Spore

RangerDanger75

Spore would have been a great game if it had been built true to Will Wright's vision. Instead, the publisher had Maxis dumb it down because they thought it would be too complicated for the average moron they wanted to target.

What it ended up is a very watered down piece of junk. I too bought at release given the promise of some real sandbox action. What I got was far less than I expected. For $5 you will probably get your money's worth for a dozen or so hours of gameplay. But once you get to the end game you will really see how mindless it is and get bored and ultimately uninstall it never to play this waste of time again.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

(as a user not a mod)

(not a rant just calmly saying what I felt)

I was stoked when I saw the Beta videos of spore! But I knew it was to good to be true and I felt most of the tech demo would be a lie.

The final product is exactly what I expected: at the last minute they lowered the target age group by like 10 years to try to target everyone. (they cut out blood)

At the time you would require a good rig to play it so that limits the number of low age targets.

Instead of no limits and no missions

we got lots of limits and forced missions

It just became a last minute fiasco trying to fulfill the promises they just didn't have.

'play with other peoples creations'

By this they mean the game will replace scripted npc's model with someones else's creation

creature mode doesn't feel real because every species stays within a 10 foot ring around their nest.

Your species always migrates, or trys to migrate with missions.

The game looks to good to be true

But making 5 games in one comes with penalties

lowering the age group comes with penalties

Using other people creations comes with penalties (penis monsters)

IMO if the beta was released I would still be playing it, but in its current state

Im not the target audience of a ten year old so I feel alienated

Spore is a good game, but EA dumbed it down, not maxis. EA is not a very good company like Valve or Bethesda. I was very excited when i first heard of spore, but was let down. It's still a good, creative game. But i would most likely would have loved it more if it stayed true to its original design. :'(

Heh, when I first made my rocket on KSP, I was reminded of the Spore creator. But anyway, the game was fun (For a few hours), but it was too watered down. I mean, they got rid of the ocean stage! It was one of the most anticipated stages right when people saw it in one of the demo vids. If it had been made the way as it was supposed to be, I bet the game would have been amazing.

Spore is a good game, but EA dumbed it down, not maxis. EA is not a very good company like Valve or Bethesda. I was very excited when i first heard of spore, but was let down. It's still a good, creative game. But i would most likely would have loved it more if it stayed true to its original design. :'(

Maxis, being the development company, dumbed it down at the request of EA. (Evil Assholes)

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

EA is not a very good company like Bethesda.

Must... not... rant....!! >:(

I'll just say this: If you think EA did a number on Spore, take a good hard look at what's happened to the Elder Scrolls series over the years.

*Puts hands up* I got the Galactic Edition. And the Prima Game Guide. and the galactic edition includes 'The Art Of Spore' which shows some of the early iterations of the creature and vehicle creators, and they look good, better and more powerful than the one we got. On the front of the cd case, it says 'everything you need to biuld your very own universe.' It is anything but, you don't build your own universe, you simply play in one. There's a very limited number of 'planets' aka: the layout of continents, and your starting position is always the same on each layout, so there is a very limited number of scenarios. If the game was anything like some of the adverts and promotional pictures, it would have been great, I was really hyped when I got it, but then, a few days later I was like 'Is this it?'. I even got the Creepy & Cute Parts Pack and Spore: Galactic Adventures expansion in a desperate hope that is would get better.

It didn't.

Like everybody before me, I feel that Spore was really dumbed down and could have been better. I bought it post-launch, and for the price I got it at I think it's worth it. Although the game is lacking in many things and could have been 1,000,000x better, I still think it's pretty good, and if you buy it for $20-$30, you'll still get your money's worth out of it. I also think the Galactic Adventures expansion is worth it, too, because it adds to the 2 inches of water at the bottom of a 50 foot well that was supposed to be full of awesomeness that is called Spore.

*Puts hands up* I got the Galactic Edition. And the Prima Game Guide. and the galactic edition includes 'The Art Of Spore' which shows some of the early iterations of the creature and vehicle creators, and they look good, better and more powerful than the one we got. On the front of the cd case, it says 'everything you need to biuld your very own universe.' It is anything but, you don't build your own universe, you simply play in one. There's a very limited number of 'planets' aka: the layout of continents, and your starting position is always the same on each layout, so there is a very limited number of scenarios. If the game was anything like some of the adverts and promotional pictures, it would have been great, I was really hyped when I got it, but then, a few days later I was like 'Is this it?'. I even got the Creepy & Cute Parts Pack and Spore: Galactic Adventures expansion in a desperate hope that is would get better.

It didn't.

Oh, so I did the right thing by not caving and getting Galactic Adventures in a hope (much like you) of injecting something further back into the game?

Spore became 'The Sims in Space.' Probably the most succinct way to describe what it's like to someone.

It was fun for playing once heck I even skipped the space stage seen as most fun by some. I really hated dragging spice every where and being annoyed while doing it, mainly by the odd controls. So I sort of missed most of the terra-forming.

So yeah buy it when its really cheap but don't expect to play it more than once.

I may have overreacted (several times), but after seeing the demo videos, I was so exited that I literally ran down to the nearest bus stop, took it, and arrived at FutureShop right as it was opening, just to buy Spore. I got the galactic edition, and excitement was had. I noticed that the pictures inside were a little cartoonish, but I thought that was avoidable, and I could have made neat creatures too. I got home, threw the CD in, installed, began to play, and within a few hours had beaten everything up to about halfway through the space stage. I then promptly ejected the disc, calmly placed it back into it's case, and opened the window.

And then I threw the fucking thing out a second story window into the ditch on the other side of the road.

Fuck. That. Shit. 'Twas the second biggest waste of money I have ever come across (the other being WoW), and this one I didn't even enjoy. Ah well. I made some neat spaceships, but that's about it.

I may have overreacted (several times), but after seeing the demo videos, I was so exited that I literally ran down to the nearest bus stop, took it, and arrived at FutureShop right as it was opening, just to buy Spore. I got the galactic edition, and excitement was had. I noticed that the pictures inside were a little cartoonish, but I thought that was avoidable, and I could have made neat creatures too. I got home, threw the CD in, installed, began to play, and within a few hours had beaten everything up to about halfway through the space stage. I then promptly ejected the disc, calmly placed it back into it's case.

Thats the same exact story as me but i just never played it again lol

Now I know it’s likely to never be finished due to feature-creep and just how ambitious these guys have been with their improbable list of insanely complex features, but it’s the thought that counts.

An entire community building a 'spore-that-should-have-been', out of their frustration at the one we all got lumped with.

http://thrivegame.forum-free.ca/forum

A lot of their ideas go above and beyond what spore ever hoped to be.

Pity it'll probably never see the light of day. :'(

It looked amazing from 2005-2007, but then out of nowhere EA got the idea to fuck everything up and make it look cute. The franchise is pretty much dead now, all because of this. I hope EA learned a lesson.

Thrive will probably never go beyond concept stage, which is a shame. It simply looks too ambitious.

Like most people said >.< Game when first show in E3 looked epic, i was so excited when it came out. I bought the game played it, beat it and never played it again. It was NOTHING like what i had expected. Like someone said ocean stage was removed, i also expected there to be TONS of parts and expected skin types to actually do something like said in E3. And i was completely disappointed. No ocean stage and cell stage was a joke. There was practially no parts, and other stages lacked parts too. Nation stage or whatever it was called sucked balls, It was extremely easy. Galactic stage was repatative. Personally id rate it a 3/10. I wish i could get my money back :(