Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

^ This.

Musk tweeted that the rocket was fine, but avionics was chasing an issue from the 10 minute "around the horn" check. They recommended the countdown continue and a hold at 2:00. They did not have the issue resolved at 2:45 (or thereabouts), so even if AF tracking hadn't gone offline, they almost certainly wouldn't have gone to space today.

It doesn't matter whether or not something was *actually* wrong with the vehicle. They thought there was something wrong and that would've been enough for a hold (read "scrub").

Thanks for the confirmation. New launch opportunity now set for Tuesday, Feb. 10 at 6:05 p.m. EST with a backup launch opportunity on Wednesday, Feb. 11 at 6:03 p.m.

Dang-it, it was pushed back to Tuesday! During my astronomy class, no less! Maybe I can get the teacher to show the launch on the planetarium. :o

(I know that's not how it works, you need special film to make the picture appear correctly)

But yeah, my astronomy class is taught inside of a planetarium. :)

Its actually not the best, the acoustics are all weird, and the seats lean way too far back to be good for note taking.

From the latest NASA press release about the upcoming DSCOVR launch on Tuesday (for what it is worth):

Following a launch scrub on Sunday, officials from NOAA, the U.S. Air Force and NASA chose Feb. 10 for the next launch attempt because of more favorable weather forecasts for Tuesday and Wednesday compared to Monday. While it is not required for flight, SpaceX will leverage the extra time to replace a video transmitter on the first stage in advance of the next attempt.

For the first attempt back in January, it was said (on the pre-launch stream I believe) that if successful, they were hoping to patch a replay of the event into the stream before coverage ended.

Well unfortunately, it wasn't successful. But there's a chance (not a guarantee, but a chance) that if this one is successful, they will do this.

Other than that, yeah. Stalk Elon Musk on Twitter, and expect him to parade the video of a success around like a gorilla banging his chest as soon as it is available in any even remotely web-compatible format. :P

I'll just post this, from the reddit post by Iron-Oxide transcribing key points of the presser http://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/2uuskl/rspacex_dscovr_official_launch_discussion_updates/

To get information about landing: it might take a couple of hours to sort things out, Han's guesses information will be available next morning.

• No live video of first stage landing on barge again, since it's over the horizon.

Ran out of hydraulic fluid shortly after landing burn started last time

Landing burn goes from "low hundreds" of meters per second, to a few meters per second.

So they landed the booster with the last ~20-50 seconds (assume at least 5m/s decell, from 250m/s) without grid-fin control. That's pretty impressive.

UPPER LEVEL WINDS CURRENTLY RED. Final weather balloon data evaluation at T-13 minutes.

Details: Maximum upper-level winds today are forecast to be from the northwest at 90 knots near 30,000 feet.

Edited by Frida Space

Details: Maximum upper-level winds today are forecast to be from the northwest at 90 knots near 30,000 feet.

For anyone who's interested in still more details, here's a section of the Environment Canada upper level (250 hPa level) wind analysis chart from 1200 UTC today (Source: 250 hPa: Geopotential height, wind velocity):

cGh6mwy.gif

If all goes as planned, SpaceX will have completed all parts of a mission in less then 12hrs... Launching a Falcon9, returning lower stages of Falcon 9, and returning Dragon.

Anyone have another weather update? Can they launch in current conditions?