Turbo Charged Update

Pecan

"To celebrate the Turbo Charged Update, Squad is offering 40% off Kerbal Space Program. "

What's the Steam deal talking about?  Yes, 1.1 is coming but the last update listed on the store page is from November,

Yup, gonna be "in a bit"TM I think.

Which is a balance between "We gotta release it NOW" from the marketing types and "there are dozens of outstanding bugs" from the techie guys at Squad. 

Update: Just spotted that there is an update on Steam planned for about 50 mins time.

Edited by Foxster

5 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Which is a balance between "We gotta release it NOW" from the marketing types and "there are dozens of outstanding bugs" from the techie guys at Squad. 

I fear for this balance.  Didn't Squad spawn from a marketing firm?  Won't they be strong in the dark side of the force?  Always two there are...

7 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Yup, gonna be "in a bit"TM I think.

Update: Just spotted that there is an update on Steam planned for about 50 mins time.

Yes.  My fingers are crossed that we STORE customers will also get the release, but I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with some reason that the store cannot be updated.

Edited by Sandworm

2 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Umm, just got the release and it is another pre-release build. Another release expected soon or?

There was a release earlier this morning, mostly to fix a rather bad bug.

7 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

I fear for this balance.  Didn't Squad spawn from a marketing firm?  Won't they be strong in the dark side of the force?  Always two there are...

Yeah, it feels like they are falling into the 'MUST MEET DEADLINE!' trap.

They probably also feel like they're under pressure from the community to get this released.

3 minutes ago, smjjames said:

They probably also feel like they're under pressure from the community to get this released.

I'd rather wait another 2 weeks.

I want quality over quantity.

3 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Lol.  A game developer who goes five+ months between updates isn't one too concerned about deadlines.

1 minute ago, TimePeriod said:

Same here, and they really do need to give the fonts a once-over. It just looks really bad for them when compared with mods which have crystal clear text.

4 minutes ago, smjjames said:

IT'S A TRAP!!!

*ahem*

Anyhow, I hope they don't feel that pressure from me.  The only thing I wanted was a bit faster pace on the build releases - smaller, incremental tests are often more effective at getting stuff done (the ONLY thing agile development gets right).  I'd much rather see it purr through a few weeks of PR (as buggy and mod-unfriendly as that is) to a clean release than do the emergency patch dance.

14 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Umm, just got the release and it is another pre-release build. Another release expected soon or?

Er, you'll probably have to opt out of the beta..right?

4 minutes ago, TimePeriod said:

Sure, but they also have a manager that puts them deadlines, the industry works like that, even in "indy" studios. The money they use to develop the game does not rain from the sky, and the % they get for each copy sold is very low :) The picture of people sitting on a mountain of gold and developing their game when they want to is completely wrong. They have to sell more copies and meet expectations from their manager.

2 minutes ago, Renegrade said:

IT'S A TRAP!!!

*ahem*

Anyhow, I hope they don't feel that pressure from me.  The only thing I wanted was a bit faster pace on the build releases - smaller, incremental tests are often more effective at getting stuff done (the ONLY thing agile development gets right).  I'd much rather see it purr through a few weeks of PR (as buggy and mod-unfriendly as that is) to a clean release than do the emergency patch dance.

Er, you'll probably have to opt out of the beta..right?

Pretty sure it's just the 1228 they released earlier.

5 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Never assume that you have the latest build. That's how people got in trouble in 1.0.5 despite a forum post telling them to update. :P

So...if the "official" 1.1 is being released, do those of us on the beta release need to do something?