Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

On the same day ULA is announcing their new rocket. :sticktongue:

Bah, when SpaceX sticks the landing, its going to get 5x the coverage that ULA would have gotten. Perhaps even some of the public press will mention it!

Why doesn't the Falcon Heavy use a larger 2nd stage, does anyone know? I mean, I only know rocketry from KSP, but it seems to me that with all that extra thrust in the beginning, the rocket will be very high and going very fast when the central core of the first stage drops away, making reusability more difficult. But maybe that is intentional, for practice? Theories?

The F9 is continually evolving, and the F9H hasn't even flown yet. It's entirely possible they'll stretch the second stage tanks for the F9H some time down the road. For now they just want to fly that bird and see how it performs with known components.

The F9 is continually evolving, and the F9H hasn't even flown yet. It's entirely possible they'll stretch the second stage tanks for the F9H some time down the road. For now they just want to fly that bird and see how it performs with known components.

They've announced that they plan to stretch the second stage by 10% to go with the greater thrust of the improved Merlin.

Wouldn't a standardized core, with a fairly sized array of similar but different possible upperstages be fairly cost effective...?

Like what they did with Thor and Atlas. You had the Atlas-Agena, Atlas-Able, Atlas-Centaur, etc. And the Thor had Able, Agena, and Delta added on. Not to mention that adding some boosters could give you a bigger upperstage...

Wouldn't a standardized core, with a fairly sized array of similar but different possible upperstages be fairly cost effective...?

Like what they did with Thor and Atlas. You had the Atlas-Agena, Atlas-Able, Atlas-Centaur, etc. And the Thor had Able, Agena, and Delta added on. Not to mention that adding some boosters could give you a bigger upperstage...

One of the main ways SpaceX lowers cost is the standardisation of everything and using the fewest variations of things possible. You take that away of their launch prices would go right up. Making lots of different upper stages would be detrimental overall.

They aim for lowest cost, not highest performance.

One of the main ways SpaceX lowers cost is the standardisation of everything and using the fewest variations of things possible. You take that away of their launch prices would go right up. Making lots of different upper stages would be detrimental overall.

They aim for lowest cost, not highest performance.

The idea being that the core is common, but the family of vehicles would have a large range of payloads.

(Not to mention that Delta II, a successor to Thor, is fairly cost-effective...)

SpaceX posted a basic graphic on their FB showing how the first stage comes back to ASDS.

8/10th of the comments were along the lines of "It works in KSP!" "Crazy enough for a Kerbal!" "Is Jeb piloting it?"

Well done KSP community :D

SpaceX posted a basic graphic on their FB showing how the first stage comes back to ASDS.

8/10th of the comments were along the lines of "It works in KSP!" "Crazy enough for a Kerbal!" "Is Jeb piloting it?"

Well done KSP community :D

Here's the graphic, from Twitter.

Actually I think I prefer the old one, the new one looks more aggressive.

What, like Musk wants to punch the daylights out of the atmosphere and Space-Core all the way to Mars? I don't think they're being aggressive enough against space and the atmosphere.