How not to overshoot

Hi,

I\'m just discovered KSP and was hooked from the beginning. Orbitting Kerbal is now easily done, but I have trouble hitting the Mun.

KLm5ql.jpg

BJHd9l.jpg

Both ways happened a lot, but I can\'t nagivate my shuttle to counter it. Any help?

If you want to just hit the Mun, start slowing down as soon as you enter the Munar SOI. That\'s where it\'s easiest to pull your periapsis below the Munar surface.

On a first Munar Landing, though, I\'d wait until I hit periapsis, and then slow down to put my spacecraft into a low Munar orbit. I\'d then hit F5 to Quicksave, relax, take a few deep breaths, maybe get a drink, then come back and plan out a landing.

Then, after I failed to land correctly, I\'d hold F9, reload the quicksave, and try again.

Well, first I would like to orbit the mun, not just hitting it ;)

Point and burn retrograde (opposite to the direction of flight) once you are in the body's sphere of influence (SOI).

You want to do that as close as possible to perigee, but before you actually reach it. How much before you have to start the orbit insertion burn depends on how much thrust vs. mass your rocket has... experiment ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=26560&d=0

Edited by Corax
fixed vB breakage

The main key to burning retrograde like shown is to use your gymbal or visual clues in space. The gymbal is the most accurate since the two green marks are respective to direction of travel. The empty circle with perpendicular lines is direction of travel, the 'Y' out green circle is direction you are coming from. Point to that for your breaking burn.

To acheive orbit, always condsider that your breaking location is where your new apoapsis will start to form. So to capture a specific orbit, break until the apoapsis is an altitude you want, then stop breaking until apoapsis. When close to apo, do your full orbital breaking maneuver.

Point and burn retrograde (opposite to the direction of flight) once you are in the body\'s sphere of influence (SOI).

You want to do that as close as possible to perigee, but before you actually reach it. How much before you have to start the orbit insertion burn depends on how much thrust vs. mass your rocket has... experiment ;)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15366.0;attach=24966

EDIT: oops, a few bits were missing from the image

Excellent diagram there.

And yes, Muk, in order for maximum efficiency you will need to burn backwards (a retrograde) at the periapsis/perigee.

Basically once your on that slingshot trajectory, point your ship until you find the green circle with the lines inside of it and then thrust until you get an orbit. Dont point your ship towards the green circle with nothing in it.

What I do is I take my rocket, point it towards the vehicle assembly center at EXACTLY 270 degreese once I reach 500 meter per second, then I go in orbital map, and have throttle at 0% to 5% untill my encouter will pull me to the mun fast enough that