Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Well that sucks, do they know what caused it or are they still looking into it?

EDIT: It definitely started at the top. Looks like the second stage or something.

0NSWS.jpg

Edited by tygoo7

SpaceX are a company that launches rockets, not the bloody second coming. Quite a few people on the internet seem to have difficulty making that distinction.

The point is that with this failure, congress is almost certainly going to reduce funding for commercial crew and use it as an excuse to stick with the status quo instead of the guys who can probably change things for the better.

I knew something was fishy, first time in a while SpaceX launched on first try, without delays, and also carrying heaviest trunk payload yet.

If Nova's theory proves to be correct, they can out all the blame on the adapter and not on the rocket itself.

No, they've launched without delays before.

Yeah, the failures are part of the learning proccess. Gotta find all the failures (or try to) before you go manned, and a manned disaster will likely affect SpaceX even more than any of NASAs or Roscosmos (and it's predescessors) ever did.

A gif with previous pictures, overlaid for the rocket to match the position in the frame.

The center of the cloud definitely appears to come from the top parts, and there is some flame.

http://i.imgur.com/mR7S7yK.gif

Flame isnt coming from the leak, it's re-igniting the main engine exaust around the edges. O2 tank failure?

The point is that with this failure, congress is almost certainly going to reduce funding for commercial crew and use it as an excuse to stick with the status quo instead of the guys who can probably change things for the better.

But this is SpaceX, the company those very same internet people say is the paragon of the free market in all it's glory. Surely they don't require government funding?

(In all seriousness most of their income is likely to be from commercial GTO launches soon anyway. If they mean what they say, this really isn't a big issue.)

dont worry for ISS's astronauts! there will another spacecraft resupply the ISS THE 3th of July. (Pogress Rocket)

That's what they said about this Dragon flight when the last Progress failed to reach orbit. But yeah. Hopefully, we won't see two Progress failures in a row.

Well there goes the idea of cheap space travel, it's over. ULA wins, SLS wins, humanity will remain trapped on this rock until civilization collapses or technological singularity, and then the only things leaving the planet won't be humans.

The absolute worst this can delay "Humanity" is one or two decades. (And that is assuming SpaceX and commercial involvement in NASA collapses completely) However in the grand scheme of things. We are still going to be able to get off this rock. Just a tiny bit longer than we had hoped.

Technology moves forward. Eventually the good ole rocket will be hopelessly outdated.

The absolute worst this can delay "Humanity" is one or two decades. (And that is assuming SpaceX and commercial involvement in NASA collapses completely) However in the grand scheme of things. We are still going to be able to get off this rock. Just a tiny bit longer than we had hoped.

Technology moves forward. Eventually the good ole rocket will be hopelessly outdated.

Yeah, someday, just someday, we will have a method of launch that doesn't require literally lighting a roman candle under you.

Hopefully this doesn't set things back too much. I suppose it depends on what caused the explosion, if it was something in Dragon, then the rocket's fine.

Such a bummer, but well, they'll learn from this.

Well, I was going to post a thread about patents related to reentry technology and was going to name it "Going down in flame" but now it doesn't seem appropriate.

How about 'descending through plasma'?

That's what they said about this Dragon flight when the last Progress failed to reach orbit. But yeah. Hopefully, we won't see two Progress failures in a row.

Progress alone was never enough to keep the station supplied. Progress will merely delay decrewing if they can't rapidly fix dragon.

It is interesting tho. Because of the dire situation of supplies onboard the station. I can theoretically see NASA approving an emergency launch of an already flown dragon. Congress would approve it over leaving the multi billion dollar station unmanned.

But this is SpaceX, the company those very same internet people say is the paragon of the free market in all it's glory. Surely they don't require government funding?

(In all seriousness most of their income is likely to be from commercial GTO launches soon anyway. If they mean what they say, this really isn't a big issue.)

I think your arguing for something else, benjee10 is implying is this is the end of the idea of cheap commercial space travel, and considering it has been 40+ years since we have gone beyond low earth orbit, government space is no future.

They probably don't, but it was certainly accelerating things (I can't imagine a company developing a crew capsule purely in their spare time on the off-chance that someone wants to buy a trip to space), and now their reputation has certainly taken a hit. If I were someone with a delicate satellite I wanted launching I wouldn't be knocking on SpaceX's door to do it after they've broadcast their launch failure live to thousands of people on the internet. Sure failure is a part of the learning process and all that but public opinion and the numbskulls at congress are going to be against them. If NASA sticks by them and they continue to receive funding then they may have a chance, but this sort of failure could cost them very dearly. I'm sure Boeing won't be too happy about their docking adapter being blown up by a rival company.

AngelLestat,

This is not an agency, this is a company, when companies fail they die.

SpaceX has really good track record, one explosion isn't going to ruin everything. They'll find the problem, fix it, and fly again. They have plenty of money and time.

Worst case scenario would be if they don't find out what caused the explosion. That would be bad.