as that as it should had been sorted before it came out of early excess.   Also yes its pretty unusual as most PC games especially in this category "simulation" offers comprehensive keybindings, especially for the mouse of all peripheral since everyone who uses a PC have it,  and there is nothing wrong complaining about it or pointing to the issue     

9 minutes ago, tempsgk said:

Trying to rebind the middle mouse button, because that button is somehow used for dragging. This is very useful when building.  

KSP does not allow shortcuts or bindings for mouse, which I personally find pathetic, its my personal opinion take it as that as it should had been sorted before it came out of early excess.   Also yes its pretty unusual as most PC games especially in this category "simulation" offers comprehensive keybindings, especially for the mouse of all peripheral since everyone who uses a PC have it,  and there is nothing wrong complaining about it or pointing to the issue     

Apologies if I was a little snarky, hadn't had my coffee yet.

So you basically want to use a different key to pan the camera? Because AutoHotkey can do that, it's not even hard. ( A notepad file with the line "Space::Mbutton" would make it so when you hold spacebar and move the mouse it pans the camera for example) If you're really put off by the whole script thing, and you told me explicitly which keys/mouse buttons you wanted rebound to what I could prolly write it up for you? All you would have to do is double click a note pad file before firing up KSP. If you were a better coder than me you could even make it to automatically run when KSP does but I have't quite got that far myself.

I understand and respect your opinion about keybinds, drives me nuts when a game won't let me customize the controls to my liking! But that's why I'm suggesting AutoHotkey (Or any similar program, I find it to be the easiest one personally, and it's free.) so you never have to deal with this problem in any game, ever again.

9 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Apologies if I was a little snarky, hadn't had my coffee yet.

So you basically want to use a different key to pan the camera? Because AutoHotkey can do that, it's not even hard. ( A notepad file with the line "Space::Mbutton" would make it so when you hold spacebar and move the mouse it pans the camera for example) If you're really put off by the whole script thing, and you told me explicitly which keys/mouse buttons you wanted rebound to what I could prolly write it up for you? All you would have to do is double click a note pad file before firing up KSP. If you were a better coder than me you could even make it to automatically run when KSP does but I have't quite got that far myself.

I understand and respect your opinion about keybinds, drives me nuts when a game won't let me customize the controls to my liking! But that's why I'm suggesting AutoHotkey (Or any similar program, I find it to be the easiest one personally, and it's free.) so you never have to deal with this problem in any game, ever again.

Ok, I want to use the middle mouse button to pan the camera.  The problem is that somehow the middle mouse button which activates panning stops working, this is primarily a software issue as the middle mouse button still works in every other medium.  Then I realised this game does not allow binding of the mouse, despite being able to bind pretty much every other peripheral, I find that ridiculous. 

It would be great if you can create a script for it.  As the middle mouse button does not work for KSP,  but I don't think autohotkey will be enough .  Its not as simple.  Currently there is a shortcut for panning. It is LeftShift+arrow keys. Each arrow key dictate the direction to pan, so creating an autohotkey script to fix the "bug" won't work as the middle mouse button is a single key.   

I would say its a bug as its a fresh install but still the middle mouse button does not activates panning, but this would all had been solved if KSP actually allows us to configure shortcuts and keybindings.  I also took a look at the settings.cfg, can't find where to rebind mouse panning.  

Edited by tempsgk

9 minutes ago, tempsgk said:

Ok, I want to use the middle mouse button to pan the camera.  The problem is that somehow the middle mouse button which activates panning stops working, this is primarily a software issue as the middle mouse button still works in every other medium.  Then I realised this game does not allow binding of the mouse, despite being able to bind pretty much every other peripheral, I find that ridiculous. 

It would be great if you can create a script for it.  As the middle mouse button does not work for KSP,  but I don't think autohotkey will be enough .  Its not as simple.  Currently there is a shortcut for panning. It is LeftShift+arrow keys. Each arrow key dictate the direction to pan, so creating an autohotkey script to fix the "bug" won't work as the middle mouse button is a single key.   

I would say its a bug as its a fresh install but still the middle mouse button does not activates panning, but this would all had been solved if KSP actually allows us to configure shortcuts and keybindings.  I also took a look at the settings.cfg, can't find where to rebind mouse panning.  

Yeah I removed WSAD editor mod and I'm trying it in my game right now, I can't find any way to pan the camera away from the craft your building. I'm not even sure this is an issue of keybinding so much as the camera is just intentionally locked to the craft during construction. Panning works fine when just idling at the KSC menu, and it works when controlling a vessel although it isn't so much a pan as an offset in that instance.

I'm gonna recommend you try out the WSAD editor camera mod, I think you'll like it better than the standard editor camera.

Unless SQUAD decides to change this I don't think there is much else we can do. 

I have long wanted to be able to remap every key binding. Whilst a lot are done and things are a lot better than they were it would be the last bit of quality to extend the good work already done to include every input the user can do so in that vein I support this suggestion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.