OSIRIS-REx Asteroid Sample Return

27 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

yup, just trying to get orbital parameters right....pain in the ass to find it all

are you able to change rotation? If so here is the speed:  Obliquity (with respect to the orbit plane of Bennu) • Defined as the angle of the rotation axis of Bennu with respect to the orbit plane of Bennu. The angle with respect to the Ecliptic is 178°. • Source: Mike Nolan – Nolan et al. (2013) Obl = 176 ± 2° (1-sigma uncertainty) sorry if to long  here's the direction of rotation:   Direction of Rotation • Defined as the direction of rotation about the rotation axis of Bennu. • Source: Mike Nolan – Nolan et al. (2013) Dir of Rot = Retrograde sorry if you already knew this :/ ( If you want to add it )

Edited by Kandjk

11 hours ago, IonStorm said:
32 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

yup, just trying to get orbital parameters right....pain in the ass to find it all

Super glad someone competent is looking at this. Spent a few hours mucking about, but the orbital stuff was still a bit off I think. I also tried to overlay some of the images on the surface to get a height map accurate (there's a boulder-like lump in the southern hemisphere), but I turned it into a spiky mess.  

Would be cool to have an accurate RSS planet, and also the possibility of a stock config. 

Also, help I'm trapped inside nested quotes and I can't get out!

Edited by Jetski

2 hours ago, Spheniscine said:

I wonder why they're doing that? I guess it compensates with gimbals or vernier thrusters or something, but what advantages does it have?

The RD180 engines on the first stage gimbal to compensate for the solid rocket booster.  The advantage is cost.  KSP is far more generous with funds than reality.

well here's a first pass at it, still basically a recolored Gilly clone for now.....think I got most things correct, however there still some tweaking to do. Drop the cfg file into your GameData folder with RSS and it should work fine, however it will change the epoch of all planets to (what i hope is) about sept 2016 so maybe don't play an existing save with it :wink:. Mass and gravity still needs to be done, and maybe a little terrain pass to get it less gilly-like. Have to leave for work so will look at it again tomorrow....maybe i shouldn't have spent my time watching tv instead lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6ix4qj368j6omw/Bennu.cfg?dl=0

Edited by KillAshley

4 minutes ago, IonStorm said:

Let me see if I can get you the synthetic asteroid model we use.  

Yeah i started making a tiny heightmap to try and get the shape right, but for now its just a mini gilly lol. I'll hopefuly have time to shape it tomorrow

12 minutes ago, IonStorm said:

Let me see if I can get you the synthetic asteroid model we use.  

Well... 7.2 second rotation so it would be really hard to land xD

Someone get the file I'm scared D:

Edited by Kandjk

Just now, KillAshley said:

just deleted the file by mistake while cleaning my dropbox account, my bad...ill reupload it tomorrow with a heightmap for the body to reflect it's actual terrain

Great! D: I wish I downloaded it!

1 minute ago, KillAshley said:

just deleted the file by mistake while cleaning my dropbox account, my bad...ill reupload it tomorrow with a heightmap for the body to reflect it's actual terrain

Select the shared folder from the pull-down menu.
  1. Sign in to the Dropbox website.
  2. Click Deleted files in the left sidebar.
  3. If the event you're looking for occurred in a shared folder, select the shared folder from the pull-down menu at the top of the page.
  4. Locate the deleted files you want to recover, hover over the event, and click the Restore button that appears. Or click on the event to see what files were deleted.

Note: Restorations can take time if there's a large number of files to restore.

3 minutes ago, Kandjk said:

Great! D: I wish I downloaded it!

Select the shared folder from the pull-down menu.
  1. Sign in to the Dropbox website.
  2. Click Deleted files in the left sidebar.
  3. If the event you're looking for occurred in a shared folder, select the shared folder from the pull-down menu at the top of the page.
  4. Locate the deleted files you want to recover, hover over the event, and click the Restore button that appears. Or click on the event to see what files were deleted.

