64-bit hack/workaround? [Resolved, thanks!]

Hi there,

tried this once, didn't quite work out for me, but might for others. However, with 1.1 just beyond the horizon, I doubt this will be worth it. Might I suggest you try this:

• Run the game in OpenGL. This saves a crapload of memory, at least for me.

• Use Dynamic Texture Loader, a mod by @rbray89

• Finally, you can go into each mod, that adds parts, and remove each part, that you do not need. What I do is, to compress parts that I do not need into a .zip file and the delete the relevant files. That way, if I find I need a certain part, I can always restore it. Also, you can install procedural parts and then go in and remove all fuel tanks from all part mods. That in itself should help a bit with memory.

To round this up, there is also a good YouTube video by Bob Fitch - @Felbourn on the forums - who made an AMA on How to Save RAM.

FYI, I run KSP in 32bits with roughly 96 mods and my install tops out at approximately 2.6 gigs of RAM upon entering the VAB. When loading and launching a craft, I usually jump to around 3.0 gigs. But it usually stays thereabouts. After six to twelve scene changes I usually reload the game, because the memory keeps leaking towards that barrier of 3.7ish gigs.

Hope this helps!

Edited by StarStreak2109
Added info about my install.

11 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Hi there,

tried this once, didn't quite work out for me, but might for others. However, with 1.1 just beyond the horizon, I doubt this will be worth it. Might I suggest you try this:

• Run the game in OpenGL. This saves a crapload of memory, at least for me.

• Use Dynamic Texture Loader, a mod by @rbray89

• Finally, you can go into each mod, that adds parts, and remove each part, that you do not need. What I do is, to compress parts that I do not need into a .zip file and the delete the relevant files. That way, if I find I need a certain part, I can always restore it. Also, you can install procedural parts and then go in and remove all fuel tanks from all part mods. That in itself should help a bit with memory.

To round this up, there is also a good YouTube video by Bob Fitch - @Felbourn on the forums - who made an AMA on How to Save RAM.

FYI, I run KSP in 32bits with roughly 96 mods and my install tops out at approximately 2.6 gigs of RAM upon entering the VAB. When loading and launching a craft, I usually jump to around 3.0 gigs. But it usually stays thereabouts. After six to twelve scene changes I usually reload the game, because the memory keeps leaking towards that barrier of 3.7ish gigs.

Hope this helps!

Woo! Thanks! I used the OpenGL and dynamic texture loader options, and it dropped my RAM usage down to about 3.3 GB after launching a ship. That may change as I get bigger ships, but hopefully, by the time I'm making giant motherships, 1.1 will have come out.

fyi, i know people will jump all over me for this, but using the 64 bit unity libraries is MORE stable than 32 bit (at least on my system).
if you're looking to run 64 bit, you need to download and install the version of unity what your ksp version uses, rename the KSP executable (or delete it). then go to the unity players, 64 bit players, and copy the 64 bit player to your ksp folder and rename it "KSP" then you have to copy the mono libraries and replace the 32 bit ones with 64 bit.

for more information...

this is the method i used, and it' superb. my ram goes as high as 13gb used with no lag and close to max graphics. if you have a Nvidia card i suggest you download and use the recommended graphics settings for KSP, it will greatly improve your performance in 64 bit.

Keep in mind mods like FAR and Joint Reinforcement WILL NOT work in x64 unless you use a hack to change the libraries of the mods. there is a tool do do so, message me if you want it. (posting it might get be in trouble)

On 3/24/2016 at 0:16 AM, Ninjadude501Alt said:

I was curious if there are any 64-bit hacks/workarounds, and how stable they are.

Yes, there is....
Its called Linux.... And its VERY stable... :D

On 3/24/2016 at 3:36 AM, StarStreak2109 said:

After six to twelve scene changes I usually reload the game, because the memory keeps leaking towards that barrier of 3.7ish gigs.

You can try Malah's QuickGoTo to see if that helps prolong gameplay time... At the very least, you will only have to sit thru ONE scene change, instead of TWO everytime you want to switch...

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Yes, there is....
Its called Linux.... And its VERY stable... :D

You can try Malah's QuickGoTo to see if that helps prolong gameplay time... At the very least, you will only have to sit thru ONE scene change, instead of TWO everytime you want to switch...

HA HA HA NO.
as an Ubuntu user I can personally vouch for how bad Linux can be with KSP; not because of the game, but because of ubuntu's processor recognition and Nvidia's graphics drivers. (the ubuntu dist ones are horrible.)
If you have a Nvidia card and an intell processor (75% chance you do), i  HIGHLY suggest you run windows 64 bit hack. if you have a Radeon card, an AMD processor and want to get into linux, go for it.

As for stability, the ONLY bug's i've ever ran into in 64 bit windows have been HUD glitches, which haven't interfered with my mission-play. 32 bit near won't work on my PC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.