steps to terminator

popeter123

The Three Laws of Robotics, prevent this obviously. It is in the mind that any AI will have this within them.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

[list type=decimal]

[li]I read an article recently by IBM relating to neural processing, and attended a lecture on the functional processing of the brain. It is here, but still heavily under research, so I certainly wouldn\'t call it done.[/li]

[li]AI: Again, it is here, but in no way as advanced as most science fiction portrayals.[/li]

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Ok where are those from? I don\'t remember and i can\'t search right now. Are they Asimov?

Mind = Blown. I seriously didn\'t know that Asimov wrote I, Robot :o

He wrote a book called I, Robot, in which he explored the possible malfunctions and logic loops that might be caused by the Three Laws, which he co-wrote with someone who claims that Asimov did all the work. Which is modest of that person. But anyway, it featured a Mercury station robot that was running in circles around a pool of something dangerous, robots that were supposed to be clearing a mine collapse but didn\'t, robots that took over a space station, and robots that were hiding from Dr.Calvin - Yes, she is a character in the book.

All because they were following the Three Laws to the letter. Evidently, they are not the perfect circle of protection.

The movie was based on the general idea of the book. Asimov didn\'t have any hand in its script.

Ouch. This is painful. Are you all really too young to know this stuff? Am I really getting this old?

Yes, Asimov wrote the classic short story collection I, Robot back in the 40s and 50s, though I\'ve never heard anything about a collaborator, as he was quite capable of writing his 400+ books all by his lonesome. The stories were so well-thought-out and influential that his 3 laws have been used by many other authors, and even actual computer scientists take them seriously. Asimov returned to his robots in several later novels, and eventually tied them into the Foundation series as part of the same future history.

Asimov didn\'t have any hand in its script.
Having been dead for 12 years at the time, I should say not. :D

Also checkout The Robots of Dawn, in which Dr. A predicts where the internet seems to being going, even though he wrote the book in 1984. On the world of Aurora, nobody leaves home and they just telepresence wherever they need to go. It\'s a locked room mystery.

He didn\'t have a collaborator on the books. It was just that he had someone to help him with the three laws. Asimov said it was that person who came up with them, and that person said it was Asimov who did most of the thinking up, and that this person was a sounding board for Asimov\'s ideas.

RedDwarfIV, is this what you\'re refering to (from Wikipedia):

Asimov attributes the Three Laws to John W. Campbell from a conversation that took place on 23 December 1940. Campbell claimed that Asimov had the Three Laws already in his mind and that they simply needed to be stated explicitly. Several years later Asimov\'s friend Randall Garrett attributed the Laws to a symbiotic partnership between the two men – a suggestion that Asimov adopted enthusiastically.

I hadn\'t remembered that. It is interesting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.