Note: Restorations can take time if there's a large number of files to restore.

yeah i know i can restore it, but im on my phone so cbf right now.... plus when i re-upload the file tomorrow it wont be a simple Gilly clone, and will actually look like Bennu instead \o/

Just now, KillAshley said:

yeah i know i can restore it, but im on my phone so cbf right now.... plus when i re-upload the file tomorrow it wont be a simple Gilly clone, and will actually look like Bennu instead \o/

:/ okay cya

1 minute ago, KillAshley said:

Oh, quick do you know where to go to learn to make planets?

7 minutes ago, Kandjk said:

:/ okay cya

Oh, quick do you know where to go to learn to make planets?

Well kopernicus has its own examples, made by this awesome dude called KillAshley, there's also a few tutorials written in the add-on forums somewhere...plus there are numerous packs out that can be used for reference too (like in my Sig)

2 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

Well kopernicus has its own examples, made by this awesome dude called KillAshley, there's also a few tutorials written in the add-on forums somewhere...plus there are numerous packs out that can be used for reference too (like in my Sig)

Lol. Why do you think we summoned him?  Actually the RSS planet config files aren't too horrible to pick through, and can be hackingly copied and edited for various results. Pluto's high inclination helped me with understanding Bennu orbital parameters

6 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

xD

22 minutes ago, Kandjk said:

Are you able to insert the .cfg's to gamedata and it do anything?

I made one and stashed it in with the RSS Kopernicus planets in case there were pathing issues, and it worked.  Literally just duplicated pluto and mangled the orbital parameters and mass, etc. I'm obviously learning as I go, though.  Going to try a stock version today, maybe as a custom asteroid, since KillAshley is handling the RSS one with actual skills ;)

1 hour ago, Kandjk said:

Well... 7.2 second rotation so it would be really hard to land xD

Someone get the file I'm scared D:

If I'm reading the orbital properties right the rotation is more like 400 days. I think the 7.2 secs is just panning around the model

4 hours ago, Spheniscine said:

I wonder why they're doing that? I guess it compensates with gimbals or vernier thrusters or something, but what advantages does it have?

The Russian RD-180 engine has a very large gimbal range, around 10 degrees IIRC. The Atlas V was designed to be "custom made" to every one of its payloads, which is why you can choose between six fairing sizes, up to five solid rocket boosters, and one or two engines on the upper stage. The OSIRIS-REx mission only requires the use of one solid rocket booster, so it will be fitted with only one booster. All of the Atlas V booster configurations are asymmetrical. The RD-180 will gimbal to compensate for the asymmetric thrust.

15 minutes ago, Jetski said:

I made one and stashed it in with the RSS Kopernicus planets in case there were pathing issues, and it worked.  Literally just duplicated pluto and mangled the orbital parameters and mass, etc. I'm obviously learning as I go, though.  Going to try a stock version today, maybe as a custom asteroid, since KillAshley is handling the RSS one with actual skills ;)

If I'm reading the orbital properties right the rotation is more like 400 days. I think the 7.2 secs is just panning around the model

Nope orbit is probably like you said I mean rotation about its axis here is the text from the pdf:  3.1.1 Sidereal Rotation Period • Defined as the period of time for Bennu to rotate about its axis relative to the stellar reference frame. • Source: Mike Nolan and Carl Hergenrother – Nolan et al. (2013) and Hergenrother et al. (2013) P = 4.297461 ± 0.002 hours (1-sigma uncertainty)

22 minutes ago, Jetski said:

Well mine can be used for both when it's done, as conditional paths can be used for the orbit to change it based on either stock or rss.

And yeah your maths for the rotation is a little off, it's rotational period is approximately 4hrs, 17mins 

Edited by KillAshley

2 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

Well mine can be used for both when it's done, as conditional paths can be used for the orbit to change it based on either stock or rss.

And yeah your maths for the rotation is a little off, it's rotational period is approximately 4hrs, 17mins 

Ahhh thanks it said 0.002 - 0.0065 I probably misread it

Is Kopernicus compatible with ksp 1.1 pre-release?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.