Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

On what page? Twitter, Spaceflight Now, NASA TV and SpaceX do not show any new information (except for imminent second stage relight).

Update:

Just heard confirmation on good second stage ignition and burn.

He was referencing the flight log in KSP. It's a joke you see :D

We are experiencing just such weather in the Atlantic with waves reaching up to three stories in height crashing over the decks. Also, only three of the drone ship’s four engines are functioning, making station-keeping in the face of such wave action extremely difficult. The rocket will still attempt a soft landing in the water through the storm (producing valuable landing data), but survival is highly unlikely.

I think that sums up why they weren't attempting a soft-landing pretty well. :D

Regards,

Northstar

From SpaceFlightNow.com:

2336 GMT (6:36 p.m. EST)

SpaceX confirms a good second burn of the Falcon 9's upper stage. Separation of DSCOVR coming up at 6:38 p.m. EST (2338 GMT).

The rocket achieved an orbit toward the L1 Lagrange point with an apogee of 1,371,156 kilometers, a perigee of 187 kilometers and an inclination of 37 degrees.

Ok, so, the F9 second stage is now free of the payload. I wonder if there's enough propellant (and ignitor fluid) left for one last burn to drop the Pe back into the soup to dispose of the stage? Don't want to clutter up space with debris, after all.

Why till April? The next Falcon 9 launch is scheduled for February 27th.

He's on about the next landing attempt. The next two have payloads that are too heavy, and the one after is going into polar orbit and thus the wrong direction.

Ok, so, the F9 second stage is now free of the payload. I wonder if there's enough propellant (and ignitor fluid) left for one last burn to drop the Pe back into the soup to dispose of the stage? Don't want to clutter up space with debris, after all.

A 187 km high perigee should already be low enough to bring it down eventually. That's roughly 225 km lower than the ISS and even the ISS will come down eventually if they don't raise its orbit periodically.

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed the 1.37 million km apogee... With that in mind, I suspect that the second stage will just end up in solar orbit. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm?

Edited by PakledHostage

If the moon doesn't interfere, the upper stage will burn up in the atmosphere eventually. With an inclination of 37° I don't think the moon can do much.

Also I don't believe it will enter a solar orbit. If there's an apogee it will come back to Earth. For example the ISS orbits in 400 km above ground and loses 50 to 150 meters per day. The lifetime of an object in 400 km is about one year.

Bear in mind the ISS is large and not very dense, so it has pretty high drag, especially with all those solar arrays and radiators. I wonder how the deceleration due to drag compares between the ISS and the second stage, which would also have a pretty low density when empty (but no arrays sticking out), and which wouldn't spend much time below 400km.

Also, each pass at perigee is lowering the apogee, so it would take a lot of orbits before the orbit (perigee) starts to seriously decay. So that's a very long eventually.

What is all the white smoke coming out of the bottom of the launchpad, before the actual launch?

I understand there's smoke that keeps puffing from the rocket until T-0 due to liquid oxygen - from the top of the rocket/second stage, though.

If the moon doesn't interfere, the upper stage will burn up in the atmosphere eventually. With an inclination of 37° I don't think the moon can do much.

I thought I read that today was the last day that they could launch before the Moon's gravitational influence would have affected DSCOVR's delta-V budget beyond allowables? Presumably that means that the Moon does occasionally get close enough to the second stage's orbit to affect it significantly?