Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

I wouldn't want to accidentally hit "CABIN DEPRESS" or "DEORBIT NOW"... :o

"Cabin Depress" is the button you hit to force-shut all valves and switch the crew to suit life support in case of a detected loss of cabin pressure. It is not a button that depressurizes the cabin when pressed. :P

I assume there is an "are you sure you want to deorbit?" message that pops up...

There is not. These are hardware buttons that are meant to be usable even if (and only when) the screens fail. The Crew Dragon flies just about 100% by autopilot in nominal operations mode and has controls only as backups. It can also be fully remote controlled by the ground station.

However, there is that big "Execute Command" button above that requires a separate press after "locking in" the choice of action with the smaller buttons, which I assume light up via that white strip below the text.

Edited by Streetwind

From the "In orbit" video: "time to next delta-vee is one hour". o_O Does anyone actually use this term in this context?

Perhaps it's a way of saying "time to next burn" maybe? It does seem an odd turn of phrase, at least for someone like me who learned rocket science from KSP.

No way they're going to not fill every square centimeter in that thing, with astronauts' baggage, supplies, parachutes, etc. There's no point in making a big space and not filling it up.

With stewardesses! 8.5 cubic meters of stewardesses.

only lacks a stewardess to match the luxury.

Dragonv2 = first class

soyuz= as stowaways

The internal volume is actually the same as Soyuz, 10 cubic metres; it just looks bigger because you usually only see internal shots of Soyuz's reentry module.

That is why they have a trunk, to put all bags, then I guess they are allow it to travel with a hand bag.. to put your notebook, papers, toothbrush or make up for girls.

They already have the LED screens to watch a movie or series in the way up, but I dint see the bathroom yet, if it does not have a door, then I will never fly there.

Seriously speaking, how they move things from the trunk to the ISS?

Also not sure if spacex will design a special space suit for dragon 2 or it will use NASA spacesuits. i would not surprise if the first happens, Elon always try to move ahead and leave the old tech behind.

2 days ago he was in the stephen colbert show, the interview is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LaXSXjMxWM

They don't; it's for equipment that's meant to be attached to the outside of the station.

Also not sure if spacex will design a special space suit for dragon 2 or it will use NASA spacesuits. i would not surprise if the first happens, Elon always try to move ahead and leave the old tech behind.

They're building their own, and Boeing are commissioning a new model from legacy spacesuit builders David Clark.

That is why they have a trunk, to put all bags, then I guess they are allow it to travel with a hand bag.. to put your notebook, papers, toothbrush or make up for girls.

The trunk is for unpressurized cargo only. You can't bring stuff that's outside inside (doing an EVA to get a toothbrush would be stupid), and you can't expose most personal belongings to vacuum. Also, female astronauts don't wear makeup in space.

They already have the LED screens to watch a movie or series in the way up, but I dint see the bathroom yet, if it does not have a door, then I will never fly there.

There is no bathroom on Dragon or CST-100. They intend to do same-day docking.

They pull them out of the trunk with the Canadarm and attach them to the outside of the ISS. The trunk is only for stuff that goes outside.

Whatever they use will look a lot like the ACES suit. It's not old tech, it's what is needed to meet the requirements. The suit is needed to survive depressurization, high-G abort modes, and bail-out after a splashdown.

Whatever they use will look a lot like the ACES suit. It's not old tech, it's what is needed to meet the requirements. The suit is needed to survive depressurization, high-G abort modes, and bail-out after a splashdown.

Didn't Elon write into the contact with the designer/supplier that the suits must look "badass"?

They don't; it's for equipment that's meant to be attached to the outside of the station.

They're building their own, and Boeing are commissioning a new model from legacy spacesuit builders David Clark.

Ahh good to know. thanks.

The trunk is for unpressurized cargo only. You can't bring stuff that's outside inside (doing an EVA to get a toothbrush would be stupid), and you can't expose most personal belongings to vacuum. Also, female astronauts don't wear makeup in space.

Nibb, you are not able to understand a joke?

If the spacesuit is big and heavy, that is a problem for any emergency case, you can not move in small places or with enoght agility as those moments require.

So I imagine that the spacex suits will be light and more fit to the body.

If the spacesuit is big and heavy, that is a problem for any emergency case, you can not move in small places or with enoght agility as those moments require.

The pumpkin is pretty soft and agile already (actually, it's very soft agile for a spacesuit). It may not be very recent, but it fits perfecty for an escape and emergency suit. I suppose SpaceX's suit will be a lot similar (they are actually creating a suit currently)

Ahh good to know. thanks.

Nibb, you are not able to understand a joke?

Sorry, your voluntary joke was too well camouflaged by the unvoluntary inaccuracies.

What makes you think that you cannot move with an ACES suit? It was designed for astronauts to climb around and parachute out of the Shuttle, so movement was definitely part of the requirements.

But it has to be a full pressure suit, including gloves and helmet, to be able to handle depressurization and windblast. It also has to be fire resistant, chemical resistant, and allow floatation. The undergarment is a "Maximum Absorbency Garment" for urine retention, and has tubings for cooling fluid.

It's not easy to meet all those requirements and still be .....