Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

7 minutes ago, KerBlammo said:

The video froze just as reflection of the engine flame appeared in the lens.  The barge was moving a lot, it has to be nearly impossible to land a rocket on that.

I thought they said on the webcast that it was from the landing lights on the barge turning on. 

Twitter reports hard landing and broken landing leg. 

EDIT: Apparently I'm a tad slow posting updates with my phone. Oh well, I hope they can learn from this and improve their landing procedure (landing burn, landing legs, etc...) 

Edited by VirtualCLD

8 minutes ago, VirtualCLD said:

I thought they said on the webcast that it was from the landing lights on the barge turning on. 

I was on the "rocket only" feed.  The timing was right for it being the rocket exhaust, it seemed to be getting brighter for the short time it was visible.  It looked to me that the camera was vibrating at the same time.

Either the exhaust plume blew the antenna away as the stage made its final approach or its another RUD.  Landing a rocket on something heaving around on the waves like that has to be nearly impossible, they need a bigger boat like an oil platform or something.

Edited by KerBlammo

:( 

Oh well - they've shown they can do it when the ground isn't inconveniently bucking up and down under them. Wonder how much they can reinforce the legs before they get too heavy - and whether it would make enough difference to be worth it?

Fingers crossed for 2nd stage relight!

1 minute ago, Hcube said:

Dang it ! missed the launch by 10 minutes, and the stream froze during the landing. ARGH

The launch before my internet connection was down for half an hour from 2 minutes before start on. I feel with you.

But be patient. Landing video is expected to be available in some hours.

Someone said waves of 3 m before, but in the video they look as 6 m.
In my opinion, the droneship needs to be bigger and with huge gyroscopes, that sea location has always high winds, it is possible to achieve that if they keep trying.. but not with a good rate of success.

But well, official mission seems a success. congrats.

Edited by AngelLestat

One thing I'm a little sad about, they were explaining that this will be the last time they let us hear the go/no go chant. They explained that it had to do with the newer more chilled fuel they are using. If I had to guess, this means that some info about the preparations they have to go through to use that fuel are import/export controlled, and thus they are not allowed to speak of them in a public way. :(

What if the drone ship was fitted with rockets on the four corners -- so that it could make contact above the waves and compensate for the wind in the same way the landing rocket does?

^^^ this is the best idea I've ever had.