Locked parts in career?

I started a new career mode, unmodded.  I built a rocket that can make its way into orbit, finished that contract, brought the rocket back with some science.  Nice textbook splashdown.  Went to use the same rocket for another contract, and I can't because it says there are locked or invalid parts.  I just got done flying this rocket in the same career mode, and have made no changes or added mods, or even restarted the game.  I splashed down, recovered vessel, went back to VAB to re-launch and can't.  I googled this and I see a lot of questions about it, where the answer is just that they haven't unlocked the parts yet.  That's not my case.  I have used the parts for many launches and contracts before.  Alt+f2 has no errors regarding the rocket, and lists no parts missing or anything.  What is going on here?  It can't possibly have just magically spawned new invalid parts after it hit the ocean.

Edit:  I restarted the game, and having the same trouble.  Note:  I can build an exact replica of that rocket with the pieces I have unlocked, so I have no clue why it keeps locking my rockets. 

Edited by thewayshemoves

Have you actually unlocked the tech tree node, or was the part provided as a "test this part" contract?

If the part was given as a "test this part" contract, then you were given it until you completed said contract, at which point the part was removed.

You need to actually unlock the node that the part resides in if you want to use it.

1 hour ago, Mjp1050 said:

Have you actually unlocked the tech tree node, or was the part provided as a "test this part" contract?

If the part was given as a "test this part" contract, then you were given it until you completed said contract, at which point the part was removed.

You need to actually unlock the node that the part resides in if you want to use it.

Ah!  I bet that's what happened.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Alternatively, if you just wanted to test the part and don't need it anymore, just remove it from your ship before re-launching.

How can I remove it if I can't load the ship?  I'd love to be able to do that.  I think it may have been a booster along the lines of what Mjp1050 said, but I'm not sure how to load it now since I'm locked out.

30 minutes ago, thewayshemoves said:

How can I remove it if I can't load the ship?  I'd love to be able to do that.  I think it may have been a booster along the lines of what Mjp1050 said, but I'm not sure how to load it now since I'm locked out.

You can load any ship in the VAB, at least I can. You just can't launch them. Let me test in 1.1, I'm not sure if I've actually tried it there but in 1.0.5 it always worked.

EDIT: Yup, just tried it and it loads fine. I can't launch, but I can edit it and re-save.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.