Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Targeted 12:30 press conference, perhaps some good data then? :(

Also, that's no 'shadow'. It starts above the Falcon engines. Dragon got out of there somehow, weather it deployed chutes to 'survive' is the question. Whatever was in the trunk is certainly just so much trash now, however.

Edited by Wingman703

I do have to wonder about the odds.

First Russia loses their resupply then the very next run Space X has a failure.

I am not one for conspiracy / sabotage but like I said what are the odds.

I do have to wonder about the odds.

First loses there resupply then the very next run Space X has a failure.

I am not one for conspiracy but like I said what are the odds.

Well the Russians do want to leave the ISS

Woof. Heartbreaking, in any case. I never like seeing a launch go like this. :(

Hope we can learn as much as possible from it. My thoughts go to the engineers, designers, and workmen that design and create these wonders.

Elon Musk is having a hard time getting used to the new aerodynamics patch too.

This is why NASA should have kept some sort of orbit capable spacecraft for emergencies.

Reviewing footage with my "armchair flight director" hat on, It looks like something went bad on the second stage. First stage engines were burning, then white cloud, then what LOOKS like Dragon 'aborting'(AKA, falling off? Deff a Dragon-looking piece of debris). Continued burn of first stage, then an 'explosion'.

That was my Layman's conclusion as well. Perhaps the second stage tried to ignite too early?

- - - Updated - - -

Targeted 12:30 press conference, perhaps some good data then? :(

Also, that's no 'shadow'. It starts above the Falcon engines. Dragon got out of there somehow, weather it deployed chutes to 'survive' is the question. Whatever was in the trunk is certainly just so much trash now, however.

I think, first time around, while I was watching the stream, I saw what seemed to be a parachute deploying on a small white dot. It may just be my imagination though.

@Subzerpspartan7 I was saying all around not just with falcon 9. Also didn't falcon 9 crash on the sea landing thing?

Yes, but it successfully put its payload into orbit so you count that as a success.

It looks like a tankage failure for sure. You can see how the engines keep firing. Also, it happened at the top of the vehicle, but the LOX tank is above IIRC, so it could still be the first stage blowing it's top off, or the second stage having a critical failure... maybe during engine chill and tank pressurization prior to the staging event?

Rune. Note: take everything with a mountain of salt, this is armchair engineering.

I was half expecting some kind of warning when the rocket blew up, like some kind of danger escalation. But nope. It just flatly blow up without a warning, too fast to even utter a swear word, then it is gone. I guess hollywood does left me with some unrealistic expectation about those situations.

It was the eerie silence of the broadcast after it happened that got me.

Wouldn't we have seen a second of fire before the smoke then?

Yup, if it was the second stage then it was the tank blowing up for sure... no flames! Looked like LOX too, the way it expanded.

Rune. Pressure can create nice explosions.

Well there goes the idea of cheap space travel, it's over. ULA wins, SLS wins, humanity will remain trapped on this rock until civilization collapses or technological singularity, and then the only things leaving the planet won't be humans.

Well there goes the idea of cheap space travel, it's over. ULA wins, SLS wins, humanity will remain trapped on this rock until civilization collapses or technological singularity, and then the only things leaving the planet won't be humans.

With that mindset we will. SpaceX will recover. And continue to do great things.

I have to admit with the others anyway - certainly not about Merlins, they kept firing. Maybe decouplers, maybe bad glitch then early timing and then RUD. I'm pretty sure the force that destroy them must be from range safety and not the failure...