Crashes Post 1.1.X Simple Question for the affected ones

AlamoVampire

le sigh, 2 runs today 1 for an hour then i shut down for errands, second run less than 10 minutes from click to play with about 7 of those being on the initial options screen, with start game being one of them, the rest of that time, barely a minute and 20 seconds or so was in the VAB. run as admin was the test theory. 

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:38 PM, AlamoVampire said:

Then it's all our machines, at least those affected, which is less likely than it being unity, which seems the most likely given evidence at hand.

Or maybe you all have one or several programs that are interacting with KSP/Unity.  I asked once before but I'll try once more has anybody experiencing crashes (I've had none, both 32 and 64 bit intensive use) tried to kill every single process on their computer that isn't essential to keeping the OS running?  Then run KSP to see if it helps, hurts makes no difference. 

Until this is done (hopefully by several people) given that not everyone is having problems I'm going to suspect some kind of interaction from one or more programs external to KSP/Unity, it certainly wouldn't be the first time in history that something like this has happened (and it may of course be that there are several causes and this is one of them for x% of users), and this has been especially true for complex simulators.  If it doesn't help then that is a step closer to finding the real problem; if it does help then tracking down the culprit shouldn't be too hard.

56 minutes ago, kBob said:

I asked once before but I'll try once more has anybody experiencing crashes (I've had none, both 32 and 64 bit intensive use) tried to kill every single process on their computer that isn't essential to keeping the OS running?  Then run KSP to see if it helps, hurts makes no difference. 

Of course, though "kill every single process" is a pretty ham-fisted way of going about it.
As I am running GNU/Linux, my procedure goes something like: Boot in runlevel 1 (AKA "recovery mode" :rolleyes:), su to normal user, start X session + TWM + Xterm, launch KSP.
Result: no change.
This pretty much rules out "programs external to KSP/Unity" IMO, I don't see how one can get much closer to the bare minimum operational OS configuration short of not starting X... but KSP needs X (and a basic WM if you want a mouse) to run.

Just now, steve_v said:

Of course, though "kill every single process" is a pretty ham-fisted way of going about it.
As I am running GNU/Linux, my procedure goes something like: Boot in runlevel 1 (AKA "recovery mode" :rolleyes:), su to normal user, start X session + TWM + Xterm, launch KSP.
Result: no change.
This pretty much rules out "programs external to KSP/Unity" IMO, I don't see how one can get much closer to the bare minimum operational OS configuration short of not starting X... but KSP needs X (and a basic WM if you want a mouse) to run.

Thanks.  Nothing ham fisted about it.  Most people are running Windows and each version of Windows has slightly different ways of clean booting (though all get down to msconfig which let's you kill off many processes in a checklist).  I was trying to keep things simple (36 years of working with PC's has taught me to keep it simple).  I'd assume if someone wanted to do this but wasn't sure how to they'd ask and I'd point them to step by step instructions from Microsoft (or Apple I'm sure I could find those instruction since I don't currently have a Mac).   Another way around this, in Windows, is to use task manager and kill off whatever doesn't stop the system from running enough to get KSP running, this has the advantage of not disturbing how the computer boots which some people prefer also it can list processes msconfig doesn't, but it can take awhile unless you already know which processes are mandatory for system stability).

I'd still like to see some others try it especially Windows users (since that's what I run, though dual booting Linux is in my future plans) since there may be more than one problem as I tried to explain; one data point isn't exactly definitive.    After that if it also doesn't help any Windows users I have some other ideas and would like to compare some things internal to KSP vs. how I'm doing it...but first we need to truly eliminate external causes.

But if you'd be willing we could try the in KSP comparisons.  Probably be best to do it via PM right now to keep this thread less cluttered.  I'm ignoring system specs right now since from what I've read this seems to be affecting a variety of systems from lap tops to fairly high powered.  So PM if you'd be willing to do a little hunting...something makes me run 100% and you less.

Every time my KSP has crashed without leaving a crash report, the last thing I did before it crashed was "Delete parts in the VAB or SPH".

Every. Single. Time.

Every time it's crashed WITH a crash report, it's been an Out Of Memory error.

Sometimes I can play 4 hours or more (lots of it in the VAB) without a single crash. Sometimes I place 5 parts and delete one, and it crashes (right after starting). I don't see any pattern for it, except that it's always the VAB or SPH, without fail.

I've heard rumors that this is a multithreading issue. If so, it's going to be harder than usual to figure out what's causing it.
I've heard other rumors that say setting the frame limiter to 180fps (as high as it will go), and disabling V-sync will help to reduce how often it occurs.
I always did that anyways, IDK if it's making my game crash less or not.

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4930k at stock clock (3.4Ghz, 6 physical cores with hyperthreading)

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black edition

GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX 970, (driver v361.91) (ASUS Strix if that makes any difference)

RAM: 16GB DDR3 Mushkin (4x 4Gb)

KSP is installed on a Samsung 840 Evo 128GB SSD. No idea if it helps load times or not.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem with my computer. I built the thing 9 months ago and haven't had any major issues once I got it running (UEFI is not MFT, and they're not compatible).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.