Increase the Thermometer burnup temperature

Suggestion: I suggest you increase the destruction temperature of the science thermometer.

Reason: There doesn't seem to be a stock way to track part temperature during flight, burn, re-entry, etc.  The science thermometer would be a decent tool for this (especially now that you can pin those windows) if it didn't burn up at the temperatures of interest.  

Consequences: I think this would fit the stock game well.  Science devices should be fragile, but real-life temperature sensors can withstand incredible heat, and the kerbal temp. sensor feels like kind of an early-game, beat-em-up type part anyway.  

• 6 months later...

Is anybody else interested?  I feel strongly that this should be a part of the base game, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.  The total work involved is 1 line of code for module manager so perhaps I can make this into a mod.  Would that interest anyone?

Does anybody have a 30 second guide on how to publish a mod?  Seems like I need to put in on Curse, CKAN, and now I need some kind of user license?  

While I do think thermometers should have a higher heat tolerance, they're not the only stock method of determining temperature. 

Alt+F12 menu --> Physics --> Thermal --> Display Thermal Data in Action Menus

Voilà! Now when you right click on a part you will get details on its skin and internal temperatures, and the various fluxes. 

I agree with this, such a minor thing and yet it would make a major difference since you could actually measure the temp of the nose of the aircraft as its plowing through atmo.  Who knows, we might even be able to make thermometer heat shields someday (yeah i know its cheap but it sure beats antenna abuse)...

12 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

The regular thermometer has colliders. Why wouldn't the smaller version?

I dont know. Because of Squad? The regular thermometers didnt have colliders for a pretty long time. And when they finally got them the part became very relevant for the construction of hinges and all kinds of stuff.

Edited by Dafni

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.