Retina or max. resolution override.

Hello all.

I would love to see Retina support or the ability to force the resolution. My macbook has a 2880x1800 resolution and due to the scaling apple does ksp thinks the max res is 1440x900. For some reason this setting can't be changed (I tried editing the settings.cfg, but that gives all sorts of weirdness).

What happens is that the UI has an insane size and if it is downscaled the quality of the ui elements drop.

If somebody has something to add, feel free to do so.

Well, sorry to say that I can't fix that for you. But I will ask, why are you using a laptop at that resolution?

Lower the res on the laptop and that should fix the problem. I'm playing on a 27" monitor at 2560x1440 and I don't see why I would need it to be any higher. So maybe give the lower res a try? I bet that after a few hours you wont even mind it.

3 hours ago, chrisb2e9 said:

Well, sorry to say that I can't fix that for you. But I will ask, why are you using a laptop at that resolution?

Lower the res on the laptop and that should fix the problem. I'm playing on a 27" monitor at 2560x1440 and I don't see why I would need it to be any higher. So maybe give the lower res a try? I bet that after a few hours you wont even mind it.

Why wouldn't I use it at that resolution? My screen supports it so why not? The problem is ksp thinks it is 1440x900, while it is double that.

4 hours ago, chrisb2e9 said:

The point of retina is that it's supposedly the maximum number of pixels/inch a human eye can discern, making everything as smooth & sharp as it's possible to get. 

It's not a major issue but it sure would nice to be able to run KSP on my 5K monitor without the UI scaling down ridiculously small. 

6 hours ago, benjee10 said:

The point of retina is that it's supposedly the maximum number of pixels/inch a human eye can discern, making everything as smooth & sharp as it's possible to get. 

It's not a major issue but it sure would nice to be able to run KSP on my 5K monitor without the UI scaling down ridiculously small. 

I'm pretty sure the point of retina is marketing. But I stand by my point, lower the resolution. You don't need it that high.

On 5/3/2016 at 8:48 PM, chrisb2e9 said:

I'm pretty sure the point of retina is marketing. But I stand by my point, lower the resolution. You don't need it that high.

I created an account just to disagree with you. Helmet has a legitimate question about a technical limitation or flaw in a piece of software and you presume to know what he needs. You yourself are playing at a resolution higher than most people have access to, but someone with a higher resolution than you should drop theirs? 

For OP, There is a UI scaling option on the first tab in the settings. I think if you double it it should look acceptable at full resolution on a rMBP. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.